PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Simpleton wrote:
Schooner69A wrote:
Simpleton:

Do you have a dog in this fight?

J

Nope, not at all. But I know all the players involved in this case. The outcome of this case has ramifications for planned airport development everywhere. Last count was around $2.2-2.6 million in hangar development is now sitting in limbo with at least 3 companies that were planning to pick up land at Whitecourt...all on hold over this pissing match over jurisdiction.

And because of Jonas' shenanigans, land that was going to be sold to pay for development costs, may not be sold....they only want to do leases now (to exercise some control). Those lots available need a huge amount of earth work to bring them up to suitable grade. The cost to the county to do that work, would mean land lease costs that nobody would pay. If you could buy the lot, you'd pay....but at least it would be a titled lot. Try getting financing on a leased lot....it's dicey.

So, until the "Jonas" issue is sorted out....pretty much everybody who was gearing up to purchase and build in Whitecourt has shelved their plans for now.

Good buy a lot in Parkland and move to Spruce Grove I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Questions for Discovery and Interrogatories:

What communications took place between the helicopter operator, council and various airport managers?

Previous airport managers might be loquacious.

Kindly produce copies of correspondence and council minutes on all airport matters, including in camera proceedings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Simpleton wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
Simpleton wrote:
Likely echoing in that empty skull pan of yours.

Because I disagree with you? Resorting to personal attacks, nice.

Oh buttercup..you'll be ok big guy.

Christ, what an asshole.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

So I have a question concerning this issue of federal jurisdiction versus provincial or municipal government laws, regulations, etc., at an aerodrome. If someone has a hanger on an aerodrome, because the aerodrome is regulated federally does that mean no taxes are paid on the hanger. Or does the fed tax the hangers or the provincial government, and who assesses the value.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 am 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.
That's a really good question. I can only guess at an answer: because taxing a property doesn't attempt to regulate where it's located, how it's built, or what use is made of it, and because the federal government doesn't have any rules about taxing aircraft hangars, it would be hard to argue that a municipal law taxing all properties infringes on the federal jurisdiction to regulate aeronautics. Municipal property taxes therefore apply.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:10 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

It frequently shocks me to no end how often Municipalities are ignorant (willful or not) to the numerous court cases that have strongly established where the jurisdiction line is. In meeting with our municipality they just gave me a totally blank stare and a look of shock when I reminded them that they weren't legally obligated to follow their own building permit by-laws and only chose to do so by policy as the airport landlord. What was more alarming was the look of surprise on the high paid "airport management consultants" face.

It seems to me that Woodlands is aware of bylaw limitations and is attempting to test the jurisdiction of defining where the aerodrome boundaries actually are through zoning rather than zoning airport lands. A tough road given that the lands were previously recognized as "airport", so to try and use municipal level laws to say something is not an "aerodrome" is, in my view, clearly trying to limit a federal jurisdiction.

Yes, overlapping jurisdiction occurs, but it is all up to the courts to define where a lower law impedes too much on a higher jurisdiction. I would have thought we have had enough rulings to make that line pretty clear for municipalities to stop trying to cross that line all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

photofly wrote:
That's a really good question. I can only guess at an answer: because taxing a property doesn't attempt to regulate where it's located, how it's built, or what use is made of it, and because the federal government doesn't have any rules about taxing aircraft hangars, it would be hard to argue that a municipal law taxing all properties infringes on the federal jurisdiction to regulate aeronautics. Municipal property taxes therefore apply.

Agreed. A taxation bylaw does not impede the exclusive jurisdiction. If the taxation bylaw tried to say that property that house aircraft that fly more than "x" times per year are taxed at a higher rate, that would likely be impeding on the jurisdiction by attempting to discourage aircraft movements.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:12 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

The Disgruntled County of Woodlands councillors have spent $177,042.76 of over taxed taxpayer money on their lawyers alone trying to prevent my hangar from existing on my privately owned airside property at the Whitecourt Airport.
(This does not include other taxpayer money wasted on county employee man hours trying to figure out how to deal with the County Councillors decisions in trying to have the hangar originally prevented from being built, and now removed after it was finished)

It's the County of Woodlands election on October 16 2017. Hopefully the airport problems will be "Voted" away by the overtaxed public.

See the "Freedom of Information and protection of privacy" information provided by the County of Woodlands below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:32 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.
According to Google, the population of Woodlands County is only 4,754, so that's $37.20 per head.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Great info, thanks for posting that!

Bureaucrats don't like it when there plan's don't go the way they like and they will gladly spend OPM to sort out and protect there little kingdoms that they have created. We are getting more like Red China every day. Sad really.......

Last edited by Prodriver on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

Prodriver wrote:
Great info, thanks for posting that!

Bureaucrats don't like it when there plan's don't go the way they like and they will gladly spend OPM to sort out and protect there kittle kingdoms that they have created. We are getting more like Red China every day. Sad really.......

Goes exactly to my comment on the other thread.