AVCANADA

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:56 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:44 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Did someone still operating this beauty here?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

Thunder Airlines does.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Skynorth operate two. They're based out of CYWG.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:53 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is a type rating required?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

In Canada, Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Great machine despite the bad rep they seem to get. Fly the numbers, stay current, and treat it with respect, it'll get you places quick and safe. Fast, loud, and low riding... It really is the sports car of turboprops.. Glad I'm one of the few to have the type rating on my license. Definitely a piece of my career I know I'll miss once the time to move on comes. If you get to fly one just remember these three letters...NTS! If it don't get tested, get out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:35 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

There was even an ad looking for pilots, just last week...

Thunder Airlines - Seeking FOs for our MU-2 fleet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:32 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Type rating is required as it falls into the "High performance" category. It IS a great aircraft to fly. My favorite but I am probably biased.

I am up doing some flying this summer to help out (and visit the Grandkids) but heading back to the boat in a few weeks.

Yes, pilots are needed. (especially those with some MPIC)

Bob M.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

I'll put in a plug for Thunder. I haven't been there for 15 years, but probably one of the best 703 outfits out there. Good maintenance, schedule. Pay is apparently very good now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

bobm wrote:
Yes, pilots are needed. (especially those with some MPIC)

Bede wrote:
Pay is apparently very good now.

Can confirm both. We strive to be the best 703 to build experience with for those who are interested in committing for at least a couple years, as well as being a good shop to retire from for those who are looking for stable work that gets them home to our YQT, YTS and YSB bases almost every night. Resumes are always being accepted at hr@thunderair.com and seasonal/rotational positions are available commensurate with experience.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

I know you use to post your pay scales Bob. Will you do it for us if it has changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sorry, but since I retired I only sit in the pilot seat when I am in town. Kinda nice to just fly though....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I'll agree that Thunder is probably about the best 703 out there. Good pay, good equipment, and good people. Flying environment is actually pretty good and the stress level is low. It's a 703, so some things are impossible to have, like knowing your flights a week prior, but working within the on-demand charter constraints they do a good job of attempting to maintain normality and they respect their pilots as long as their pilots respect them.
Rotational schedules, benefits, etc. several bases, all cities. (Technically...
:) ) Many people rotate in from Toronto and Ottawa on passes with Porter and Jazz.

It's as good as you can get, many people have made it a lifetime gig so that tells you something.

Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

[quote=It's as good as you can get, many people have made it a lifetime gig so that tells you something.[/quote]

Actually, Thunder lost 2 Captains to Encore this spring. One was direct hired to Captain and the other was being fast tracked. Both decided to return to Thunder.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

bobm wrote:
Actually, Thunder lost 2 Captains to Encore this spring. One was direct hired to Captain and the other was being fast tracked. Both decided to return to Thunder.

No kidding. If I had to do things over again I wouldn't leave THU for a regional. AC or WJ maybe, but not Encore. Having said that, I left THU when the pay was half of what it is now. WJ is a good gig, but there's nothing like being in your own bed at night.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

leftoftrack wrote:
I know you use to post your pay scales Bob. Will you do it for us if it has changed.

As per today's memo, the following wages take effect 1 Oct 17.

Tier One First Officers (<1500 TT, <500 MPIC, and no ATPL) will receive a base rate of $35,000.00 per annum, plus a mileage rate that varies with years of service:
Year # 1 $0.02 per mile
Year # 2 $0.04 per mile
Year # 3 $0.06 per mile

Tier Two First Officers (1500 TT, 500 MPIC and ATPLs written, or 500 on type with ATPLs written) will receive a base rate of $40,000.00 per annum, plus a mileage rate that varies with years of service:
Year # 1 $0.02 per mile
Year # 2 $0.04 per mile
Year # 3 $0.06 per mile

Junior Captains will receive a base rate and mileage rate that varies with years of service as Captain:
Year # 1 $55,000.00 per annum base, plus $0.10 per mile
Year # 2 $55,825.00 per annum base, plus $0.11 per mile
Year # 3 $56,662.38 per annum base, plus $0.12 per mile

Senior Captains will receive a straight salary that varies with years of service as Captain:
Year # 4 $75,000.00
Year # 5 $76,125.00
Year # 6 $77,266.88
Year # 7 $78,425.88
Year # 8 $79,602.27
Year # 9 $80,796.30
Year # 10 $82,008.24

Additions:
The following additions are added to the base salary, and paid out as part of the regular biweekly pay:
Air Ambulance pilots: all pilots employed as part of the air ambulance operation receive the following addition to their base rate:
First Officers $2,500.00 per annum
Captains $5,000.00 per annum

MNR Captains: all captains approved to operate as captain on MNR/Ornge flights receive the following addition to their base rate:
Captains $5,000.00 per annum (note that this is in addition to the Air Ambulance premium above, if applicable)

Retention Bonus:
Subject to certain conditions, a Captain “retention bonus” is paid in addition to the normal salary. 24 months after being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $10,000.00, and on each subsequent anniversary date of being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $5,000.00. The conditions are as follows:
This bonus is only paid out on the anniversary date of being continuously employed as a full-time Captain.
This bonus is only paid out to Captains in good standing with a positive annual review.
This bonus is NOT amortized. If you leave the company prior to your anniversary date, NO money is payable! It is a RETENTION bonus!
Note that the retention bonus is paid out as a “bonus”, and is taxed accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

What can one expect for average miles?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

goingnowherefast wrote:
What can one expect for average miles?

It varies between bases and types. Most likely somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I've been working at Thunder for a few years now. I've been happy here overall though my experience might be a little different since I'm on the King Air and not the MU-2.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

amclean wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:

As per today's memo, the following wages take effect 1 Oct 17.
Retention Bonus:
Subject to certain conditions, a Captain “retention bonus” is paid in addition to the normal salary. 24 months after being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $10,000.00, and on each subsequent anniversary date of being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $5,000.00. The conditions are as follows:
This bonus is only paid out on the anniversary date of being continuously employed as a full-time Captain.
This bonus is only paid out to Captains in good standing with a positive annual review.
This bonus is NOT amortized. If you leave the company prior to your anniversary date, NO money is payable! It is a RETENTION bonus!
Note that the retention bonus is paid out as a “bonus”, and is taxed accordingly.

I always liked the idea of a retention bonus over a training bond. It should in affect accomplish the same thing but with reverse logic. A bond takes the attitude of "the beatings will continue until the morale improves" whereas retention bonuses provide a little motivation to stay a little longer.

Kudos to this company for taking the high road here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 am 
Rank 10
Rank 10

Been years since I worked at Thunder and will also say they are a top notch op. I loved my time there as I was treated amazingly well by Bob M and the rest of the crew.

Be02 driver, from my understanding there is both the bond to start, and the bonus at the end. Very well paying position.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:34 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

flyinhigh wrote:
Been years since I worked at Thunder and will also say they are a top notch op. I loved my time there as I was treated amazingly well by Bob M and the rest of the crew.

Be02 driver, from my understanding there is both the bond to start, and the bonus at the end. Very well paying position.

I too was treated very well by BobM, so much so that he gave me one of his jobs when he retired! We are grateful to have him and Laurie return to share their knowledge, even if it is only for a short while!

Yes you are correct, flyinhigh. There is a bond (1-year promissory note), as part of our multi-faceted effort to retain experienced pilots. Despite having monetary penalties for leaving, and significant bonuses for staying, it is hard for some pilots to resist that shiney jet syndrome (or as has become more common in recent years, shiney Q400 syndrome), sometimes only a couple of months after starting! If anyone has a better method, I am all ears; I sincerely doubt we are alone in this situation.