Pathetic Pearson Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Pathetic Pearson Airport

Post by pelmet »

One of the most expensive airports in the world apparently.

Has anybody noticed how often the moving sidewalks don't work. I have observed this for quite a while. Not a big deal for me but for someone with walking difficulties, a real problem.

So I arrive the other day at a distant gate for the walk to customs. Not only is that super high speed and very long moving walkway not operating but all three of the shorter ones parallel to it are not moving either. On the way to the car rental, one of two walkways is not operating. 5 of 6 moving walkways I encountered are not operating.

What a joke.
---------- ADS -----------

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pathetic Pearson Airport

Post by Alcoholism »

pelmet wrote:One of the most expensive airports in the world apparently.

...Not a big deal for me...
What a joke.
Apparently it is a big deal for you. And of all things that's wrong with the GTAA, this would be at the bottom of the list that should be of yours or anyones concern.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

What Pelmet may be trying to say is this: We are getting tired of taxpayers money and money put into aviation infrastructure being used for other purposes or being wasted or outright criminal misuses! The NDP and greens were adamantly against pay-to-play dinners and golf tournaments and vowed to enact legislation to stop the corruption,,,, what are they doing with the $550.00/plate dinner now and the golf tournament? They are all crooks and liars !!!!!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Alcoholism wrote:
pelmet wrote:One of the most expensive airports in the world apparently.

...Not a big deal for me...
What a joke.
Apparently it is a big deal for you. And of all things that's wrong with the GTAA, this would be at the bottom of the list that should be of yours or anyones concern.
As I stated, it is no big deal for me. I usually walk instead of taking the moving sidewalk wherever I go as I need what little exercise it gives. But, I just read an article in the U.S. about how savvy US fliers are taking AC instead of American carriers. When I see stuff like this, I wonder of AC is on the airports ass complaining about this sort of thing.

You obviously are unable to comprehend how difficult it is for some people to walk long distances. Right now, it is near the bottom of the list for me. But it is likely near the top of the list for many people and can quickly become the top of the list for any one of us when an injury changes things. I would hope that most people realize this.

Bottom line, I like the idea of Canadian aviation doing well with AC's strategy of using their hubs to transport American pax. Repeated issues like this convince some pax to avoid which is poor business practice. Stuff like the moving walkway issue annoys me on behalf of those pax needing them and those persons being employed in the industry because of this strategy.

I guess I just care. You should too.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

crazyaviator wrote:What Pelmet may be trying to say is this: We are getting tired of taxpayers money and money put into aviation infrastructure being used for other purposes or being wasted or outright criminal misuses! The NDP and greens were adamantly against pay-to-play dinners and golf tournaments and vowed to enact legislation to stop the corruption,,,, what are they doing with the $550.00/plate dinner now and the golf tournament? They are all crooks and liars !!!!!
The greens and NDP have never been in power at the federal level, and therefore have never had the ability to enact any legislation of any kind - politics 101. Maybe you're raging at the wrong target?

Regarding that (cough, cough) high speed moving sidewalk going toward Customs, it has hardly ever functioned in the ten years the terminal has been there. They'd be better off tearing it out and putting down carpet, it's as fast a walk as that piece of junk and way more comfortable on the feet.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Please no more carpeted long walks.. The roller bags make the walk on carpet twice as much work.

For long walks Frankfurt has to be the worst but all the NA and Europen airports pale compared to a modern asian airport.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

cgzro wrote:Please no more carpeted long walks.. The roller bags make the walk on carpet twice as much work.

For long walks Frankfurt has to be the worst but all the NA and Europen airports pale compared to a modern asian airport.
But the bus ride from the remote parking gate to the terminal can be very enjoyable as you scoot by all those widebody jets. Wasn't impressed with the hour long customs wait at FRA the other day though. 30 second wait(literally) for the EU passport holders with their automated passport control.

Back to YYZ.....why don't they at least fix the slow speed walkways. Imagine the walk for an elderly pax or someone with a sprained ankle.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

LHR is the worst. If you want to get from terminal 2 to terminal 5 (for example) it's something ridiculous like a 15 min walk, followed by a bus journey, followed by another 15 min walk.

