Jazz Hatters

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Jazz Hatters

Post by TheStig »

Black_Tusk wrote:Until they give me a new one with new velvet, it's staying in my hand. I got a nasty rash last week when it was 30* outside and since then it's no longer being worn. The company and unisync are aware of the issue, and until ALPA presses them to fix the problem it will likely keep dragging on. Just like the pants.
From your own account here you joined Jazz fairly recently, maybe you can recall when you joined who told you to decide which parts of the uniform dress code you want to abide by? Did you tell your ALPA rep that you will not wear your uniform? Did they tell you that's okay?

By not properly wearing your uniform you're disrespecting the nearly 5000 others who do, and those who for 80 years have. To the others who have posted on this thread, sure, a more presentably dressed pilot isn't a 'better' pilot than the next guy to you, but to the public image matters. That 15 seconds you spend walking past all the passengers waiting to board your airplane is all they get to see of you, and then they put theirs in your hands, you can't tell me that the image you present isn't important.

The Air Canada brand pilot uniform, in my opinion, is one of the best in the industry. Meatservo, do you really think it's meant to bring pilots down a peg? If anything it elevates the pilots above every other employee, not to mention serve notice to everyone on board the aircraft who is in command. I did enjoy reading your post though FWIW.

A pilot with a beard still looks different to me because, it's still relatively new and still looks strange. However, I've seen some pilots with beard who look sharp, but others who look terrible. It's just like properly wearing the uniform, a big part of our brand as airline pilots is the image we present to the public while in the terminal.
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Howdy Stig,

No as it happens I quite agree with you about the hat, I was commenting more on why some guys might not like to wear it than whether they should or not. Wearing hats and dressing formally for work in general is getting to be quite old-fashioned whatever industry you're in, and some people find the hat kind of pretentious simply because everyone else has dropped it. All things being equal, I kind of like hats and wish they would come back into fashion. I do not include baseball hats of course. They are too casual. But hey, nowadays you see military officers going to their office jobs in CADPAT "improved combat" uniforms instead of the tunic-and-pants suit they used to wear. Just great for waging office warfare I guess. They probably think it looks cool, and is undoubtedly more comfortable than a regular pants and shirt, but really, nobody gives a shit what they look like anymore. If you do, you're seen as taking yourself too seriously, which is not cool these days.

The beards, now. I used to think they were OK, until the latest generation of guys who were raised watching stupid American garbage like "duck dynasty" and "moonshiners" thought this was a good look for them. KLM pilots have always had short, trimmed beards (and hats) and have always looked dignified and well-groomed. There is absolutely no way, however, to look dignified and well-groomed sporting one of those pendulous pubic mats that grows down to your chest like a string mop, matted with some kind of stinky oil. And I'm sure if airlines who care what their pilots look like are to give some of them an inch in this regard, they will show up looking like some stinky character stumbled out of a cartoon about lumberjacks, fell into a pilot's uniform and accidentally made their way to the airport. It's the facial equivalent of a mullet. I mean hey, you gotta fight for the right to look how you want. I'm going to get my hair cut, but I want to wear no shirt and a pair of old coveralls held up by one strap. Then people will think I look weird because I DON'T have a beard.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

It's just a f'ing hat ffs. One would think and hope there are bigger issues in our profession that squabbling over a forsaken hat. Talk about princesses. If someone doesn't wear it, am I disrespected? Absolutely Not! What matters is the ability to fly a damn airplane, after all we are pilots, not damn models showing off the latest cheap chinese uniform. But go ahead, worry about hats rather than real issues of WACONs.

And FWIW, I wear the hat.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Comparing wearing your hat to "being unsafe" or "Not following SOPs" is ridiculous and idiotic. I've heard it in Ground School as well. I wonder if that was you who said it. How many pilots at Jazz break some sort of SOP on a daily basis? I bet you do too! When was the last time you taxied out of YYZ and made some idiotic comment that has nothing to do with the current task?

Anyway, I love the pilot uniform and I actually like wearing my hat (though, it's not comfortable). I don't care if a pilot doesn't wear his hat.

