AVCANADA

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Circuit Altitude at CNY3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hello,

Could anybody let me know what the circuit altitude at CYN3(Collingwood Regional Airport) is, please? My CFS isn't with me(or anywhere near me since I am far away from home and will be for a while), and I couldn't find anything online so I would appreciate it if someone could let me know.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:02 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

1730ft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.
It's not a certified airport, so it can be any altitude you want. The ground elevation is listed as 730MSL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

You are flying cross country without a CFS (paper or electronic)???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

and has a way to internet but cant find it ??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Photofly,,,,,,, I have never heard that the circuit altitude is anything you want because it is not a certified airport.
Can you expound upon that or paste the link for that information.
I have never heard of that before and It's a poor day when you don't learn something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:55 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Where did he say he was flying cross country?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:54 am 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.
Tinker wrote:
Photofly,,,,,,, I have never heard that the circuit altitude is anything you want because it is not a certified airport.
Can you expound upon that or paste the link for that information.
I have never heard of that before and It's a poor day when you don't learn something.

Sure.

Firstly, there's absolutely no blanket regulation about the height of a circuit, anywhere in Canada. It's common for light piston aircraft to fly circuits at 1000 AGL, but it's not a requirement. Clearly the actual height you fly your circuit depends on, amongst other factors, the aircraft type and the weather on the day.

CAR 602.96(3)(d) says "The pilot-in-command of an aircraft operating at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall ... where the aerodrome is an airport, comply with any airport operating restrictions specified by the Minister in the Canada Flight Supplement;"

If you look in the CFS for a particular airport and under the Procedures section, there is a RESTRICTION on circuit altitude then there's an argument that you have to follow it.

CAR 602.105(d) says No person shall operate an aircraft at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome except in accordance with the applicable noise abatement procedures and noise control requirements specified by the Minister in the Canada Air Pilot or Canada Flight Supplement, including the procedures and requirements relating to ... (j) the minimum altitude for the operation of aircraft in the vicinity of the aerodrome.

if you read the CFS entry for (eg) CYHM it says
Quote:
Pursuant to CAR602.105 the following procedures are in effect. 1. Circuit altitude 2500ASL for turbo-prop and turbo-jet acft".

As another example, look at CYXU: the CFS says
Quote:
Rgt hand circuits Rwys 33 & 09 (CAR 602.96). Circuit hgt 1900 ASL all rwys.

So where the aerodrome is certified (and hence an airport) and a restriction on circuit altitude is listed, or where a 602.105 procedure is listed specifying a circuit altitude, then that would take precedence over your discretion to fly a circuit at an altitude that you as PIC deemed suitable.

Otherwise, fill your boots, in a sensible manner. Collingwood's CFS entry doesn't have a 602.105 noise abatement procedure, and it's not certified, so there's no requirement to follow any other restriction in the CFS. And there are none, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

When I was doing tail wheel training at Nanaimo I used to go out early in the morning and fly thirty second circuits alternating left and right hand circuits for the wheel landing training....100 feet downwind was the usual height.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:52 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Look... it's the unintelligent mathematician. Shivam, you need to learn math to correctly learn circuit altitude... now I await some clown to disapprove my tongue-in-cheek rhetoric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

http://www.collingwood.ca/regional_airport

Popped up right away..with telephone numbers.....