ADB question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

omgwereallgoingtodie
Rank 3
Rank 3

ADB question

Post by omgwereallgoingtodie »

I just renewed my medical (first ever renewal)
all went well CAME happily signed off in my booklet
about a week later an envelope from Transport Canada arrived
inside a shiny new ADB.
I thought this was a bit weird, as far as I was aware , you don't even get a new medical sticker on renewal anymore. Let alone a new booklet
on closer inspection, the new ADB has an extended expiry date ( 10 years from the date of the issue of the inital one)
What it DOESN'T have is any evidence of my new medical in it

so I have an ADB that expires in 2024 but looks like my last medical was in 2012 :cry:

what do i do? do i need to contact them to get a new sticker, can i carry on using my old ADB until 2019 ?
is this clusterfudge normal ?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ADB question

Post by Rockie »

It's completely normal. You have two choices, you can call TC and have them send you a new sticker, or you can carry around your old booklet as proof of medical until you your next visit and the CAME signs the new one. Either one is fine. The other option I suppose is to go back to your doctor and have him/her sign the new booklet. But be careful with that, if the date of the medical he signs off is before the valid date of the new booklet I don't think it would count.

Easiest just to carry the old one as well until the next medical.

omgwereallgoingtodie
Rank 3
Rank 3

thanks, think I'll avoid the call TC option :)
and just carry the two of them

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I received a new ADB with an expiry date of 2025, in spite of the fact that the one I already had, (and still have) has an expiry date of 2020. When I inquired why, the nice TC lady on the phone explained that the contract to print the booklets is paid whether they print them or not, so they just get them to print with later expiry dates and send them out. I guess in their minds that's less wasteful than just not contracting for something they don't need.

Did I mention I haven't lived or worked in Canada for over ten years?!

Your ever-efficient gubmint at work. I had to laugh.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Had you been thinking proactively you could have surrendered your Canadian license and saved them the trouble of unnecessarily printing you a new one.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Even MY expectations don't reach low enough to have predicted the wasteful stupidity of reissuing documents with years of validity on them. :mrgreen:

As far as "surrendering" it, why would I do that? Does any professional surrender the degree he earned in one country when he goes to practice in another?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Rockie wrote:It's completely normal. You have two choices, you can call TC and have them send you a new sticker, or you can carry around your old booklet as proof of medical until you your next visit and the CAME signs the new one. Either one is fine. The other option I suppose is to go back to your doctor and have him/her sign the new booklet. But be careful with that, if the date of the medical he signs off is before the valid date of the new booklet I don't think it would count.

Easiest just to carry the old one as well until the next medical.
Yup, carry both. many people have scenarios like that: getting a new rating or license on their old booklet, but the new booklet was already printed and shipped. Probably just worth remembering to ask TC for a sticker before the old one expires, but you will likely do anther medical renewal prior to that expiry, and then get the CAME to stamp/sign the new booklet.

omgwereallgoingtodie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks for the input.
I'm mildly curious as to what triggered the printing of a new ADB.
I'd assumed the new medical as that is the only thing that has changed but if that was the case surely the new one would appear in the new ADB.
My old ADB has 2 years left on it

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

As far as "surrendering" it, why would I do that? Does any professional surrender the degree he earned in one country when he goes to practice in another?
Complex, when you asked that question do you think Rockie will be able to understand such a difficult issue as that?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Cat Driver wrote:
Complex, when you asked that question do you think Rockie will be able to understand such a difficult issue as that?
Merely a suggestion to help with the inefficiency he's concerned about. Not that difficult to understand....

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The ADB is an abortion that should be done away with and replaced by something one can carry around and also looks like a real license like we get in the USA.

It would be a win, win, pilots would have a license that is twenty first century and T.C. would have a make work project that they could take years to figure out...with a little outside help of course. :mrgreen:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Cat Driver wrote:The ADB is an abortion that should be done away with and replaced by something one can carry around and also looks like a real license like we get in the USA.

It would be a win, win, pilots would have a license that is twenty first century and T.C. would have a make work project that they could take years to figure out...with a little outside help of course. :mrgreen:
I find the license very easy to carry in my flight bag at work along with my passport and other documents I need. How big and heavy is yours and where else would you need to carry it? Also what does a "real" license look like? Mine seems to do the trick even though according to you it doesn't look real.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Also what does a "real" license look like?
The FAA issues licenses that look real, and they fit in your wallet.

Why don't the credit card companies design their credit documents like that abortion TC gives you?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Maybe because they're credit cards and not a license. For someone who's supposedly seen the world Cat you seem awfully unaware of what other country's licenses look like if you think the FAA one is what they're supposed to look like.

Question, why would you carry it in your wallet?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

What does "look real" mean? Does it look like a drivers license?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Question, why would you carry it in your wallet?
That is an easy question to answer.

Because it fits in my wallet exactly like my drivers license does.

Why would I put it somewhere else when it was designed to fit in a wallet, just like a drivers license and credit cards.etc.

As to the Canadian abortion I have never needed it and it sits in my junk drawer in the house.

Where it fits quite nicely.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What does "look real" mean? Does it look like a drivers license?
Hi, before I was sent that abortion my Canadian Airline Transport Pilot License had a green stripe diagonally from the right top to the left bottom and it folded in two so it fit in my wallet.

All the ratings were printed on it and my radio license was printed on the back.

Plus my Canadian helicopter License was printed on it.

You remember them don't you?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

deleted.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well, I keep mine right next to my passport which also doesn't fit in my wallet. That along with my radio license (different government department), dangerous goods certification and other odds and ends I require to do my job would make for a pretty crowded wallet so the size of the booklet isn't really a problem. Also on the plus side the government doesn't need to send me a new LVC (remember those Cat, it had to be on you too) every year. The Doc just signs my ADB.

Really, of all the things to hate this is pretty small potatoes don't you think?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

I said I was amused by the inefficiency, not concerned, Rockie. No need to misrepresent me. I couldn't care less really, hey, it helps explain the $55 charge I guess. :mrgreen:

I've gotten used to carrying around a bundle of documents over the years, expired passports with valid visas and licenses based on other licenses - the size of the ADB is a non-issue to me. But I have to agree with Cat, since TC was hell-bent on a make-work project, solving problems that don't exist, as bureaucrats do...they could have at least followed the driver's licence format, not the passport one. No doubt a committee was struck to examine the issue in detail for years of deliberation lol. Modern licenses have all the same biometric security features. Hell my Alien Resident Certificate, which grants the right to enter and live in a country (arguably a more important privilege than flying an airplane?) is the credit card size and enables eGate entry with retinal and fingerprint scan. But not good enough for Transport Canada, I guess. Those silly Americans, what do they know, right?

The ADB is over the top. Who cares. It's par for the course. Any excuse to spend other people's money will do.

Return to “General Comments”