North wright air changes in mgt?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

North wright air changes in mgt?

Post by oldncold »

Heard from a fellow doing rotation that :
Cp and some exp vacated ergo quit there positions due the Ole ceo demanding less than min fuel for alternates inorder to carry more cargo.. now there of course 2 sides to the equation but he noted giving up 89k to fly a beach 1900 is not done lightly / his point was there is no esso or shell in the sky, when the wx craps out. comments on the validity of this appreciated as have a couple of low timers looking for info on company.Also noted is hr /recruiter has moved on as well. Pm if you prefer not. To post. //. V1 rotate. Is this an issue tc should look at?
---------- ADS -----------

ArcticpilotNCC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: North wright air changes in mgt?

Post by ArcticpilotNCC »

This is absolutely absurd, in my time there not once did management ask me once to take less fuel to put on extra cargo. The CP always advocated for the proper amount to be taken, his numbers were sometimes higher then our calculations!!. I always took my required IFR when it called for it. Some ground agents were a pain in the ass but that's ops normal. I have seen some pilots really nervous of the remote location and decide they need more then CARs regulations but each pilot is different depending on their comfort level. The North in that area has plenty of sched fuel stops now so excessive fuel shouldn't even be a problem now a days.

Still in touch there so can clear up some stuff, CP did not quit is still there, HR / recruiter did not move on she is still there as well the department just expanded...story is fill of holes and sounds like someone is disgruntled. Was his fuel close to the other captains? Was he taking more then CAR's if so why? Did the CEO give him a number or shave by X amount or piss him off by asking what his load was...oh the questions... :shock:

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

oldncold wrote:Heard from a fellow doing rotation that :
Cp and some exp vacated ergo quit there positions due the Ole ceo demanding less than min fuel for alternates inorder to carry more cargo.. now there of course 2 sides to the equation but he noted giving up 89k to fly a beach 1900 is not done lightly / his point was there is no esso or shell in the sky, when the wx craps out. comments on the validity of this appreciated as have a couple of low timers looking for info on company.Also noted is hr /recruiter has moved on as well. Pm if you prefer not. To post. //. V1 rotate. Is this an issue tc should look at?
I talked to the CP about a month ago. He seemed to be a very knowledgeable guy.

North Wright is a long established family company. It deserves respect and fairness here.

Many will know who the Ole CEO is. An allegation that that person is requiring violation of the air regulations is in effect an allegation of criminality. I would think there should be a much greater footing under that than what you give above. I'm not disputing that you may be forwarding a true story but ultimately someone would have to put their name to the allegation and have some proof. Again, not disputing that all of that may be possible.

All small family companies, particularly in the North, are facing management challenges that are beginning to be beyond their management capabilities in terms of strategies and tactics in difficult times. Right now, keeping crew is the challenge. If you hire young pilots because they can lift heavy shit, then you are going to quickly be losing them to the airlines in the current environment. There is a good supply of 55+ pilots around who are never going to be going to the airlines and who would stay around for five or ten years and give stability. They aren't going to go somewhere they have to lift shit. They will see their job as using their experience to operate the company's airplanes safely and efficiently. Hire kids at the bases to do the lifting. Problem solving 101 for small companies.

If someone actually did quit a job because they were required to violate the minimum fuel regs, they have a very strong case for constructive dismissal. It sounds like there would be a few witnesses if everyone quit for the same reason.

This thread should come down and be started up again as its a good discussion, but shouldn't be company and CEO specific.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Is this an issue tc should look at?
Because of some 3rd hand knowledge rumour post on an anonymous aviation forum?

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Who would ever take off without legal fuel reserves!

Northern News Services
Published Monday, May 04, 2009
INUVIK - A charter plane made an emergency landing on the Dempster Highway on Saturday after both engines failed, forcing the pilot to land.

The plane owned by North-Wright Airways Ltd., a Norman Wells charter company with an office in Inuvik, landed approximately 15 km out of town at the 242 km marker of the highway sometime early Saturday afternoon.

The Inuvik fire department along with the RCMP, Highway patrol and the town's by-law unit responded to the emergency.

There were no passengers on board and the pilot was not injured in the incident. Mechanics for North-Wright Airways were headed to the scene late Saturday afternoon to repair the plane so the pilot could continue on to the Inuvik airport.

No information was available as to where the plane was coming from.

The highway was closed to traffic Saturday afternoon.

ArcticpilotNCC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ArcticpilotNCC »

- Classic misdirection, That Aircraft was a Beech 99 and the wonderful NAC not full was the issue there as per the report. Pilot filled the wings assuming the NAC's were full thereby shorting himself. Clear Pilot error.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

There's an ad for the CP up now, so obviously he did quit.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I'm surprise he didn't put in more fuel and not write it down like everyone else in Northern Canada do.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Haha just northern Canada?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

When did that double engine failure happen and who was the CP/Ops Manager/CEO at the time? Are they the same people?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not north wright, but another northern operator i was at. The ops man gave me sh!t, and had me throw on another 500# because" we always give the customer a vfr load". I wasn't there long.

Problem we have is there was no way to record the implied threat of unemployment, and nobody else was on the phone.

Always, always, always record any dealingsnwith company or management

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

rigpiggy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 am Not north wright, but another northern operator i was at. The ops man gave me sh!t, and had me throw on another 500# because" we always give the customer a vfr load". I wasn't there long.

Problem we have is there was no way to record the implied threat of unemployment, and nobody else was on the phone.

Always, always, always record any dealingsnwith company or management
You should have said you were having trouble understanding exactly what he wanted over the phone connection, and that you wanted confirmation via e-mail before you did anything. When I've asked for management to provide written confirmation of dubious instructions, they've always immediately backed down.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Quite a few individuals seem to believe that they can get away with these things in this day and age by just talking to you in person or on the phone, instead of via text or email.

I have this fancy little app on my phone that would start recording when certain numbers called. One individual was quite pissed off when I called him out on his bullshit and played him back the conversation verbatim.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

You do understand that its a criminal offense to record someone without their knowledge right Roudy?

jamesel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jamesel »

Leftoftrack - Actually, in Canada, it is Very legal for you to record your own conversations. A quick search will back up Rowdy's actions......

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

leftoftrack wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 am You do understand that its a criminal offense to record someone without their knowledge right Roudy?
What utter nonsense.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37377602/
This young-lady recorded her @$$clown-academic leaders being wanks and I didn't hear anything about some supposed 'criminal offense' recording them.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

I have reviewed Canadian law and learned something today, Thank you for correcting me. I was wrong, because both Canadian and American legal systems are based off english law i assumed they'd be similar. They're not

Return to “General Comments”