SAR Buffalo over Orillia

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

SAR Buffalo over Orillia

Post by PilotDAR »

Yesterday, for the first time since my July 12 accident at (well, in) Lake St John, I was allowed a weekend pass home from hospital. My being allowed weight bearing on either ankle is still at least a month off, so shuffling into the passenger side of my VW was a bit of a trick, but I did it (the hospital won't let you go until you show you can do it). My wife had a little time before our next stop, and asked where I'd like to go. It's been 9 weeks since I'd been anywhere, so I replied, just tour me around Orillia.

As we drove toward the harbour, I spotted a yellow SAR DHC-5 Buffalo, one of my favourite planes of all time. I had no idea there were any east of the Rockies, but obviously one has come to Ontario. The pilot flew two lazy circles around Orillia Harbour, with a very nice wing wave on the second pass, while we sat in the parking lot and watched. I explained my sentimental appreciation of the Buffalo to my wife, having worked for deHavilland back in the day, and flown in them a number of times. My wife, with a pleased smile said: "yes, I arranged that just for you!"

It was a fine beginning to a super return home for the weekend, thanks SAR pilot!
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: SAR Buffalo over Orillia

Post by Bede »

Glad you're slowly recovering!

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

PilotDAR wrote:Yesterday, for the first time since my July 12 accident at (well, in) Lake St John, I was allowed a weekend pass home from hospital. My being allowed weight bearing on either ankle is still at least a month off, so shuffling into the passenger side of my VW was a bit of a trick, but I did it (the hospital won't let you go until you show you can do it). My wife had a little time before our next stop, and asked where I'd like to go. It's been 9 weeks since I'd been anywhere, so I replied, just tour me around Orillia.

As we drove toward the harbour, I spotted a yellow SAR DHC-5 Buffalo, one of my favourite planes of all time. I had no idea there were any east of the Rockies, but obviously one has come to Ontario. The pilot flew two lazy circles around Orillia Harbour, with a very nice wing wave on the second pass, while we sat in the parking lot and watched. I explained my sentimental appreciation of the Buffalo to my wife, having worked for deHavilland back in the day, and flown in them a number of times. My wife, with a pleased smile said: "yes, I arranged that just for you!"

It was a fine beginning to a super return home for the weekend, thanks SAR pilot!
Beautiful. Rest up, and to a quick recovery!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Hope you had a good weekend home!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Stevo226
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stevo226 »

It was in YXU this weekend for the air show. Not sure if it was on the ground in between shows or went elsewhere

Return to “General Comments”