Hitching a ride?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

frEEk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hitching a ride?

Post by frEEk »

Is hitching on aircraft a thing? I've heard of pilots sharing costs on flights when building hours. Is this purely a matter of "I have a friend" or is there a place to go where these things are organized?
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Hitching a ride?

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Its not a thing.
Flying is expensive. The odds of finding a stranger who is flying the same route you require and has room for you is pretty rare. It is also illegal for said pilot to accept payment beyond direct costs. You'll occasionally see students offering cheap flights to other people as a way to help finance their training, but this isn't legal and gets shut down pretty fast.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

It would make for an interesting app, though TC and the FAA would probably have things to say about it.

There are organizations who look for empty legs on bizjets and the like in order to move around sick (but not presently critical) kids and their families, but it doesn't seem like that's your situation.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Cost sharing is ok, so long as it is just that - cost sharing. In the US, I think they actually define what amount you can accept, in Canada, it's more vague and they just say that people can contribute to costs. After I had my commercial, if my friends wanted to go for a flight, I would kick in just enough to say I paid some. I had a friend ask one time, "How come you only paid $5 and the rest of us paid $30?" (or whatever it was). My answer? "Because I paid $40,000 to get to this point in my flying..." "Ohhhhhh....." I don't think TC cares about stuff like that, unless you start charging more that the cost and/or advertising.

Two pilot friends (even newly introduced) going on a cross country together and splitting the logged time and costs is a great way to get your cross country time and get a little further afield (as well as having a second opinion/help if you're going into busy airports). Just always be clear as to whose leg it is and respect that person as the PIC when decisions are being made.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

C-GKNT wrote:I took Amber from KGPI to KCOE and then into KBFI
Ass, gas, or grass?

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

lownslow wrote:
C-GKNT wrote:I took Amber from KGPI to KCOE and then into KBFI
Ass, gas, or grass?
:lol:
None of the above. Didn't cost me anything, I was going to those places anyway and had an extra seat.

It was a neat project that promoted general aviation that I thought should supported.

Glenn

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

lownslow wrote:It would make for an interesting app, though TC and the FAA would probably have things to say about it.
There are apps that have been developed. And they've been shut down. http://reason.com/archives/2017/06/27/h ... for-planes

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

There are facebook groups and other club sites that will have a section to post "Hey, Im going to xxx fly-in(?) next weekend from yyy. I have x empty seats if someone wants to come"

I would likely engage in this and welcome a passenger along that wants to go to the same place as me. Problem is, I usually only know where and when I'm going about 1/2 hr before I leave.

Going the other way (someone requesting a ride) would be getting close to a grey area.

Return to “General Comments”