2018 General Hiring Outlook

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Maple_30
Rank 0
Rank 0

2018 General Hiring Outlook

Post by Maple_30 »

Hello everybody,

I'm opening this thread to gather some news about the hiring outlook at your airlines; for the end of 2017 till next year.
With all the movement in the industry right now, how your company is dealing with their recruitment policy? (mainly for 703/704 operators)
Last news tells us that Jazz needs like 300-400 guys for 2018, same for Air Canada. Any news for WestJet?

Basically, without eventually giving the name of your company, could you tell where do you operate, and how the hiring is going on right now?

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 2018 General Hiring Outlook

Post by tps8903 »

I think you mean 704/705 operators. Regardless I have first hand knowledge of at least 2 operations that have turned down buisness because they are short pilots. Aircraft involved were 1900's, DHC-6, and Cessna 206's.

There's talk that there are many operators in this position. It appears that there is difficulty filling pilot seats at the regional level. So far minimum job requirements have gone down. Eventually they will hit bottom and then it would stand to reason that pay will go up for qualified applicants. I seem to remember an Ontario company advertising a recruitment bonus of 10k last month for qualified applicants with a current PPC or time on type.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Unsubstantiated rumours for 2018 include:

AC hiring 30 a month indefinitely

Westjet will begin training for the 787, and need to fill 200 seats

Minimum 50% flow to Westjet from Encore would mean 100 OTS to Westjet mainline

Encore to continue minimum one class of 12 per month

Wasaya and Pasco to continue weekly job ads

Maple_30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maple_30 »

That's actually scary from a side, because these small operators are turning down their business 'cause they're short of pilots to fill their seats, but on the other hand it's great that the aviation industry is a now pilot market.
Interesting times ahead!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Just waiting till the pay goes up... And the schedule. 703/704 could be so great for people who like it, if only the work conditions would be liveable long term. For example no 20 days of 14 hours etc.

Time will tell... I am slightly optimistic, it will have to happen at some point...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

...unless Kim and Trump start throwing nukes at each other. If that happens, hopefully you like where you sit. It will become 2002 all over again, probably worse.

Things are going crazy right now, but with a maniac in the Whitehouse, things could come to a rapid halt.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

If nukes start flying you have bigger problems than where you currently work. Just surviving would be near the top of the list....just saying.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Wasaya and Pasco to continue weekly job ads
:lol: pretty much

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

It is really interesting time to be at a 703/704 operation.
Talking with some of the lower time guys regarding their future, they are almost spoiled for choice. They aren't worried about if they will be able to move on but rather debating the merits of multiple options. It feels great to see young guys feeling really positive about their future.
I think the goal should be to land somewhere that if the hiring spree stopped, you would be happy. Whether that means staying where you are or leaving asap it really is interesting times.

I do wonder about places like Pasco and Wasaya. How long till they have to raise wages? Does Pasco still have a bond? I would find it hard to live in YVR for their starting captain salary let alone the FO wage. And they sound like a great company from what I have heard. I wonder why they aren't raising wages. Are they on that thin of profits that they can't afford it? It seems with weekly ads they need pilots and can't keep enough. If they were to add 5 to 10k to the starting wages and dropped the bond it might keep people there longer?

All in all, I think it's going to be really interesting in the next year or two.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

It's the Klondike guys, good for you from a retired guy out of the business. Never seen this before personally, but I heard that it was the same in the 60's and the mid 70's.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

From what we're seeing on the FTU side of things, if you have a pulse and a CPL, you're going to be hired. Guys with 1500 hours are being pushed to left seat. Rather scary thought when you think that total cockpit time could be less than 2000 hours.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

It'll be good right up until our economy collapses due to the end of NAFTA, and the war between Trump and N Korea.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Donald wrote:It'll be good right up until our economy collapses due to the end of NAFTA, and the war between Trump and N Korea.
Not to mention Zoolander's carbon tax to make us less competitive.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Since starting flying in 1995, there hasn't been jobs this plentiful. The pilot shortage I've been hearing about for 20+ years IS here. Enjoy.
My only advise is don't just focus on the big, shinny metal. evaluate what you want, the lifestyle you want to live and target those jobs.
its a great time to be a pilot right now.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
YXDPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YXDPilot »

Air Canada hiring ~400 pilots
WestJet Encore - 2 classes of 12 per month ~300 pilots

Return to “General Comments”