Westjet bumps pax after launching ad campaign that it doesn't

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Westjet bumps pax after launching ad campaign that it doesn't

Post by altiplano »

Westjet bumps passengers after launching ad campaign that it doesn't bump passengers.

Nice timing... $200 for a 2 day delay? Watch out for Gabor.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/no ... -1.4162822

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/we ... -1.4151790
---------- ADS -----------

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Westjet bumps pax after launching ad campaign that it doesn't

Post by Canoehead »

Only catch; they "bumped" them long before the ad campaign.

delta1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by delta1 »

WHAT?! CBC is actually reporting something negative about WJ????? :lol:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

delta1 wrote:WHAT?! CBC is actually reporting something negative about WJ????? :lol:
It's a whole new world.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

Nice try.

Westjet screwing up the logistics / routings / schedule of a biking team does not make their business strategy or commercial false :D .

As per the story, Westjet did NOT bump passengers as a result of a disgraceful overbooking business practice. The original AC was not available for reasons which were not clearly explained. This happens every day, with every airline across the country. A smaller aircraft filled the gap thus tossing a wrench into some peoples plans.

There is a stark difference being bumped for overbooking and bumped because of unforeseen wx related circumstances. It happens. WJ could have handled it differently. They will pay out with a refund / vouchers and it will be swept under the rug.

Hardly a story compared to Air Canada overbooking blunders

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Gravol wrote:Nice try.

Westjet screwing up the logistics / routings / schedule of a biking team does not make their business strategy or commercial false :D .

As per the story, Westjet did NOT bump passengers as a result of a disgraceful overbooking business practice. The original AC was not available for reasons which were not clearly explained. This happens every day, with every airline across the country. A smaller aircraft filled the gap thus tossing a wrench into some peoples plans.

There is a stark difference being bumped for overbooking and bumped because of unforeseen wx related circumstances. It happens. WJ could have handled it differently. They will pay out with a refund / vouchers and it will be swept under the rug.

Sure...

But at AC you would never an Airbus swapped out for a Q400...

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

groundpilot wrote:
Gravol wrote:Nice try.

Sure...

But at AC you would never an Airbus swapped out for a Q400...

You're right.

AC would shit can the entire flight and leave you stranded

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Nice try Gravol.

Please don't hijack this thread. It's about Westjet bumping the poor underprivileged youth bike racing team. Weather? Where? Probably down gauged for an anemic load.

Deflect and deny all you want. Gabor is getting involved and he will see justice for these poor guys I am sure...

AC might have more bad stories, but aside from the fact media likes the exploitation with the name recognition factor, and bring out the crazies that have a hate on AC because "it's tax payer funded and I heard they lost my neighbours bag in 1983", I think it's largely because of the fact there are 4x as many people flying to 2.5x as many destinations on 3x as many continents for 4x as many years...

and honestly the timing of the ad with the story is pretty funny... it happens to every airline, except westjet, until now.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

altiplano wrote:Nice try Gravol.

Please don't hijack this thread. It's about Westjet bumping the poor underprivileged youth bike racing team. Weather? Where? Probably down gauged for an anemic load.

Deflect and deny all you want. Gabor is getting involved and he will see justice for these poor guys I am sure...

AC might have more bad stories, but aside from the fact media likes the exploitation with the name recognition factor, and bring out the crazies that have a hate on AC because "it's tax payer funded and I heard they lost my neighbours bag in 1983", I think it's largely because of the fact there are 4x as many people flying to 2.5x as many destinations on 3x as many continents for 4x as many years...

and honestly the timing of the ad with the story is pretty funny... it happens to every airline, except westjet, until now.
No hijacking a thread. I also do not resort to those lame arguments regarding tax payer funding. It happened and it's history. Anyway it just came to me .... the CBC / Air Canada actually have something in common.

I am allowed to openly disagree given my personal experience with both Air Canada and Westjet. A subjective experience, is just that. You have some who have had horrible WJ experiences. It just so happens I have had far more success with West Jet when it comes to work / personal travel and I travel a lot.

I do not believe the media exploits Air Canada for the sake of being Air Canada. My proof is this deluded CBC story attempting to label WJ business practice in the same light.

WJ does not OVERBOOK flights, period. Dance around it all you want. This one story in particular doesn't even register on the radar as a shocker or story. Just a shitty experience whereby some people were heavily inconvenienced. I will say one more time, that is different than overselling multiple flights by 5-10 seats over a holiday / long weekend. No doubt though rank and fashion Air Canada party members are stroking it to this "news" story.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Majority of my airline flying over the many decades as a passenger be it pleasure or business has been with AC and being honest, I never experienced one tenth of the shit I read about in the media on Air Canada.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lol. OK Gravol.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Old fella wrote:Majority of my airline flying over the many decades as a passenger be it pleasure or business has been with AC and being honest, I never experienced one tenth of the shit I read about in the media on Air Canada.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Back to reality, the media will publish anything just to make a story, warranted or not. Does anybody here really take the media seriously? It's all about a juicy story. Bottom feeders for sure.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

Air Canada is the North Korea of Canadian air travel

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Gravol wrote:Air Canada is the North Korea of Canadian air travel
You must be fun at parties...

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

The last two two times I was on an air Canada this year that had a maintenance issue, both were less than 2 hour delay and replaced with an aircraft same size or larger. Pretty small inconvenience must say I was pleasantly surprised at how fast we were all deplaned and switched to another machine.

I know it may not always work out this way but AC was pretty fantastic those days.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

sanjet wrote:
:lol:

I think i will go back to the bar for another beverage. :lol:

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

AC, United get lots of media attention....cause they have lots of incidents.

Cathay, Singapore, other real top tier airlines ... get no attention, cause they have almost no incidents. Safety or otherwise. Don't recall too many Cathay "hard landings" -- and they fly all over the world, too.

Don't see this as overly complicated.

YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

The WJ fan girls are out in full force on this one

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

mato wrote:The last two two times I was on an air Canada this year that had a maintenance issue, both were less than 2 hour delay and replaced with an aircraft same size or larger. Pretty small inconvenience must say I was pleasantly surprised at how fast we were all deplaned and switched to another machine.

I know it may not always work out this way but AC was pretty fantastic those days.

So you were pleasantly surprised at how fast they got you off and, in the end, at no added discomfort because the AC remained roughly the same size... or larger?

Please tell me more man. This is wicked . I am also pleasantly surprised .

sanjet wrote:

Bro, first round on me!

Return to “General Comments”