King Air flap question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

King Air flap question

Post by pelmet »

According to a Flying magazine article...

"All current-production King Airs have a three-position flap system with available selections for up, approach or down. Select the setting you want and the flaps move to that position, easy as could be. That’s a welcome change from the ponderous philosophy in some older King Air models, in which moving the flap handle from down to approach elicits no movement of the flaps whatsoever. Instead, you have to move the flap handle from down all the way to up, wait for the flaps to reach approach setting and then move the flap handle to approach.

Never heard of that before. and I flew the A100 Is this correct?
---------- ADS -----------

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: King Air flap question

Post by oldtimer »

That is almost correct. To lower flaps to APPROACH, you select the flaps to DOWN and when the proper selection appears on the gauge, move the flap selector to APPROACH. Moving the selector to UP retracts the flaps. That is the system used in the King AIR 90, 100, A100, 200 Metro 11 and all but the latest serial B200 and 250. The 300 and 350 have 3 settings. UP, APPROACH and DOWN. The Metro 3 has 4 positions. UP, 1/4, 1/2 and full DOWN.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Tis correct.
Moving the selector from, say, 3 (down) to 1, won't do a thing. The only way to bring flaps up to a midrange position from full down is to bring the selector all the way up, watch the indicator travelling, and when it gets to the selection you want, put the selector down to that point and it will stop.
Bit of a pain for a full flap overshoot but that's about the only scenario.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

hit 100KIAS then go flaps up.......Fucking around with the flaps at low level will kill you. dont do the return to app flap in the missed

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

leftoftrack wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 am hit 100KIAS then go flaps up.......Fucking around with the flaps at low level will kill you. dont do the return to app flap in the missed
I always figured that's the way Beech wanted it done, hence the weird control for it.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Thanks,

Guess I forgot how it works.

Flown too many aircraft types over the years I guess.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

leftoftrack wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 am hit 100KIAS then go flaps up.......Fucking around with the flaps at low level will kill you. dont do the return to app flap in the missed
Single pilot I agree, especially when you're trying to split aging, unmatched throttle levers and prevent overtorques at the same time!

2 crew however, It's a different story, when the PM only has to be a gear and flap operator.

I more than kinda miss flying these guys.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

OOPS, I was wrong. When selecting flaps up from full down, you have to select flaps up (position 1) and then when the flaps are at Approach, select position 2. My bad.
Many moons ago on a PPC checkride, the candidate sort of fumbled the flap selection so we were advised to just select flaps full up on an overshoot. May loose a bit of altitude as the flaps come up but that is something built in to the King Air 100 AFM performance. So do not start a go-around with no room to descend just a bit.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

Flaps up, slow count to 6, flaps approach. It will get you very close and you don't have to watch the flap indicator while you're trying to adjust power.

Return to “General Comments”