Renew an Expired ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tapxe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Renew an Expired ATPL

Post by tapxe »

Hi, I've been working overseas for sometime and my ATPL in Canada is long expired (I have an APTL in the country which I work). I'm considering returning to Canada in the next couple years and want to get my ATPL reissued. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take to have this done. The TC website is rather vague but I understand having a Class 1 medical from an approved TC Doctor is re-validate my ATPL?

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Renew an Expired ATPL

Post by cncpc »

Get a medical. Put on your big girl panties. You're good to go.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Regarding renewing your medical, check on the TC website if the country you're living/working in has a TC approved CAME.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/came-meac/l.aspx

That way you can get that done sooner.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Your license never expires. If you ever held a valid ATPL then you still have one. What does expire is the whether you can exercise the privileges of your ATPL.

To do that you have to have a valid class 1 medical and a valid Instrument rating. Under the new rules your Instrument rating never expires however again it must be valid for you you to exercise the privileges. The good news is your airlines program may meet the Canadian requirements. There is an Transport Canada Advisory Circular that explains how that works.

So in summary

1) Get a Canadian Class 1 Medical

2) Apply for a Aviation Document Booklet if you don't have one.

3) Do an Instrument Proficiency Check in Canada If your foreign Instrument rating doesn't meet the requirements.

Return to “General Comments”