EMPLOYED BUT LOOKING FOR WORK

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

EMPLOYED BUT LOOKING FOR WORK

Post by Northern Flyer »

So, I've been working at a company for a few years, and quite frankly I need a change. I spent a little time and constructed a pretty nice resume, now I guess that it is time to sent them out. There are only a handfull of companys I'm interested in working for, mainly because of location. But here's the problem, I feel loyalty to the company I work for. How does one go about telling his curent boss or chief pilot that he is job hunting? This happens all the time doesn't it? Or do you not tell them? The fact of the matter is, my curent chief pilot is a reference on my resume, he just doesn't know it yet. I could just wait for someone to call the CP for a referance, but maby it is benificial for him to have a heads up.

Any advice or experiances you all may have would ba appreaciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

..........YOUR FIRED!!!!! :wink:

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

:lol:

Nice one!! I can see the Donald Trump hand movement all the way over here!

-istp :lol:

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

I think you know the answer yourself.

If I felt loyalty to a company like you say you do , I would tell the truth right off the mark. After all , they need to plan for a replacement.

Remember son ,

HONOUR IS A MAN'S GIFT TO HIMSELF.

For me , VNE is not a limitation , it's a goal
L'arraignee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by L'arraignee »

R u out of ur mind asking that question????? Don't tell ur boss!!!

U r just going fishing 2 find out if there r companies out there willing 2 give u better conditions. If u find out so, u show the fact 2 u boss then if he really needs u 2 stay he will show u the money. If u r leaving 4 other reasons, then u explain them to him. If he doesn't understand that u cannot be happy in his company and u need a change, it means that he is a selfish bastard that doesn't deserve ur loyalty anyway.

U have a choice 2 make my friend, either u live 4 ur boss' hapiness of 4 ur own. When u wake up in the morning, do you want ur boss 2 b happy or urself 2 b happy?

As for the last post abt giving time for ur boss 2 find replacement,
Duke Elegant, dont u think we have enuf pilots in Canada sitting at home waiting 4 a phone call?

Dont waste time, send those resume my friend!

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Northern, telling your CP all depends on what type of relationship you have with him. If it's purely professional, I wouldn't say a word. If your friends, then by all means tell him. Also ask yourself what type of person is your CP. Some are cool and will be helpful. Others will make things uncomfortable untill you leave. I have known pilots to be honest about looking and it has come back to haunt them.

Personally, Unless I knew the CP really well, I wouldn't say a word.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Good question.. One that deserves a good answer and I believe you`ve received that from Duke& KAG. The only thing I would suggest from a management standpoint, is not to show your cards too quickly. It tends to "spook us" when we know you`re on your way out the door. You stated that you had just recently finished prepping your resume. Therefore, once you`ve started to send them out, AND have gotten a bite, thats the time you`d want to advise your CP. Why would you tell them any sooner? As was stated above though, if your a "friend" of the CP, then a heads up to him asap, would be greatly appreciated so the company can plan for your departure. No sense getting everyone all ready for your departure, only to have you go nowhere. You can tell a CP too soon, and you can tell him too late. Try to use some common sense, and if your loyality is to your current employer, then you will ensure they have plenty of notice before you leave for greener pastures. Ive never once been "angry" with a pilot that is leaving our ops for greener pastures, and or bigger tin. A hand shake and a smile is usually in order if they`ve done their job while working for us. Its when you have employees moving sideways or backwards, that the COMPANY needs to check itself. That works both ways, as when a guy gets his PPC on thursday and walks into my office and quits friday, that we tend to get a little aggrevated. Isnt that right "M.B" ? Proper and respectful notice will be appreciated and NOTED by both present and future employers. Burnt bridges are very difficult to ever recross. Hope this helps a bit. Best of luck to you in your endeavours. Fly safe, Cheers.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Northern Flyer, here is my 2 cents. First never use anyone for a reference that you have not first asked if it would be all right to do so. Secondly I wouldn't put reference names on my resume. Just state they are available upon request. You will ultimately be talking to the CP at Company A where you are applying to because I would assume you would follow up with a visit or at least a phone call after you send your resume.

The problem I have with telling the company or CP that I am looking elsewhere, and I have seen this happen more than once, is when Company A calls your company they just have to give you a lousy recommendation so they won't lose you. I hope that you are working for better people than that but believe me it does happen and you will never know the conversation ever took place and will go through life wondering why Company A never called.

