Category 1 with past marijuana use?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Awong98
Rank 0
Rank 0

Category 1 with past marijuana use?

Post by Awong98 »

I did a category 1 medical exam today and was asked if I used marijuana (specifically), to which I answered yes (my morals and stupidity took over). My AME was unsure of what that meant for my medical and told me it would be passed on to a "head" examiner and i would receive a letter from him/her. To be clear, I did use marijuana in the past but i have stopped since beginning my training a few weeks back for my PPL. At this point I am extremely worried I have failed my medical and jeopardized my career of wanting to be a pilot. I understand the mistake that Ive made and I am simply unsure what I will hear back from this "head" examiner. I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar or what the procedure for marijuana use is for Transport Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Category 1 with past marijuana use?

Post by cncpc »

Awong98 wrote:I did a category 1 medical exam today and was asked if I used marijuana (specifically), to which I answered yes (my morals and stupidity took over). My AME was unsure of what that meant for my medical and told me it would be passed on to a "head" examiner and i would receive a letter from him/her. To be clear, I did use marijuana in the past but i have stopped since beginning my training a few weeks back for my PPL. At this point I am extremely worried I have failed my medical and jeopardized my career of wanting to be a pilot. I understand the mistake that Ive made and I am simply unsure what I will hear back from this "head" examiner. I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar or what the procedure for marijuana use is for Transport Canada.
I've never heard of that question being asked. I think the question is whether you have ever been treated for substance abuse, addiction, something along those lines.

In fact, I know there is no question that asks specifically about marijuana. If there was and it was disqualifying, this pilot shortage is nothing compared to what that would cause. I doubt that I know a pilot who hasn't smoked marijuana. Smoking it while practicing as a pilot, that's a different thing.

I think you got an AME with Reefer Madness in his video library.

Keep us updated.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I checked the form. There is no question specifically about marijuana. It asks if you've been treated for alcohol or substance abuse. That is all in that regard.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

cncpc wrote:
I doubt that I know a pilot who hasn't smoked marijuana.
Never did, never will. I'm not a degenerate and I don't believe I'm alone in this industry.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Degenerates....? :roll: someone sure has a inflated opinion of themselves...

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

just go to another doctor and get a medical and be smarter when the questions are asked. Believe it or not a large amount of pilots smoke they are just care full with who they tell. I have had about 20 or so medicals never been asked once but i know people that have been and they lost there medicals because they said yes.

WastedFlyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WastedFlyer »

daedalusx wrote:
cncpc wrote:
I doubt that I know a pilot who hasn't smoked marijuana.
Never did, never will. I'm not a degenerate and I don't believe I'm alone in this industry.
I thought it was just me... (seriously...)
Once at the office (different industry, nothing aviation-related), I commented to a co-worker (whom I considered a good friend) that I was amazed about how many of our co-workers seemed to smoke pot... She looked at me, puzzled at my comment, and said that she was sure I was the ONLY one in the whole office who DIDN'T smoke pot... I really felt out of place... :?

WastedFlyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WastedFlyer »

Awong98 wrote:I did a category 1 medical exam today and was asked if I used marijuana (specifically), to which I answered yes (my morals and stupidity took over). My AME was unsure of what that meant for my medical and told me it would be passed on to a "head" examiner and i would receive a letter from him/her. To be clear, I did use marijuana in the past but i have stopped since beginning my training a few weeks back for my PPL. At this point I am extremely worried I have failed my medical and jeopardized my career of wanting to be a pilot. I understand the mistake that Ive made and I am simply unsure what I will hear back from this "head" examiner. I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar or what the procedure for marijuana use is for Transport Canada.
Awong, not sure if that helps, but the medical is not just to assess the physical aspects. As I understand it, the doctor would also try to assess your "mental suitability" to fly an airplane... Personally, I think it's praiseworthy that you were straightforward and told the truth, I don't think that telling the truth was "stupid", and I'm hoping that whoever is deciding on your case will take that in account... I rather have a trustworthy pilot who used marijuana years ago, than someone who never did drugs but would try to get away by lying, cutting corners and doing whatever is "easier" (not "safer"...) Good luck!

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Mari-ju-wana's bad.... m'kay? Cause mari-ju-wana's a drug, and drugs are bad... m'kay. You shouldn't do drugs, cause drugs are bad, m'kay?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Blueontop wrote:Degenerates....? :roll: someone sure has a inflated opinion of themselves...
That's what I was thinking, but I decided to pass no remarks.

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

Too funny! Even if previous use is an issue(which it isn't), it will be legal in 13 months (assuming JT & the Sunshine band don't do another flip flop).
Maybe Garneau will mandate pre-flight tongue swabs. LOL

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Then we won't be degenerates anymore. Yay

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

It may become legal but if you want a good job they will still make you pee in a bottle. The companies want none of it so you can happily, legally smoke up and be unemployed. Also, just try and get into the USA.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

av8ts wrote:Then we won't be degenerates anymore. Yay
You still will if you don't buy from Trudeau's stock market listed buddies' companies.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

xsbank wrote:It may become legal but if you want a good job they will still make you pee in a bottle. The companies want none of it so you can happily, legally smoke up and be unemployed. Also, just try and get into the USA.
What world do you live in? :roll:

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Just to emphasise again, a doctor can't ask you if you smoke marijuana. Or are gay, or voted for Trump. Other things, that depending on your perspective, may indicate degeneracy.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

xsbank wrote:but if you want a good job they will still make you pee in a bottle.
Same if you want a crappy job in a lot of places. This perceived safety of pre-employment and random drug testing will be quickly adapted for the new laws. Employers will want to look like they're being "safe" for their insurance and the drug testing companies are doing it strictly for $$$$, they have no moral standing. Anecdotally, the money that employers spend on testing could actually increase safety in other areas to a higher percentage, say fatigue mitigation.

The issue here isn't about which drugs are legal, it's more about what they can get away with. There is a good reason we don't have mass drug testing in Canada. We are not the U.S.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

atphat wrote:
xsbank wrote:It may become legal but if you want a good job they will still make you pee in a bottle. The companies want none of it so you can happily, legally smoke up and be unemployed. Also, just try and get into the USA.
The 1950s apparently.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

atphat wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say Alberta world.

There are legitimate concerns over the use of cannabis and working in aviation, however. Not just concerns over currently impaired on the job, but the long term effects of elevated use patterns in relation to inner ear problems and vertigo, and short term memory loss, as examples.

Border guards aren't trying to keep you out of the USA because you smoked pot. They know most Canadians between 18 and 70 have smoked pot. It's a question they ask when they have some other personal reason to keep you out. Like a Hilary bumper sticker.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

dogfood wrote:just go to another doctor and get a medical and be smarter when the questions are asked. Believe it or not a large amount of pilots smoke they are just care full with who they tell. I have had about 20 or so medicals never been asked once but i know people that have been and they lost there medicals because they said yes.
Most definitely do NOT do that. Your doctor has likely forwarded the form to the RMO (regional medical officer) for review (they all go there eventually anyway). If they get a form about you from another doctor with a different set of answers alarm bells will go off.

Return to “General Comments”