Knee surgery and flying

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Knee surgery and flying

Post by LennyLeonard »

Anybody had their ACL and/or meniscus surgically repaired? If so, how much time did you miss and how did company view it? Considering getting the procedure done myself...
---------- ADS -----------

flameboy_99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Knee surgery and flying

Post by flameboy_99 »

I got ACL reconstruction surgery done last year. Pretty painful surgery. I was off work for 2 months after surgery. That said I healed pretty quick. The company didn't care about the time off. It's a pretty necessary surgery to do as it get harder to heal with age. Over 40 the muscle atrophy never fully recovers. Return to work will be based on your knee stability and range of motion. I was lucky in that I was able to indoor climb 4 weeks post surgery and was riding a bike soon after. My advice take the physio seriously as it will greatly reduce your recovery time.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

I Have rebuilt acl’s in both knees, I would say 6 to 8 weeks off work sounds right. First couple weeks are hard but then it gets better...but even if you feel good it may take 4-6 months before you get a stable knee so before that time you want to be extra careful not to tear that weak new acl. So I would not be worried about flying the airplane but the side work loading, dealing with ice or snow, take off covers..... depending on the type of flying you do.
I had two acl replacement surgery lk was pattela tendon and rk hamstring, i much prefere the hamstring methode, quiker healing, I was snowboarding on groomers after 4 months. The hamstring way is also a lot less painfull. Get a good surgeon, a good physio and do a lot of exercices before and after the surgery....

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

6-8 wks sor sure. I was younger when I had mine replaced (ACL, MCL and meniscal tear repaired). I started athletic therapy shortly after and just took it one day at a time. The surgery recover was less painful than actually tearing the ACL/MCL lol. Do your best to get back into Physio as soon as the doc will allow it because range of motion and muscle atrophy is the real killer if you stay immobile too long. Good luck, I've had my "new knee" now 14 going 15 years and so far so good. It will never be "perfect or the same" but its pretty damn close. (Find a good good surgeon).

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

I had ACL surgery almost exactly a year ago. I was putting weight on it two days later. My surgery was experience was awesome, I had no pain even after the drugs wore off. I personally think it’s very important to do the excersises and be as mobile as you can after the surgery. You need to work on getting the strength and movement back. I play softball and soccer again, and so far, knock on wood, it’s been good.

As for how long did it take to go back to work? I was lucky that I was off for most of the holidays. After my 2nd consultation, I felt like I could go back to work. When the doctor asked if I could foresee any issues going back to flying, the only legitimate concerns were emergency situations ie an evacuation or having to stomp on the brakes in a RTO. I could gingerly get into the cockpit (737) fine though. After hearing that, the doctor gave me a couple more weeks off, and I went back with no issues about 2 months after my surgery. I was lucky to also have good benefits which helped out.

Return to “General Comments”