AVCANADA

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 am 
Rank 8
Rank 8

It won't affect float operators greatly. Flying day VFR with a 7am start, you can still do a 13 hour duty day with unlimited legs. If you want to wake your pilots up for a 5am start, the day is a bit shorter.

What this will end is the expectation that pilots stay around and do manual labour when not flying. Painting the office, fixing the dock, helping maintenance, loading other planes, sweeping the maintenance hangar, etc. That practice tends to lead to working 80 hours a week.

bobcaygeon wrote:
My life is more valuable than any job. If it's unsafe then you always have the option to quit..... I did and it sucked but I don't regret it.
Do you really think this industry is the only one that has such issues? The oil patch laid off/removed over 100,000 jobs in approx. 2 years. I'm sure there are unscrupulous companies there too that push the rules and pressure people because they can easily be replaced. Walking away is always an option.

Often pilots can't afford to quit. The abusive companies typically have nasty bonds as well. They hire kids with a fresh CPL and 200 hours who don't know any better. Now they're 6 months in, exhausted, still 20 grand in student debt with a 15 grand bond. Well, I guess they could quit then declare bankruptcy and go on welfare.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:59 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

goingnowherefast wrote:
It won't affect float operators greatly. Flying day VFR with a 7am start, you can still do a 13 hour duty day with unlimited legs. If you want to wake your pilots up for a 5am start, the day is a bit shorter.

What this will end is the expectation that pilots stay around and do manual labour when not flying. Painting the office, fixing the dock, helping maintenance, loading other planes, sweeping the maintenance hangar, etc. That practice tends to lead to working 80 hours a week.

bobcaygeon wrote:
My life is more valuable than any job. If it's unsafe then you always have the option to quit..... I did and it sucked but I don't regret it.
Do you really think this industry is the only one that has such issues? The oil patch laid off/removed over 100,000 jobs in approx. 2 years. I'm sure there are unscrupulous companies there too that push the rules and pressure people because they can easily be replaced. Walking away is always an option.

Often pilots can't afford to quit. The abusive companies typically have nasty bonds as well. They hire kids with a fresh CPL and 200 hours who don't know any better. Now they're 6 months in, exhausted, still 20 grand in student debt with a 15 grand bond. Well, I guess they could quit then declare bankruptcy and go on welfare.

Sounds like me. I ate the bond and left with my student loans. It's not like I made enough to have to repay them. Most government student loans allow you to just to pay the interest while your earnings suck.
Those operators aren't going away with these new regs, they'll find ways around it just like they do now. The only reason they will disappear is because TC has buried them in enough paperwork they've decide it is not worth it anymore. The new regs will require software that isn't cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

No it doesn't

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Cat Driver wrote:

T.C. is a political animal and corrupt to the bone and as long as it remains that way nothing will change.

If you want to really get noticed all you have to do is file a complaint with T.C. about rule breaking and you will not have to work for operators who break the rules because the word will get around that you are not a team player.

When I was fighting the foreign pilot issue a few years ago, another pilot (not me) filed a complaint to the RCMP that TC Canada was violating the CARs by allowing foreign pilots to fly for Canadian Operatiors with Foreign licences.

As soon as the RCMP approached TC to look into the matter, someone at TC (I have his name) called my employer to inform them that I had filed a complaint to the the RCMP against them.

I had not.

The RCMP never gave them the name of the pilot who had filed the complaint, but it HAD to be me.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:09 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Quote:
As soon as the RCMP approached TC to look into the matter, someone at TC (I have his name) called my employer to inform them that I had filed a complaint to the the RCMP against them.

If you can prove this you can demand he/she be fired and if they refuse to fire him/her P.M. me and I will tell you how to get it done.

I went through the process some years ago and got the T.C. person fired.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:17 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

So when did the federal government consider north of 60 a part of Canada ?
I was in YZF in 79 and it was in control of the feds back then and it was good 3 paycheques a month
2 company and 1 federal for living up north , i recall 890 bucks a mo. tax free and you couldn't go wrong if you had brass balls
work was tough in those days and it was better to be delusional
Drunk in better terms Strange Range every night except Sundays
The good old days are OVER
I never ever considered north of 60 a part of Canada because it is a place that the feds don't give a fuuck about it has nothing to offer to the grande scheme on how to build a nation
40000 people in the Nwt and that don't make shit in Canada
There are more immigrants coming into Canada then the entire population north of 60
Rules are rules and Canada loves them
a good example of living up north opposed to the rest of the country is
when you go on line to buy something and the merchant offers free delivery
ok add to cart and then you do check out
they charge 38 dollars for shipping to postalX1A yellowknife WTF this is not Canada, Canada post is cheaper
so you try to get a explanation on line from the retailer and its imposible to get a answer
it is just like trying to get a answer from TP or any GOV fed
Canada is bullshit and North of 60 needs to get there shit together form a alliance with the aboriginal Gov and live like a Canadian
Southerners have ten times more liberties
i don't call Canada my home anymore the political situation is too costly i moved onto a developing Nation and i am happier than i was ever in Canada
Its full of Hypocrits OH ! best place on earth FU!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

Uh, yeah. Thanks for pitching in to the conversation, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:08 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

tohellnback wrote:
So when did the federal government consider north of 60 a part of Canada ?
I was in YZF in 79 and it was in control of the feds back then and it was good 3 paycheques a month
2 company and 1 federal for living up north , i recall 890 bucks a mo. tax free and you couldn't go wrong if you had brass balls
work was tough in those days and it was better to be delusional
Drunk in better terms Strange Range every night except Sundays
The good old days are OVER
I never ever considered north of 60 a part of Canada because it is a place that the feds don't give a fuuck about it has nothing to offer to the grande scheme on how to build a nation
40000 people in the Nwt and that don't make shit in Canada
There are more immigrants coming into Canada then the entire population north of 60
Rules are rules and Canada loves them
a good example of living up north opposed to the rest of the country is
when you go on line to buy something and the merchant offers free delivery
ok add to cart and then you do check out
they charge 38 dollars for shipping to postalX1A yellowknife WTF this is not Canada, Canada post is cheaper
so you try to get a explanation on line from the retailer and its imposible to get a answer
it is just like trying to get a answer from TP or any GOV fed
Canada is bullshit and North of 60 needs to get there shit together form a alliance with the aboriginal Gov and live like a Canadian
Southerners have ten times more liberties
i don't call Canada my home anymore the political situation is too costly i moved onto a developing Nation and i am happier than i was ever in Canada
Its full of Hypocrits OH ! best place on earth FU!

It's a ring toss game