Northern Air Carriers Feeling the Pinch.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Northern Air Carriers Feeling the Pinch.

Post by jpilot77 »

---------- ADS -----------

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Northern Air Carriers Feeling the Pinch.

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I feel so bad for them. :goodman:

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I seriously laughed the whole way through that article.

But I expect no less from the CBC.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

6000 pilots short. Huh?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Yet some northern operations will still post looking for "entry level pilots" to slog it out on the ramp/ground for a few years in hope of flying one-day.

Times are changing. Adapt or die.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Someone should let Mikey know that Air Canada Jazz hasn't existed for years now...

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

"Adapt or die"

They are.
Boeing has announced they will be testing self flying planes this summer.

Thank God, the thought of putting my family on airplanes flown by the entitled Millennials I have seen over the past decade is terrifying.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

phillyfan wrote:"Adapt or die"

They are.

Thank God, the thought of putting my family on airplanes flown by the entitled Millennials I have seen over the past decade is terrifying.
This is sarcasm right? I feel bad having to ask but at least half of that post struck me as absurd.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

They are.

I'm sorry, guess I must have missed the PGI on the benefits of tossing bags for 2 or 3 years and putting up with abuse to keep ones flying skills sharp and people's families safe.

Thank God indeed for Boeing and forward thinkers like yourself.

703doge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 703doge »

Tail-Chaser wrote:

They are.

This is sarcasm right? I feel bad having to ask but at least half of that post struck me as absurd.

If it's not sarcasm, he's probably from the generation who raised the "entitled millenials".

Bork Bork
MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

The Air Transport Association of Canada estimates the industry will face a shortage of 6,000 pilots over the next 20 years, due to low wages for new pilots and the high cost of training.
If only there was some way to correct that...
"People don't stick around as long anymore," says Mikey McBryan, general manager of Buffalo Airways.
Maybe it's not them, it's you?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

MrWings wrote:
The Air Transport Association of Canada estimates the industry will face a shortage of 6,000 pilots over the next 20 years, due to low wages for new pilots and the high cost of training.
If only there was some way to correct that...
"People don't stick around as long anymore," says Mikey McBryan, general manager of Buffalo Airways.
Maybe it's not them, it's you?
Its almost as if the operators are pushing this now, so as to have flight training subsidized, instead of, you know, paying appropriately!

Wages haven't changed much in 25 years..

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I wouldn't snicker at this so called " shortage" at all. Why...... look at demographics, in my day I came from a family of six youngins. Very rare is it to see that this past 30 odd years, I have just 2 offspring and the oldest has one and there may be another they are not sure. Here in the Maritimes population of all the Provinces is dwindling big time. In order to keep the place(Maritime) going, immigrantion is a must, bigger problem is keeping them here. In order the replenish our population we have to make more ourself or bring others in.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Things are definitely swinging in favour of pilots - finally. Most airlines are in growth mode these days. Adding capacity, airplanes and pilots. Lets face it hiring in Canada at every level is driven by the two players at the top. When they hire, everyone moves up. Factor in TS and Sunwing (if they hire any Canadians at all) and you have a definite demand on pilots. It may be a good time for WS and their ULCC to be negotiating a contract. The pace of growth at both WS and AC account for nearly every ATPL pilot produced last year.

There was an article saying that Alaska was cancelling flights over the summer because of staffing issues. Many US carriers are offering increased salaries, signing bonuses and lucrative overtime packages. This hasn't moved north of the border yet. I'm not aware of anyone offering better salaries just to attract or retain pilots. Perhaps many executives can't see the forest for the trees. There's no pilot shortage until we have to cancel a flight because of a shortage of pilots. I'm pretty sure that's the approach my company is taking.

What worries me is a pending economic event. Alberta's economy aside, we have been in a bull market for a very long time now. This is the 4th longest bull market since the great depression. If a recession and or housing correction hit the majority of Canada the reduced numbers of travelers would put things back into balanced territory. Balanced job markets means that everyone can go back to doing what they've always done.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

BE20 Driver wrote: Perhaps many executives can't see the forest for the trees. There's no pilot shortage until we have to cancel a flight because of a shortage of pilots. I'm pretty sure that's the approach my company is taking.
Thats pretty much the case. Nobody in management at present has ever seen such a thing happen and they have their heads buried in the sand.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

None of the current management has seen it, but long retired or deceased persons have seen it.

Good old TCA/Air Canada were actually visiting flying clubs when things were booming in the sixties. The big name carriers in the US were visiting canadian air bases for recruits.

I missed the boat because I was 12 at the time, but it looks like the same scenario seems to be playing out. And I am out of the business because of age and circumstances.

It's all about timing boys and girls.

The timing right now is impeccable. Take advantage of it.

I remember the days where you had to be an astronaut just to fly a single engine otter.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

703doge wrote:
Tail-Chaser wrote:

They are.

If it's not sarcasm, he's probably from the generation who raised the "entitled millenials".
I love these twats who spout on about "entitles millenials"...

Should we touch on how wages are trending down in many airline positions, but property and living costs have sky rocketed in the last few decades? Or perhaps jump into the discussion about raising the retirement age, so these "superior beings" can continue earning big bucks to pay of their 4th ex-wife, alimony and supplement their lavish lifestyles and poor financial decisions.... :roll:

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

PointyEngine wrote:
703doge wrote:
Tail-Chaser wrote:

I love these twats who spout on about "entitles millenials"...

Should we touch on how wages are trending down in many airline positions, but property and living costs have sky rocketed in the last few decades? Or perhaps jump into the discussion about raising the retirement age, so these "superior beings" can continue earning big bucks to pay of their 4th ex-wife, alimony and supplement their lavish lifestyles and poor financial decisions.... :roll:[/quote

That's pretty much what all the millennials say. Sad in a way. The old are the villains, the new know so much better.
Sorry to point it out, but someday you will also be old. I gather that you will be a superior product than your predecessors.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Given how quickly the world has changed in the last 2-3 decades, I'm not surprised that there's a huge disconnect between the boomer and millennial generations

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The boomers parented and raised the millennials. With few exceptions, kids listen to their parents and turn out the way they are raised. Millennials expect good jobs, wages, pensions, etc. because that's generally what their parents have, and in their teenage years, were taught to expect from adulthood.

Now in the work force, millennials are watching houses become unaffordable, cost of living increase, pensions and benefits going away and wages decreasing. This is also at the hands of boomers (current contract at Jazz being a prime example). Millennials are watching the generation that raised them take away the lifestyle they were told to expect. Yes, there is going to be some resentment.

Return to “General Comments”