AVCANADA

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next
 Post subject: Jazz Hatters
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:08 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Serious question to the numerous Jazz folk who refuse to wear the hat. What other aspects of your job are you willfully non compliant just because you don't like it? FFOD checks? Stable approach criteria? How far does it extend?

Post subject: Re: Jazz Hatters
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

I feel the maintenance needs extra work to do. So at least once a day I try and over-speed the gear or flaps. 8)

Someone's dislike of a hat is a bit of a stretch when attempting to compare it to stable approaches. It's not a safety thing, it's barely even a professional appearance thing. WJ pilots still look professional, and they never wear hats. Do you feel Jazz should have their pilots wearing boxers or briefs?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

I am a boxers guy myself, but I don't judge the brief wearers.

Personally, I've been wearing the hat less now because of the cheap velvet sweatband these new hats have. My hat is only a 30 knot hat, but the velvet still irritates my forehead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:04 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

It's probably my greatest fear in applying for an airline job. I look terrible in ANY hat except a touque.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:07 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

How is this a serious question when you assume that just because someone doesn't where the hat, (I don't like them, but I dislike the ballcap in the cockpit more), must mean they break every other sop there is. Lookout guys, his tie is 2 shades darker than the SOPs. Recipe for disaster! Have you contacted TC yet to start fixing this safety issue?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:07 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

My new hat is uncomfortable. The same size new hat is smaller than the old one so it fits too tight and leaves a red band on my forehead. Picking up a new one when time allows. Bring the old one along for the ride to make it look like I care. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:08 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

PS. Stupid comment from the original poster to assume we disobey SOPs because we don't wear an ill fitting Chinese made hat!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:32 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

OP once again reaffirms this industry takes all types of people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Ah, yes........that critical link between sartorial correctness and flight safety. Often misunderstood, but still important.
Hats off to the OP for reminding us all. :goodman:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:16 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Inverted2 wrote:
PS. Stupid comment from the original poster to assume we disobey SOPs because we don't wear an ill fitting Chinese made hat!

Really? Touched a nerve I see. The uniform policy is pretty straightforward. No real room for interpretation. "Thou shall blah blah blah". Is it such a stretch to assume that if a "professional" pilot cannot follow something as easy as wear a hat, it may creep into other aspects of their job? Of course using stable approach criteria is hyperbole, but I assume by the time you get to Jazz you're a pro. Pros follow rules regardless of opinion. And when I see someone breaking such an easy rule I certainly don't think there goes a pro. In my opinion of course. Which you don't care about, because you can't even be arsed to wear a hat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:20 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Haters gonna hate..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

atphat wrote:
Inverted2 wrote:

Really? Touched a nerve I see. The uniform policy is pretty straightforward. No real room for interpretation. "Thou shall blah blah blah". Is it such a stretch to assume that if a "professional" pilot cannot follow something as easy as wear a hat, it may creep into other aspects of their job? Of course using stable approach criteria is hyperbole, but I assume by the time you get to Jazz you're a pro. Pros follow rules regardless of opinion. And when I see someone breaking such an easy rule I certainly don't think there goes a pro. In my opinion of course. Which you don't care about, because you can't even be arsed to wear a hat.

No nerves touched here. I simply pointed out there are some issues with the fitting of the new hats whereas you inferred we operate our aircraft against the SOPs in a reckless manner which is untrue. Sounds like someone has hat envy. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Until they give me a new one with new velvet, it's staying in my hand. I got a nasty rash last week when it was 30* outside and since then it's no longer being worn. The company and unisync are aware of the issue, and until ALPA presses them to fix the problem it will likely keep dragging on. Just like the pants.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

you dont wear your pants either?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:01 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

leftoftrack wrote:
you dont wear your pants either?

Not the company supplied ones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:40 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

I saw bright orange socks the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fair enough. Just a joke. Not surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:50 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Seen a couple Jazz guys with beards too the other day, are you guys are allowed to sport trimmed beards now?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:44 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

GreenBastrd wrote:
Seen a couple Jazz guys with beards too the other day, are you guys are allowed to sport trimmed beards now?

Yes, mainline and GGN as well. Not sure about SKY.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:18 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hatters gonna hat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:55 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

Because you can, does not mean you should.
There are now numerous examples of Captain Highliner, and Captain Obvious walking around. They look unprofessional and ridiculous in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 am 
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

In my experience it's quite the opposite. The ones who are worried about hats and sock colors are often the ones who are too smart - in their own minds - to follow the SOP and are invariably the ones who can't figure out basic CRM and crew building skills.

If I have a choice between the pilot with no hat and the pilot who thinks it's a good idea to run around telling everybody they should wear the hat, I know who I'd want flying my family.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

I was driving 110 on the 401 today but I did wear my hat while I did it. Where do I fit in regarding intentional non-compliance and deviating from the rules?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

mato wrote:
I was driving 110 on the 401 today but I did wear my hat while I did it. Where do I fit in regarding intentional non-compliance and deviating from the rules?

Shame on you !! That kind of behaviour directly correlates to you flying STARs at 10kts above the speed limits.

:smt040 :smt040

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

co-joe wrote:
My hat's off to you!

I see what you did there. Nice one.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next