Angioplasty

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

muffin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Angioplasty

Post by muffin »

Sitting in the hospital right now waiting to be taken for an angioplasty and all I can think about is "will I lose my license and for how long". Right now I have a class 3 medical. Anyone out there go thru this??
---------- ADS -----------

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Angioplasty

Post by bobm »

Should not be a big worry. Not sure what hoops you will have to jump through or how long. We have a guy here with a pacemaker and has had it for years.

Good luck.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

From "Guidelines for the Assessment of Cardiovascular Fitness in Licensed Aviation Personnel 2012", 4th edition, put out by TCCA medicine:

"Following Revascularization

An applicant who has been treated for coronary artery disease by revascularization including bypass surgery, angioplasty with or without stenting, directional atherectomy etc., can be considered for medical certification after an interval of 6 months, with testing completed not earlier than 5 months after the revascularization. The criteria for consideration are the same as following an ACS (above).

The older individual and/or those with increased complexity of coronary disease, e.g., multi-vessel involvement will likely need ongoing yearly assessments."

muffin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muffin »

Thanx for the info. Skies look brighter.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I had a heart attack but a stent was installed and that fixed the problem and after 9 months I was back in the saddle. Then I had a second stent put in and was off flight operations for 6 months. Had to do stress tests on a treadmill on a regular basis (every 5 years). Finally I had a restriction that I had to fly with a co-pilot on commercial ops but could have that restriction lifted for private flying. Bt a lot had to do with advanced age so I retired.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

I have a friend that had a full heart transplant approx. 10 yrs ago and has full medical re-instated with no restrictions . He is still current right now

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
JZA Dxer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JZA Dxer »

fleet16b wrote:I have a friend that had a full heart transplant approx. 10 yrs ago and has full medical re-instated with no restrictions . He is still current right now
I would love to get more info on this as that is my exact situation and I was under the impression that I was S.O.L. for a medical.

JZA Dxer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JZA Dxer »

I just realized we had PM'd back and forth a while ago but I never was able to get a response from your friend.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

I don't think he is an internet/computer guy
Kinda old school

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
muffin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muffin »

Update. Has been a year and a bit since my procedure. Didn't get my medical back until April 2018. Just in time to fly to Fun n Sun. Yippee. Had a great time. When I went to the doctor at that time I was informed that my diabetes was on a steady upward progression and if I didn't do something drastic that insulin was in my future. If anyone has dealt with insulin and flying before they can say its no fun. Test before flight and every 30 min in flight. Was looking at an end to my flying adventures. So I did what everyone does these days and got on the internet to find answers. Diet Doctor had everything I was looking for. Back to today's date. Yesterday my doctor asked me to stop my pills for diabetes as my A1C was 5.7. Traditionally it was 7-8. Wow. After 10 years of being diabetic to not?? Just changing my diet brought my levels to normal. Hope this helps out anyone in my same situation. Clear skies.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well done muffin. Inspirational read.

Changing ones diet can be tough. It's an ongoing project here but I keep working on it.

I miss the soda pop and have to have one on occasion. I was never hitting it by the gallon but I never experienced any weight loss any time I quit it either.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Wow - that's awesome muffin! I got the "fat letter" a while back from the RAMO ("your BMI is high.." yada yada) and have been struggling with it ever since. Thanks for letting us know that changing your lifestyle is possible - BTW, do you have any spare willpower lying around ;)

chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chris_h1976 »

Wow Muffin! That is amazing, congratulations!

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

HiFlyChick wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 am Wow - that's awesome muffin! I got the "fat letter" a while back from the RAMO ("your BMI is high.." yada yada) and have been struggling with it ever since. Thanks for letting us know that changing your lifestyle is possible - BTW, do you have any spare willpower lying around ;)
HiFlyChick, Are you located in the Atlantic Canada region? I have heard that it's only the RAMO in Atlantic Canada (also in charge of the International region) that sends out this BMI letter. Although this particular medical issue doesn't directly impact me (yet), I have quite an issue with different standard being applied in different regions.

To the OPS, good job on the change of diet and getting your medical back!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Great news Muffin, good work!

My current motivation to loose weight is so I can take a passenger & fuel in the J3!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

JBI wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:51 am HiFlyChick, Are you located in the Atlantic Canada region? I have heard that it's only the RAMO in Atlantic Canada (also in charge of the International region) that sends out this BMI letter. Although this particular medical issue doesn't directly impact me (yet), I have quite an issue with different standard being applied in different regions.
Yup - I am indeed in Atlantic Canada - that's a little concerning that they're more focused on us.... <ahem> better insulated people ;)

Mine actually mentioned my blood pressure too, but I was seeing a new CAME who was, quite frankly, nuts. He started off lecturing me (because I said I didn't drink), then he began berating me, then finally ended up practically yelling at me. And THEN he said to hop up on the table while he took my blood pressure.... Yeah - that went well....

Anyway, so far nothing has come of it, but I recognize that I do indeed need to eat better and get some exercise in any case. I used to do karate for exercise but my club closed, so I'm still looking for something that I can actually stick with and not hate

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

so I'm still looking for something that I can actually stick with and not hate
Have you tried golf?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Walking seems to be better for an aging metabolism than cardio. Taking the stairs every time instead of an escalator is probably good too.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

HiFlyChick wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:46 pm Mine actually mentioned my blood pressure too, but I was seeing a new CAME who was, quite frankly, nuts. He started off lecturing me (because I said I didn't drink), then he began berating me, then finally ended up practically yelling at me. And THEN he said to hop up on the table while he took my blood pressure.... Yeah - that went well....
Funny, I went to a new guy this spring and after the no booze/smoking questions he started in on me about the state of the industry... and then he says my blood pressure is a point too high and he's well within his rights to deny my Cat. 1. :roll:

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 pm
so I'm still looking for something that I can actually stick with and not hate
Have you tried golf?
I've tried the occasional game, but I need something that doesn't take half the day to do, and frankly, I'm not so sure that my blood pressure wouldn't go up with that - I'm pretty awful (as a pilot should I actually admit that I'm pretty uncoordinated and clumsy?). All the clambering around in the rough does give me a lot of exercise, though.... :)

Return to “General Comments”