Thinking about stepping away from the game for a bit

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Thinking about stepping away from the game for a bit

Post by Chaxterium »

Hello,

My wife and I recently had our second child and being away from home is getting more and more difficult. I'm giving some thought to taking a year or two off while they're young. I'm curious how difficult it would be to get back into the industry after an extended time away. Would companies frown upon it? I know I would most likely no longer be IFR current, but I'd have to complete an initial GS anyway which would make me current again. Has anyone gone through this? How did it work out?

I have a decent amount of experience (4000+TT, bunch of jet time, bunch of PIC, etc) so I don't think my experience would hold me back from getting another job. I'm just worried about whether being out of the industry for a year or two would hurt my chances.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Chax
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Thinking about stepping away from the game for a bit

Post by Cat Driver »

Nothing replaces being with your family when they are young.

Airplanes will always be there but you can not turn back time.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Completely depends on the industry. If there is a demand for pilots with your experience, your sabbatical will not matter one bit. If there is a downturn and you are competing against 10 other people with the same experience who have been flying the last two years, you will have to rely on your contacts to get you in.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Are you near one of the integrated CPL programs? With your background you could make a difference teaching IFR (in that you've actually done it) and it would get you home every night.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

With the new duty rest rules coming up, I'm hoping that the hiring will continue for a while hence helping you jump back on the saddle once ready. Also I agree 100% with cat. I am doing my best to be home as much as I can for my kids.
I am sure you have thought of parental leave no ?

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

frog wrote:I am sure you have thought of parental leave no ?
I've given it some thought. Is it the same as paternity leave though? My wife is taking the full year of maternity leave so my understanding is that that means I can't take any paternity leave.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I was off of flying for 10 years with less time than you. I was lucky that I had developed good relationships over the course of my career so they were willing to take a chance on me even though I was definitely rusty.

If you can afford it financially, I would say spend time with the family. It would be good if you could do some part time flying both to keep yourself sharp and continue to build your network connections.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

That is correct. You can split the time but not "double" dip. Depending on your career goals taking time off does affect you career mostly from the point of view of seniority. If airlines are not in your sights then taking time off just "freezes" you and you come back basically with what you had to offer when you left. All your compatriots will have moved on and you will be a 4000 hour pilot looking for a job but if you are just doing it for a max of 24 months the industry should still be on the upswing, not on fire but employment still available.

Having said all that one needs to take a close look at what really is important and not what you perceive as important and possibly with a little self interest. I mean one also needs to look at the big picture and 5, 10 and 15 years down stream etc etc. It's very easy to say "family is first and I want to spend more time at home" but at what cost for the future. Sounds like your wife also has a career so I see the dilemma. The problem with aviation all comes back to seniority and seniority = money and money = ability to provide for your family. Like I hinted it's not an easy decision. I went through it and with a wife who had a much higher earning than myself and house husband was even discussed but at the end of the day we decided it was much better to keep the earning potential very high (both my kids private school and successful) and the personal professional satisfaction as well, we opted for a live in nanny who to this day is like part of the family. Yes I was rotating at the time and found my time off very fulfilling and had much more time to interact with my kids in their younger years. I also opted for a move to YK which did put me at home every night so yes with some sacrifice you can do both but it takes flexibility from all parties. Remember by the time they are 13 their friends are more important than you :mrgreen: and that is where you really need the resources to parent -- $$$$$$ :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I certainly understand your priorities, and family always prevails.

BUT....

Timing is everything in life. Right now, if you do the sacrifice, chances are that in 10 to 20 years, if you stay in the game, you will be at the top of wage earners..........

By timing, I am thinking about a previous generation. The national airline was hiring 19 year olds who over time, became the most senior, highest paid, biggest plane, drivers.

Sure, they did their sacrifices, but they were minimal in comparison to what the industry now requires.

Food for thought, this is what this message is solely about. I think that one who desires to pull the plug on a potentially very, very, lucrative future career (which was crappy in my lifetime), should carefully consider the options.

I've done a few semi skilled and skilled work outside of this world, never trust a man who says trust me, but, it is no better on the other side. Same problems, same lack of pay, same gone from home syndome, and on it goes.......

Think very carefully.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Entrepreneur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Entrepreneur »

Did the same thing 5 years ago...best move I've ever made! PM me if you'd like

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

Can certainly understand the desire to be with your kids and that's worth a lot.

Career wise, if you're in the airlines right now, you are in a time of unprecedented movement and growth.

Career wise to get out right you may well be sacrificing upgrades in equipment, seniority and pay grade.

If you can stick with it a few more years you may have a better income and the seniority to get better scheduling.

Should you come back in a few years. You'll be starting back at the bottom and in the long term will not have the same earning potential and better schedules.

Food for thought.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I'm surprised nobody has suggested that you ask your children to take a couple of years out of growing. They could quite reasonably sacrifice two years of seniority and allow you to make progress in your career, then you can pay it back to them later when they start growing again, and you'll be better placed to spend time with them then.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote:I'm surprised nobody has suggested that you ask your children to take a couple of years out of growing. They could quite reasonably sacrifice two years of seniority and allow you to make progress in your career, then you can pay it back to them later when they start growing again, and you'll be better placed to spend time with them then.
That's an interesting (sarcastic) comment in response to what seems like a sincere question and some thoughtful balanced answers.

Are you implying you're somehow better than those attempting to make tough choices, wisely?

This was a good, positive thread. Oh well...... :roll:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I'm saying nobody goes to their grave wishing they'd spent less time watching their children grow up.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Thanks for the responses folks. Much appreciated. Lots to think about for sure.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

If you can afford it, take the time off and spend those precious years with your wife and kids.

Posters worrying about a couple years of seniority over the course of a 30+ year career obviously don't have families of their own.

With your time, you won't have any issues picking up where you left off.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Not sure where you live but have you looked at other local companies, there are operators out there where you can be home every night.

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

As Lurch said, take a look at some local 703/4 operators. Most seem to be hiring at the moment, and it would allow you to keep your head in the game.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

On the plus side, the IPC is a walk in the part compared to the old days where you'd have to write the INRAT and do a flight test on an actual airplane. Now, a quick one two in a redbird and then IFR is G2G.

sent you a pm as well

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Thanks again folks. I'm currently at a 604 company and I have a really good schedule with a lot of time off but unfortunately when I do have to work I'm often gone for 7-10 days at a time and it's hard being away from my girls for that long. I'm looking for something Monday-Friday which is not too common in our industry.

Return to “General Comments”