TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#1 Post by single_swine_herder » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:59 am

Just finished watching a video series done about 5 years ago about pilots from various far-flung places trying to get "a first seat" with air carriers operating out of the town of Maun, Botswana.

Reminds me of times when newbies would flock to Yellowknife, La Ronge, or other aviation hot spots at the end of the road in hope of eventually finding their way into that all-important first job as a pilot.

There are 10 episodes. Here is the link to the first.

https://youtu.be/HVz2tu5ShSc

SSH
---------- ADS -----------
  

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#2 Post by GyvAir » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:47 pm

We pay 500 Pula.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#3 Post by HansDietrich » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:28 pm

I think I heard something about a poor Canadian pilot that got stabbed in the back in Botswana (literally). He's now a quadriplegic
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

dash8ing
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#4 Post by dash8ing » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 am

To dispel myths.. Botswana is usually a very safe place to live and work. I was there for a couple of years and only recently came back to Canada. This was simply a case of wrong place, wrong time for this pilot. He is a very good friend of mine.

The pilot in question is a South African who was raised in Botswana. He had a flat tire in the middle of the night and was robbed by 5 men while trying to fix it. He is in high spirits and has started his rehab and is doing remarkably well, much better than the initial prognosis.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#5 Post by HansDietrich » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am

dash8ing wrote:To dispel myths.. Botswana is usually a very safe place to live and work. I was there for a couple of years and only recently came back to Canada. This was simply a case of wrong place, wrong time for this pilot. He is a very good friend of mine.

The pilot in question is a South African who was raised in Botswana. He had a flat tire in the middle of the night and was robbed by 5 men while trying to fix it. He is in high spirits and has started his rehab and is doing remarkably well, much better than the initial prognosis.
I"m so glad he's doing better than expected! Unreal! It's true though, assaults like this happen can happen anywhere. Botswana certainly doesn't have the reputation that Sudan or Dem. Rep. of Congo. has. I've had friends who worked in Goma and the stories I heard were unreal. Good luck to your friend. I really mean it.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2802
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#6 Post by CpnCrunch » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 am

Being broken down at night on a highway isn't my idea of "wrong place, wrong time". You're highly unlikely to get robbed at knifepoint in that situation in Canada, but in Botswana it's apparently quite common if you're in a 4x4 or expensive looking car. In Canada the crackheads will just steal stuff from your car if you leave stuff in it overnight.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#7 Post by HansDietrich » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:42 am

CpnCrunch wrote:Being broken down at night on a highway isn't my idea of "wrong place, wrong time". You're highly unlikely to get robbed at knifepoint in that situation in Canada, but in Botswana it's apparently quite common if you're in a 4x4 or expensive looking car. In Canada the crackheads will just steal stuff from your car if you leave stuff in it overnight.
Probably not that common in Canada, but there are places in Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver that I would not want to wander alone at night. I'm comparing it more with other countries in Africa
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

dash8ing
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#8 Post by dash8ing » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm

HansDietrich wrote:Probably not that common in Canada, but there are places in Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver that I would not want to wander alone at night. I'm comparing it more with other countries in Africa
x2

Can't be comparing it to Canada but it's still a reasonably safe country. Also it wasn't on a highway, it was in town on his way home. It's atypical to have violent robberies in that area, thefts are usually opportunistic such as break ins when no one is home or pickpocketing. I never felt afraid or uneasy while I was there. Keep in mind that this is a relatively small town, not a big city. I'm sure things would be much different in the capital.
---------- ADS -----------
  

collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 am

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#9 Post by collegeboy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:59 am

How do all those camps get fuel, haul it in with drums like we do in the bush here in Canada?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am

Re: TV Series .... Botswana Newbies Looking For A Job

#10 Post by Noo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:03 am

HansDietrich wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am
Botswana certainly doesn't have the reputation that Sudan or Dem. Rep. of Congo. has. I've had friends who worked in Goma and the stories I heard were unreal. Good luck to your friend. I really mean it.
I'm curious. What happened to them?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”