Best answer yet (I heard it in the Lounge at YYZ between two Jazz pilots):
- Where's your hat?
- At home.
- You gotta wear your hat... It's part of being professional
- When they start paying me "professionally", I'll start wearing my "professional hat"

***Edit for spelling***

Last edited by HansDietrich on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Das ist mir wurst...
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:lol:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

TheStig wrote:
From your own account here you joined Jazz fairly recently, maybe you can recall when you joined who told you to decide which parts of the uniform dress code you want to abide by? Did you tell your ALPA rep that you will not wear your uniform? Did they tell you that's okay?
As a matter of fact I have spoken to ALPA about it. Not having a rash on my forehead is more important to me than walking past passengers with it on. For the record, I wore my last hat every day... everywhere I was supposed to. In the terminal, walk arounds etc. I am not against wearing a hat.. I think it looks sharp. It's just THIS specific hat is giving me skin issues. So yeah, I will wear it as little as possible. Fortunately it's starting to get a bit cooler out so my forehead isn't really sweating as much anymore so the rash has not been as much of an issue as of late. It still doesn't excuse the poor Chinese sweatshop quality our uniform has become.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

ahramin wrote:In my experience it's quite the opposite. The ones who are worried about hats and sock colors are often the ones who are too smart - in their own minds - to follow the SOP and are invariably the ones who can't figure out basic CRM and crew building skills.

If I have a choice between the pilot with no hat and the pilot who thinks it's a good idea to run around telling everybody they should wear the hat, I know who I'd want flying my family.
:prayer:

& ditto to the pants

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Personally I think the hat looks stupid but I have to admit there are a few handsome men around here that look pretty sharp with it. I'm not one of them, but they do exist. And on the lady pilots ... awful. It really brings it home how stupid a hat like that is in the 21st century to see a woman wearing one. Even if the hats stay they should be exempt.

Today for the first time however, I spotted someone wearing full beard and hat. It looked ... just ... words fail me. The only thing I can think to say is ... no.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

The Mad Hatter!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

ahramin wrote:Personally I think the hat looks stupid but I have to admit there are a few handsome men around here that look pretty sharp with it. I'm not one of them, but they do exist. And on the lady pilots ... awful. It really brings it home how stupid a hat like that is in the 21st century to see a woman wearing one. Even if the hats stay they should be exempt.

Today for the first time however, I spotted someone wearing full beard and hat. It looked ... just ... words fail me. The only thing I can think to say is ... no.
This guy looked all right:

Das ist mir wurst...
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

..Until about 1/2 way across!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

I don't mind a bit of Jazz, but I'm definitely more of a Rock/Metal kinda guy.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Captain Smith had a trimmed, neat beard. Not one of the hillbilly ones currently fashionable with hipsters. It didn't roll down his lapels like a kinky pubic wave.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Soulless pedants, grimly determined to establish the blatantly obvious link between the wearing of an item of clothing to operational ability, exist in every company, and always have. I've found the best antidote is just to laugh at them.

Just remember to wear it on your linecheck. :mrgreen:

Captain to FO: "Where's your hat?"

FO: "It's in my bag."

CA: "Why aren't you wearing it?"

FO: "Oh, it's too small".

CA: "#$^&!! So why don't you get them to issue you a larger one?!?"

FO: "Then it won't fit in my bag".

Here all week, g'night, drive carefully.

(Say, is that a picture of a Qantas pilot?)

As for the bearded tools, when the day comes they need the O2 mask they'll figure out that while it may bolster their millennial hipster cred, it ain't the best thing if you want to remain conscious.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Is there a single recorded case of a pilot becoming unconscious because of a beard?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

According to Georgian"you cant wear a beard because the oil from your face might catch on fire". Okay does that preclude the ladies from wearing lipstick? " crickets chirping". Back when I was there we had an engineer who savaged there "logic". He still had to shave.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

ahramin wrote:Is there a single recorded case of a pilot becoming unconscious because of a beard?
No, because people haven't been allowed beards until now.

Does anybody really expect an oxygen mask to fit properly over a duck dynasty beard?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

We aren't allowed a duck dynasty beard. Max length is 1/2 inch. Many airlines allow beards, I don't really see what the big deal is...

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

The beard thing will pass when people realize they no longer look unique. I don't think it's a safety issue, it's more of a LOOK AT ME issue. Saw one guy with a baby little Salvador Dali mustache, clearly quite pleased with himself. Uh, no bud. Skulk away in shame you look ridiculous.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Is there a single recorded case of a pilot becoming unconscious because of a beard?
Doubt it. Has anyone here even used one? It's not like firemen who need them to protect themselves from poisonous fumes and smoke. Planes are pretty safe these days.

Return to “General Comments”