CRA Rules and Airline Benefits

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

CRA Rules and Airline Benefits

Post by GhostRider6 »

Hello,

I surely hope this will not apply to airline passes. I did phone my liberal MP and they said they would look into this and they had not actually heard about these changes! The person from my Mp’s Office did say that there were plans in the works to tax group benefits! Yes, that’s right !! Although she could be confused. ( which I hope)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/g ... -1.3625058

If they did decide to tax airline passes I don’t see any redeeming value in working for a regional with already rock bottom pay levels on both the pilot and FA side of things. What about commuting? Or airline retirees?
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: CRA Rules and Airline Benefits

Post by Panama Jack »

Just read about this too and you beat me to asking the question. Looks like our good-looking PM's people have really started nickle & diming.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Confirmed travel is a taxable benefit whereas standby travel is not. There is a CRA document on this. No time to fund and post though.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Regarding employee travel, it has been attempted in the past and my understanding is, the airlines successfully argued that if the CRA was going to assign a dollar value to standby travel in an otherwise empty seat than every empty seat on every airplane would be written off as a loss.
Could they go after id90 or id50 positive space travel, seems like it could get lumped in.
As far as the liberal tax grabs all over the place, I hope Canadians remember them all during the next vote!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Bede wrote:Confirmed travel is a taxable benefit whereas standby travel is not. There is a CRA document on this. No time to fund and post though.
I hope you're right!

The things I want to say about our politicians would break every rule on this forum, so I'll say this! $)@$Q#R@#R@#)$)@#UR@)R#)R

Das ist mir wurst...
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

The article repeatedly calls the changes an attack on "those who can least afford it". Airline employees are hardly minimum-wage earners. Yet.
Bede wrote:Confirmed travel is a taxable benefit whereas standby travel is not. There is a CRA document on this. No time to fund and post though.
CRA policy can turn on a dime. Witness the changes coming to those using personal corporations. With the stroke of a pen, lawful portions of the tax code present since the 70's become "loopholes", and those who lawfully use them become criminals getting "unfair" advantages. It's like a real-life Animal farm. With the wealthy policy-makers own wealth carefully shielded in trust funds that won't, (of course) be affected by the changes.

Funny how THOSE changes didn't raise much of a fuss outside of those affected, but now that they're targeting flight benefits, it's a problem... :mrgreen:

ALL of these massive tax increases should be questioned, at least as long as the government is in huge deficit-spending mode. But that's the problem, you vote Liberal to get "free stuff" and then everyone complains when they have to pay for it...

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

complexintentions wrote:The article repeatedly calls the changes an attack on "those who can least afford it". Airline employees are hardly minimum-wage earners. Yet.

Funny how the proposed changes to personal corporations didn't raise much of a fuss outside of those affected, but now that they're targeting flight benefits, it's a problem... :mrgreen:

ALL of these massive tax increases should be questioned, at least as long as the government is in huge deficit-spending mode. But that's the problem, you vote Liberal to get "free stuff" and then everyone complains when they have to pay for it...
Taxing a stand by seat was also proposed by the conservative government, after all they did introduce a tax on our airport parking. As stated in this thread above, CRA gave up on taxing stand by tickets, since the seat would have been empty.

The personal corporation thing did create a huge fusss by the way, it is the sole reason Morneau is delaying his plan to implement these tax grabs.

I've realized that all governments parties are the same in the end.
The media/establishment are still wondering why Donald Trump got elected....

Sunny ways my friends......

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

complexintentions wrote:The article repeatedly calls the changes an attack on "those who can least afford it". Airline employees are hardly minimum-wage earners. Yet.
CRA policy can turn on a dime. Witness the changes coming to those using personal corporations. With the stroke of a pen, lawful portions of the tax code present since the 70's become "loopholes", and those who lawfully use them become criminals getting "unfair" advantages. It's like a real-life Animal farm. With the wealthy policy-makers own wealth carefully shielded in trust funds that won't, (of course) be affected by the changes.

Funny how THOSE changes didn't raise much of a fuss outside of those affected, but now that they're targeting flight benefits, it

Have you seen the pay at the regionals ?

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

The "attack on those that can least afford it" was directed at the country's 2 million retail workers and fast food restaurant workers who all predominantly work for minimum wage, and who would be forced to consider their half price Big Mac's and half price Christmas sweaters as taxable benefits, and would have to claim the other half of their said Big Mac's and Christmas sweaters as income. Total cash grab. Total bull shit.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Am i the only one that thinks just perhaps we just be going after overpaid civil servants, instead?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

mbav8r wrote:...I hope Canadians remember them all during the next vote!
If they're not all too stoned to remember by then.

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

Will per diems become taxable?

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

bigsky wrote:Will per diems become taxable?
No

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... hases.html

According to this website there is no tax on discounted services only on merchandise

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Well I have lots of old cooper helmets from playing hockey that I think I need to send to Ottawa! But the good news is if your airline gives you a 20-25% off full fare then has a 25% off sale they can't tax you. Here's to killing the middle class and taking money out of retail employees. It's as good as the finance minister bulliing business owners into personal pension plans and of course his family business offers them!. So to all the liberal and left wing nuts out there who think this government is helping people in Canada. I suggest you raise your hand and slap yourself in the bad of your head, but don't worry your copper helmet that you are wearing will protect you!

Cheers
Peeelot out!

Return to “General Comments”