YVR can also be a bit ridiculous if you're transferring from international to domestic. My wife pointed out that after walking for 15 mins and going through the security circus again, we were right next to where we started. Then it's another 15 mins walk to get to the gate.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Do we even need to mention the absolute abortion that is the new terminal at YYC? Aside from
Walkways being constantly broken, the "swing gates" often aren't configured properly, leaving people trapped in the hamster maze of corridors, long walks through bland sterile hallways that make an asylum look like a fun place to be. Serious lack of windows or interior lighting. The stupid "dink link" shuttle sharing space with pedestrians who I see almost get hit on a weekly basis (nevermind that it only runs through half the airport.) absolutely zero seating at many departure bridges as many people don't understand the "call to gate" concept. But even if you do stay in the shopping and dining areas, you're limited to about 3 flavours of extremely overpriced restaurants with garbage service.

What drives me nuts, is because of their stupid "tubs and trays" arrangement in the bag room, you'll often have inbound baggage delayed over an hour while they wait for more trays to be emptied. Do any passengers blame the farce that is the YYC airport authority for that? Of course not. It's now Air Canada's fault that the bags are late in their eyes.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Puhhhhhhlease.

The car that picked us up at our plane yesterday had the air conditioning cranked, so I politely asked the driver to open his window and turn down the ac. He felt really bad about it, but I told him not to worry about it.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Please have you guys been into YUL these days. They are using PTVs!

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

CpnCrunch wrote:LHR is the worst. If you want to get from terminal 2 to terminal 5 (for example) it's something ridiculous like a 15 min walk, followed by a bus journey, followed by another 15 min walk.
But there are three long moving walkways on that long T2 walk and they have always worked when I have been there. YYZ is a joke in comparison.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

jpilot77 wrote:Please have you guys been into YUL these days. They are using PTVs!
I don't know what is happening but we are often over capacity these days. Storms didn't help and gate availability in the evenings has been really restricted.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I don't know what is happening but we are often over capacity these days. Storms didn't help and gate availability in the evenings has been really restricted.
There's not much room left in YUL, I've heard rumors that they will be building a new terminal where the old Canada post hangers used to be.
I think we are seeing the consequences of shutting down Mirabel and shifting everything to Dorval. In the long run the opposite should have happened.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

jpilot77 wrote:
There's not much room left in YUL, I've heard rumors that they will be building a new terminal where the old Canada post hangers used to be.
I think we are seeing the consequences of shutting down Mirabel and shifting everything to Dorval. In the long run the opposite should have happened.
I know about the gate issues. I am ATC in YUL just don't know where all this traffic came from. I guess airlines are expanding into YUL since we rarely have delays like YYZ does. They are building new park areas near the de-ice and RWY 10-28 to park aircaft. I haven't heard of a new terminal but it would make sense. As an ATC'er YMX would of been a way better operation. Not like we had a choice in the matter.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

What would have made YMX a better option? Not disagreeing, just curious what makes it better from a controller point of view?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:What would have made YMX a better option? Not disagreeing, just curious what makes it better from a controller point of view?
YMX has a lot of area to expand with a runway layout like YEG. The terminal "was" in between the 2 runways like YEG but at YUL it's stuck at the end of the airport. YUL is landlocked by roads on all sides and has no room to expand. The terminal keeps getting redone but is still a dump in my opinion. Narrow hallways. Constantly broken escalators, smelly washrooms etc. Ironic that Turdo Sr. wanted to make YMX the main airport but once he croaked they named the airport he wanted phased out after him. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

crazyaviator wrote:What Pelmet may be trying to say is this: We are getting tired of taxpayers money and money put into aviation infrastructure being used for other purposes or being wasted or outright criminal misuses! The NDP and greens were adamantly against pay-to-play dinners and golf tournaments and vowed to enact legislation to stop the corruption,,,, what are they doing with the $550.00/plate dinner now and the golf tournament? They are all crooks and liars !!!!!
This thread is about PEARSON airport - which, last time I checked, is in Ontario. NDP &Green fundraisers are happening in BC - two different parts of the country.

Lay off the bong, man!

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Worst part about Pearson is the escalators not working very often... how come I almost never see an escalator at a mall broken but always a few at the airport. PS the T1 guys should spend some time in T3 they will feel blessed lol

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

T3, nuff said!!!

You feel bad for people having to walk. Come to T3 at YYZ and all will be good in the world again.

Return to “General Comments”