Pathetic Pearson Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pathetic Pearson Airport

Post by Jimmy2 »

Well there we go. We're better than Africa.
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

LOL

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

But after complaining about YUL, by far the worst that operate into regularly is good ole LGA!

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Rockie wrote:
crazyaviator wrote:What Pelmet may be trying to say is this: We are getting tired of taxpayers money and money put into aviation infrastructure being used for other purposes or being wasted or outright criminal misuses! The NDP and greens were adamantly against pay-to-play dinners and golf tournaments and vowed to enact legislation to stop the corruption,,,, what are they doing with the $550.00/plate dinner now and the golf tournament? They are all crooks and liars !!!!!
The greens and NDP have never been in power at the federal level, and therefore have never had the ability to enact any legislation of any kind - politics 101. Maybe you're raging at the wrong target?

Regarding that (cough, cough) high speed moving sidewalk going toward Customs, it has hardly ever functioned in the ten years the terminal has been there. They'd be better off tearing it out and putting down carpet, it's as fast a walk as that piece of junk and way more comfortable on the feet.
You need to go back to politics 101. Under minority government the NDP has had massive amounts of influence, like when budgets are passed and the conservatives needed their votes to avoid non-confidence.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Politics 101

Influence isn't the same as power. It isn't even the same as a coalition government. While it is mandatory for the right wing to blame the left for everything, blaming the Greens and NDP for Pearson is laughable.

Last edited by Rockie on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Broker »

The high speed walkway in YYZ is very high maintenance. Normally, they shut them all down late evening for maintenance. Not the best idea but that is what happens. If pax can't walk, they can always request assistance in the form of wheelchairs and/or golf cart. If you arrive late, expect to walk.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

jpilot77 wrote:But after complaining about YUL, by far the worst that operate into regularly is good ole LGA!

LGA will be whole different story in a few years. Was there the other day and things are changing rapidly. From an airport terminal point of view that is.
Broker wrote:The high speed walkway in YYZ is very high maintenance. Normally, they shut them all down late evening for maintenance. Not the best idea but that is what happens. If pax can't walk, they can always request assistance in the form of wheelchairs and/or golf cart. If you arrive late, expect to walk.
Imagine the idea of not shutting down the high spr unbelievably all three) of the slower parallel ones were not working.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

I saw one of the reasons the escalators are often not working. People take too many bags get stuck at the bottom or top and hit the emergency stop button.

Then no one resets it.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

There are many short falls with YYZ.

It starts with staffing with Nav Canada. When they are using all three runways the operation actually runs pretty well. Unfortunately management at Nav Canada need to get some more bums in seats. Perhaps offer transfer bonuses from elsewhere in the country to move to YYZ not sure how their contract works but they obviously need to entice more people to stay in YYZ.

Once you land and get to the gate, many times our own ground staff seem to not be ready for us, perhaps staffing or just not caring much. If they are present, many times the sterile zone has something inside it. Once the gate is attached we have to wait for an agent because they got lost. It's been said before that if pilots did their job as poorly as other employee groups there would be airplane wrecks scattered around the country.

The terminal is built for significantly less people than is handled today, the claustrophobic costume hall is overwhelmed during any rush and is very stuffy due to the low ceiling, YVR and YUL are actually quite pleasant.

If departing it's standing room only as it seems each gate is designed for an Embraer or CRJ on the domestic and transboareder gates, and for a 319 or 737 on the international size. Without any forward looking design they are simply overwhelmed by 280 seat 767s doing transboarder flying or 450 seat 777s doing domestic flying.

I can't remember the last time I have seen a moving sidewalk or escalator out of service at a mall, without anyone actively working on it. YYZ's escalators have already been covered here.

As a pilot not sure what one could do. The only reason it bugs me is that we pay top dollar for this sh!t hole we are trying to turn into a global hub.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

It comes down to an attitude of providing excellent service vs mediocrity and laziness, and that always comes from the top.

