noise cancelling headset; what to buy?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

noise cancelling headset; what to buy?

Post by toelessjoe »

So I'm looking at buying my first ever, honest to goodness, I'm-a-big-boy-now, brand spanking new ANR noise cancelling headset. Tell me what I want and why using small words and maybe pretty pictures. I respond well to puppet theatre.

.....aaaaaand go!

- Toeless.
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: noise cancelling headset; what to buy?

Post by atphat »

Bose A20 amazing. If you’ve got the cash.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Lightspeed Zulu 2 or 3 are both well made and very comfortable. Find a retailer that has a good selection of brands and models, and try them on.

Actual performance is largely identical between the brands, what is not is fit and comfort.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’d buy a Zulu 3. Bomb proof kevlar cables, and the lightspeed comfort.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I had/have a Dave Clark ANR headset and it had the shit beat out of it and worked 5 days a week without ever a problem for about 7 years or so...

I still have it but don't use it anymore... I expect it would pick up where it left off if I plugged it in.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I've had bad experience with Lightspeed and their crappy customer service. I wouldn't buy another one, and had to warranty both of mine.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That’s funny. I had super-great customer service from them, to do repairs to two headsets, one warranty and one not. They were especially helpful in untangling the knot I had created in making one working headset from parts of a Zulu and a Zulu 2 both of which needed different repairs.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

I can only vouch for the Bose A20, as I've only used that of the two big brands (Bose and LS). Experienced great customer support when having to replace a part (covered by warranty).

I suggest you borrow a coworker's (or friend's) Bose, try it out for a day's work, and then try a LS for a day's work to compare which you like best. Fit I think will be the biggest decision factor.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The best customer service experience is not having to get warranty work or repairs.

What are you supposed to do when you have to go to work and your headset is in the shop?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

altiplano wrote:The best customer service experience is not having to get warranty work or repairs.

What are you supposed to do when you have to go to work and your headset is in the shop?
The repairs in my case were both needed because of physical damage from heavy wear and tear. Which they covered under warranty for the newer headset still in the warranty period.

In one case the connectors of a headset were trapped outside the passenger door of a cessna for a four hour flight. I couldn’t determine the cause of that faint and occasional banging noise in flight, until I landed and saw the connectors had been slapping the side of the fuselage for the entire duration. I can hardly blame Lightspeed that they needed repair.

Although if I’d had the Zulu 3 with the kevlar cables they’d probably have been fine.

If anything is essential for work, have two. Doesn’t matter what it is or who makes it.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

After trying each, in the plane I would use it in, I chose the DC OneX, and was very happy with it. I also like the Bose, though the one I borrowed needed what would be a very simple adjustment on a DC, and not only was it not covered by warranty, but it would have been inconvenient to get it done (lucky, I did not own it). For my experience, DC headsets are amazingly tough, and if you do manage to damage one, the repairs will favour you, rather than DC. That nice OneX headset is now at the bottom of Lake St. John, having been ripped off my head. That reminded me that wearing an expensive headset while water flying may not be the best idea!

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

The David Clark Pro-X is awesome. I've been using it for 3 years with no issues. It's light, over the ear, quite and about $500 cheaper than the Zulus and Boses.

I have worn it in everything from a cirrus, king Air, corporate jet, now the q4 with never a prob.

Best part, order it, try it, don't like it, return it 30 days later with no charge and full refund.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Have the original Zulu 1 going on 8 years now, scratched up but works great. The new 3's come with a 7 year warranty.

They have a trade up program: any old DC passive headset is worth 150usd. If you had or found an old Zulu 1, it's worth 300usd credit.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

And if you have a Zulu 2 they will upgrade it to a Zulu 3 for $150. Basically that's a new cable assembly.

Meatinaseat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Meatinaseat »

Having switched back and forth with a friends light speed and my bose. I can say the performance is the same, however i found the bose to be much lighter and more comfortable to wear for long periods.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

If anything is essential for work, have two. Doesn’t matter what it is or who makes it.
That's a pretty broad statement.

Anyway, I just got the one that doesn't break... so I don't need two...

All this new tech, and plastic, and stuff is okay I guess for some people, but you can't beat proven durability and reliability if your goal is: "I'm-a-big-boy-now"... stop thinking about it, get a DC, and get to work...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

PilotDAR wrote:After trying each, in the plane I would use it in, I chose the DC OneX, and was very happy with it. I also like the Bose, though the one I borrowed needed what would be a very simple adjustment on a DC, and not only was it not covered by warranty, but it would have been inconvenient to get it done (lucky, I did not own it). For my experience, DC headsets are amazingly tough, and if you do manage to damage one, the repairs will favour you, rather than DC. That nice OneX headset is now at the bottom of Lake St. John, having been ripped off my head. That reminded me that wearing an expensive headset while water flying may not be the best idea!
+1

Best comfort, ANC, bluetooth interface, size for fitting in your flight bag is tiny because of how it folds up, battery life is ridiculous, I could go on...

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Sennheiser's S1!

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

altiplano wrote:The best customer service experience is not having to get warranty work or repairs.

Sennheiser sent me a new headset and did not have to send mine in for repairs until I got it. 2 Day delivery time. Got to keep the new ones just due to a buzzing sound. 5*. Headset with 5* Service. Only other service that comes close is DC and Bose. IME

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Meatinaseat wrote:Having switched back and forth with a friends light speed and my bose. I can say the performance is the same, however i found the bose to be much lighter and more comfortable to wear for long periods.
That's funny - I have done the same (mine is Lightspeed, my husband's is Bose) and while I agree that the ANR capability is the same, the Bose mic picks up engine noise (makes a loud background sound while he's speaking) while it is a practically silent background with mine.

The mechanical structure of his mic is more robust, but when mine wouldn't hold it's position and I told Lightspeed about it, they replaced it free of charge even though it was way out of warranty (by a year or two!) While they had it in the shop they changed out the wire too (for free!) because they noticed I had caught it in a door. Awesome customer service!

Return to “General Comments”