Canadian Runway Markings Q'n.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Canadian Runway Markings Q'n.

Post by FL_CH »

I'm sure you all know that in Canada, the runway markings are not painted fully in paint, but rather are made of stripes.

Having seen [images of] a number of runways wolrdwide, and they don't seem to apply this technique.

Anyone knows if there is any operational advantage in painting the markings like this except for saving money?
---------- ADS -----------

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
Isis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Isis »

To hazard an educated guess, I would think something to do with our extreme temperatures.

The runway expanding and contracting with the changes of the seasons... not to mention from night to day.

Once again, just an educated guess... would be interested to know the real logic behind it aswell.

- Isis

Keep Flyin'!
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Transport Canada...
would be interested to know the real logic behind it aswell
Transport Canada...

Lewis1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lewis1 »

I flew out of gander all the summer past getting my ppl on a cessna 172N. while therethe runway 27 09 did have solid markings. then on the 5 of jully was shut down till the the 25 of july to be re painted, when the runway was operational it was the usal stripes. But I found that when your looking for a 1.800 ft runway in the middle of unservicable 10,000ft runway the stripes make it harder to see when you first start looking for it. So like yeah Transport probably has some reason for it. But T.C. changes all the time so it could be pink and purple by next week.

Don
rippey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rippey »

I like the solid runway markings that they have down south much better. I am pretty glad to have the EGPWS callouts down from 50' when landing on a 200' wide runway on a crappy low viz night...those striped centreline markings don't show up at all...you end up just fishing for the ground.

Here's another one...why can't we get some grooved runways up here in Canada? I've heard it's because of the cold climate...water getting into the grooves, freezing and busting the runway up. But they have grooved runways all over the new england states which get just as cold, and they seem to manage.

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172pilot »

the runways in the US are marked much better. i like the white edge stripe but the overall painting quality is the way our runways should be. only thing i can think of is saving money. an american buddy of mine landed in yyc the other day and first question was... was rwy 16/34 non precision?... why are the markings so poor?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Having worked for an asphalt contractor for years, not directly - just on the sidelines looking in, one factor is the cost and technology required to paint runway markings. If you want solid lines, it takes speciaized equipment, required only at airports but if you make up the markings as stiped lines, ordinary highway marking paint machines will work. Quite often you will see test markings on the highways where different types of markings are tested so what will work in New England may not work in Alberta, for many reasons. Inlaid plastic markings stand up to wear and tear very well but get slippery when wet. Painted lines also get slippery when wet or FROSTY. By using stripes, braking action is improved. What realy surprises me is the airport authorities repaint lines about every 3 years with paint that only last 2.5 years and sometimes the yellow centerline markings on the taxiways are hard to find. Here in Canada, we favour asphalt as opposed to concrete because asphalt is more flexible than concrete and more easily repaired. Concrete will crack when it heaves, where asphalt will flex a bit. Some of those heaves will repair themselves in the heat of summer as traffic rolls over them. Concrete is used extensivly in the warmer states in the USA because it does not soften in the heat and will last almost twice as long as asphalt. Concrete is used where heavy airplanes are parked to prevent them from sinking through softer asphalt in the heat of summer. Just wait till they pull that 747 out of YQT. I will bet wheel depressions will be there unless it is sitting on concrete. This is where the expression "hardstands" comes from. Concrete parking spots.Grooves will not work as well on softer asphalt and will fill full of snow and ice in winter. Just look at city streets where a profiler has ground away damaged or worn portions of the street and they did not repave it before winter set in. They get real slippery. Runways are grooved only in places where they get a lot of rain and/or a bunch of airplanes went skidding off the ends and politicians were asked embarassing questions or wose yet, were on board the airplane when it went skidding off the end. Just remember that safety does not come first, cost does. IMHO

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
rippey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rippey »

good explanation...thanks oldtimer

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Almost everything you never wanted to know about airport design in Canada is found in TP 312 - Aerodrome Standards & Recommended Practices.

Section 5 addresses markings and indicates the following:
5.2.1.7 Standard. — Markings are described in this chapter as solid areas. They may consist of either solid colour or striated, employing a series of longitudinal painted lines. Where striated markings are used they shall cover the same area as described for the solid marking and the width of the paint lines and the spacing between them should be of approximately the same size giving an overall effect of at least 50% paint coverage.
So it would appear that the option is the airport operator's and oldtimer has pretty much nailed it with his description.

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

Lovely,

Thanks for clearing it up :smt038

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"

Return to “General Comments”