Easy tell on a public facility is if washrooms are cleaned. I just returned from Europe. Multiple airports, train stations. All clean. Return to Pearson, disgusting. As usual. Don't expect better cause no one cares.

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

I've seen my fair share of third world airports that offer third world service.
YYZ still pisses me off every time, I think largely because the airport improvement taxes I alone have paid this year from commuting could probably fund a whole new escalator.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Taxes are NOT to fund specific projects or infrastructure,,, you are led to believe that, they go into a pot to be dispersed to whomever they wish,,,,, democracy at its best NOT !!!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Here I agree with you. There is not a "gas tax account" for road repair and construction. There is only the "general revenue account". I agree with user fees if they are allocated properly which they often are not.

However airports are run by non-profits (HAHAHA) who only pay rent to the government. They aren't taxes per se.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Ah. All these problems will go away when they privatize all the airports. Just like Little t and his crew of feel good cronies are proposing.

Tongue in cheek. Yes but does anyone think that this situation will get better?

Jim la Jungle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jim la Jungle »

Pelmet,
I've had this beef for a while towards Pearson, especially T3. One day at Viscount, GTAA employees had a stand to promote safety in the escalators. I had a laugh at first, then I took it upon myself to have a chat with them. I said it's nice to promote safety and all but it would be actually better if the equipment worked, then it would be less dangerous to take them. I stressed the fact that half of the escalators and magic carpets don't work most of the time in T3. The only thing she could answer was: "oh I don't know, I work at T1". I walked away before getting myself into trouble.

:roll: :rolleyes: :roll:

Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:Do we even need to mention the absolute abortion that is the new terminal at YYC? Aside from
Walkways being constantly broken, the "swing gates" often aren't configured properly, leaving people trapped in the hamster maze of corridors, long walks through bland sterile hallways that make an asylum look like a fun place to be. Serious lack of windows or interior lighting.

The stupid "dink link" shuttle sharing space with pedestrians who I see almost get hit on a weekly basis (nevermind that it only runs through half the airport.)
Just got to YYC airport the other day for the first time in quite a while. I was quite impressed by the 'Dink Link'. Seems like a really good, relatively low cost idea. Although, I am not sure how efficient it is at busy times. I enjoyed my rides to both ends of the system.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

pelmet wrote:
PostmasterGeneral wrote:Do we even need to mention the absolute abortion that is the new terminal at YYC? Aside from
Walkways being constantly broken, the "swing gates" often aren't configured properly, leaving people trapped in the hamster maze of corridors, long walks through bland sterile hallways that make an asylum look like a fun place to be. Serious lack of windows or interior lighting.

The stupid "dink link" shuttle sharing space with pedestrians who I see almost get hit on a weekly basis (nevermind that it only runs through half the airport.)
Just got to YYC airport the other day for the first time in quite a while. I was quite impressed by the 'Dink Link'. Seems like a really good, relatively low cost idea. Although, I am not sure how efficient it is at busy times. I enjoyed my rides to both ends of the system.

Did you also know each dink link tram cart cost over $200,000 to design and build?? There was a Herald article on the debacle a couple years ago when the contract was awarded.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:
pelmet wrote:

Did you also know each dink link tram cart cost over $200,000 to design and build?? There was a Herald article on the debacle a couple years ago when the contract was awarded.
Nope. Had never heard of it until this thread. Things are not always as they seem.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

nvm the labour cost of the drivers every day forever

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

My ultimate piss off came on Monday when someone forgot to tell Nav Canada that airlines don't shut down on holidays. I mean come on, single takeoff and land runways!!!! When we lined up for 23 we had 11 behind us and building. Then add on the storm system that came through and boom Ground Stop.

I give props to the controllers that were working because they were slammed all day and did there best, but when you have cancelled flight after cancellled flight after one storm line passes, all because of staffing. Nav Canada should be embarrassed and the GTAA pissed that this world class hub is a joke.

Return to “General Comments”