If you feel the need to tell them or feel comfortable with the relationship between you and the CP then be honest with them. Any manager worth his salt knows you cannot deny a person his ambition. They may not be happy about it but they will certainly understand and if they don't, then don't sweat it you are leaving anyway. Tell them how you feel, that you have enjoyed your time there but you also feel you need a change. It is nothing personal!! Good Luck and remember don't burn the bridge if possible!! Whatever you decide to do make sure you give them sufficient notice even after Company A hires you so they can replace you. Two weeks seems to be the norm!!

Always Moving
Rank 3
Rank 3

It depends

Post by Always Moving »

I told my boss in February that I was leaving in December, he laugh! and he did not believe me, until September, I remain him if he was looking for a replacement, he freak out.
He started to look for a guy and after a couple of weeks he showed me the prospect and he and me choose the replacement. I even train the guy.
The day I left, he gave a present and wish me the best.
Then there are other assholes that I will leave them with the plane full and running if I could of......

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

Lots of great advice, thank-you. I do have a very good friendship with my CP. He's a good guy. Over the years I have seen alot of pilots come and go, the CP has never really had any animosity towards any of them for leaving. People come and people go. I'll have a talk with the CP today and let him know what I am up to.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

If nothing else, your discussion with the CP will help him to understand why you are leaving. Changes to employment conditions will only change if management perceives a need for it.

If for instance you were leaving because:
  • The crew housing was condemned (Island Lake, Big Trout Lake).
  • The drinking water was killing you (Pickle Lake)
  • Your spouse could not handle the village you were living in (anyplace ending in Lake, Ik,Ak, or Uk!)
  • The issue Kevlar vest for Shamsomething just doesn't have the stopping power for 308 rounds
  • Or... your salary just did not take into account the quality and cost of food mail, or the Northern Store (any place north of the Trans Canada)
....then the company may, come the next round of hiring at Georgian, Jazz, or WJ; have to change the way they compensate for these.

In any event, even if you tell the CP (tactfully) why you wish to move on, they may in fact up the ante. Maybe not, if you are leaving to fly a 737 on floats or something, but you won't know until you ask. And your present management may not knowsomething is perceived as a problem unless you identify it.

Good luck anyway.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

CLGuy's point about never using anyone as a reference without asking first is right on the money. It's only common courtesy for one thing. For another, it gives them a chance to plan ahead for the phone call they're going to get. If they're stumbling to find something good to say about you, even if they think you're the greatest pilot and worker on the planet, it's going to look to a prospective employer like they're doing their best to come up with something and failing at it, guess who probably won't get hired in that case. Last point, they may say something to the effect of "i'm sorry I can't give you a reference." Better you know in advance if that's going to be the case; if your prospective employer calls them and gets that answer, chances are you're cooked.

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

I think that any perspective employer would want to talk to your current CP. I think that it is somewhat fishy when a resume comes in and the current or former CP is not noted as a reference.

CLguy, I like the idea of leaving the references off the resume, and putting "available upon request." I'm going to use that. But regardless, if I were the perspective employer, I would call the curent CP. Who better to give insight on ones employability.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Northern Flyer

I think the word you are trying for is prospective. However in your case that would not be correct either as the definition includes the word likely. :D

And may i please request you do not yell in your subject line.

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

I think someone should design a spell check program for our posts.

I read somewere that the greatest pilots in the world are not only the first born children in their family, they are also notoriously poor spellers. 8)

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Northern Flyer,

They can always say:

"We don't know what we'd do with out you but starting tommorow we're gonna find out"

:D

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

AF

Give me a break fella's, this stuff happens every day. Pilots for the most part are pretty transient.

Can anyone out there honestly say they told management that they were looking for something bigger and better, so management fired them?? I'm not worried about that at all. Besides, it might take awhile to land that perfect job, to be honest there is really only one that I want.

Shark14
Rank 1
Rank 1

re

Post by Shark14 »

Northern Flyer wrote:AF

Give me a break fella's, this stuff happens every day. Pilots for the most part are pretty transient.

Can anyone out there honestly say they told management that they were looking for something bigger and better, so management fired them?? I'm not worried about that at all. Besides, it might take awhile to land that perfect job, to be honest there is really only one that I want.
You would think they would be ok with it, but it has happened and will happen again. You should consider holding your cards close until you have something more definite.

airwrench
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by airwrench »

northern flyer

Check your spelling on executing :twisted:

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »