Having a tattoo on arm ?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Scott44
Rank 1
Rank 1

Having a tattoo on arm ?

Post by Scott44 »

what's most major airlines rules or small airlines or even corporate flying, on having a full length sleeve tattoo on one of your arms?? Would you be turned away because of this ?
---------- ADS -----------

Scott Johnson
Victoria
Full Ins
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Having a tattoo on arm ?

Post by Full Ins »

Just wear a long sleeve shirt to the interview if you are worried. There's a few guys at work with visible ink. Corporate might be a different game as I don't know much about any of their operations... I'd assume it's very highly personal there.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I know a guy flying a Boeing in Canada with a neck tattoo. Just cover it up for the interview and you should be fine.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Bunch of people with em at AC, Sky and Jazz.

I've got one on my wrist and no one notices.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

As long as you don't have an anaconda crawling out of your bum....never mind, they'd never see it in an interview......or would they?
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

You're so funny.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I don't think it is any big deal, but that's me.

The "problem" is HR, and you never know what "HR" thinks, moreover, they are the kings who make decisions based on personal likes and rarely look at competence. And they have undeserved authority.

Get past these people, which is a hard thing, after that, your are good to go.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Depends on the tatoo of course :)

Attachments
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG (19.16 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

* thought better of it

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Legally speaking, they have the option of not hiring you. That being said I have friends at AC WJ PO and AT with tons of ink work.

Also, I doubt they care as long as it's not a swastika on your forehead.

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

Oh goodness, I'd assume that in 2017 tattoos are pretty much a non-issue. Hell, the guy who gives me my Timmy's at the drive through has piercings and stretched other things and it's normal now.

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

"Hi, welcome aboard Air Canada flight 123. My name is Rockie, and I'll be your captain today!"

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Like a poster above said, depending on what kind and who is making the decisions, if I were HR you'd have to overcome my bias against tattoos. I told my kids, if they want to be a professional anything get your tattoos where only people you want to see them, can!
I've seen a guy in uniform with a full sleeve tat and can't see him as a professional, too me he's a guy who makes poor choices. I had a male nurse come to get me from the waiting room with a shaved head that was covered in spiderweb tattoo extending down his neck past the collar, I had no trust in his ability to do his job, I'm sure he can but I couldn't see past the ink, so be thankful I'm not in charge of the hiring, clearly I'm biased and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Question, even in this day and age, would everyone be ok with a teacher who has a huge influence on our children, having the above mentioned type of tattoos?

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

mbav8r wrote:Question, even in this day and age, would everyone be ok with a teacher who has a huge influence on our children, having the above mentioned type of tattoos?
Yes, if the teacher is a competent and capable educator. What an absolutely facile argument. Would you choose a lawyer based on her haircut? Would you choose a realtor based on the colour of his tie? Or would you hire the most capable person available regardless of appearance? I would much rather have a nurse with tattoos who knows what he's doing than one with pure skin who might put an air bubble in my veins. Would you hire a pilot with no tattoos and 200 hours TT, or one covered with tattoos who has 10000 hours TT, 8000 hours on the type being operated, and an immaculate safety record? One of those is much more likely than the other to fly the plane into a mountain, and it has absolutely nothing to do with appearance.
I have some tattoos from my time in the military of which I'm very proud; they represent my service to the country that I love and served. Does that show poor decision-making and a lack of professionalism? Visible tattoos are acceptable to the CAF, which has a very strict policy on appearance, but even that policy wouldn't be stringent enough for you?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Meh nvmd

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I have family and friends who have tattoos where they can be hidden by clothing. IMHO anyone with facial tattoos has a mental health problem

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote:Or would you hire the most capable person available regardless of appearance?
The appearance is unfortunately the only info paying customers get about their pilots. If company A has tattooed (how do you spell that?) pilots and company B does not, some customers, especially charter or vip jet customers, might be more inclined to fly with company B. I doubt they'd go through the resumes of the tattood and non-tattood pilots.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Diadem wrote:
mbav8r wrote:Question, even in this day and age, would everyone be ok with a teacher who has a huge influence on our children, having the above mentioned type of tattoos?
Yes, if the teacher is a competent and capable educator. What an absolutely facile argument. Would you choose a lawyer based on her haircut? Would you choose a realtor based on the colour of his tie? Or would you hire the most capable person available regardless of appearance? I would much rather have a nurse with tattoos who knows what he's doing than one with pure skin who might put an air bubble in my veins. Would you hire a pilot with no tattoos and 200 hours TT, or one covered with tattoos who has 10000 hours TT, 8000 hours on the type being operated, and an immaculate safety record? One of those is much more likely than the other to fly the plane into a mountain, and it has absolutely nothing to do with appearance.
I have some tattoos from my time in the military of which I'm very proud; they represent my service to the country that I love and served. Does that show poor decision-making and a lack of professionalism? Visible tattoos are acceptable to the CAF, which has a very strict policy on appearance, but even that policy wouldn't be stringent enough for you?
I figured there would be a strong response, there is a huge difference between a few tattoos and entire body parts covered in snakes and lighting bolts or spiderweb, too each there own but like I said I am biased against hells angels wannabes in a professional atmosphere.
How about two people up for the same job, one has "pure" skin the other covered in tattoos, equally qualified, does having a few tattoos yourself bias you towards hiring the one covered in them?
Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who are covered in them in fact my oldest child's significant other, who we very much like has a few thousand dollars in ink, included the full sleeve

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

For me it would give something to talk about in the interview. Hey, cool ink, is there a story behind, do you mind sharing. Might find something very interesting useful about the individual. Maybe he is ex infantry and has combat experience and was done to remember his unit or friends he lost. You could find similar interesting things from many different careers or life events that may have inspired that tattoo that might tell you something useful about the person. If dude says, nah man I just got drunk one night and got some ink that tells you something too.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Never could understand why a human being, who is ever changing as they grow and evolve would stamp something permanent on themselves. That's like me having to decide, when I'm 20 or something, what kind of haircut I will have for the rest of my life. I agree, something small and specific can be timeless, like a child's name but a sleeve, neck or face? OMG. Terrible.

Everything's amazing right now, and nobody's happy.
- Louis CK

Return to “General Comments”