That critical pirep may take a while to get to you

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

That critical pirep may take a while to get to you

Post by pelmet »

At least in the US. Don't know about Canada...

"While working Clearance Delivery, I received an URGENT PIREP via Flight Data Input/Output General Information (FDIO GI) message stating, “URGENT PIREP...DRO [location] XA30Z [time] 140 [altitude] BE40 [type] SEV RIME ICING….” This was especially important to me to have this information since we have several flights daily going to Durango, Colorado. My technique would be to not only make a blanket transmission about the PIREP, but also specifically address flights going to that location to advise them and make sure they received the information. The issue is that…I did not receive this URGENT PIREP until [1:20 after it had been reported]. Severe icing can cause an aircraft incident or accident in a matter of moments. It is unacceptable that it takes one hour and twenty minutes to disseminate this information. [A] better PIREP sharing system [is needed.] PIREPs should be entered in AISR [Aeronautical Information System Replacement] immediately after receiving the report and should automatically be disseminated to facilities within a specified radius without having to be manually entered again by a Traffic Management Unit or Weather Contractor, etc."

From ASRS #451
---------- ADS -----------

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: That critical pirep may take a while to get to you

Post by pdw »

We know that ATC reports the serious icing to transients at the specified altitude/area of the PIREP and then that same one is taken into consideration for the next wx for that location. Assuming there would have been icing already forcast for the area ... and the "serious" via PIREP is just an upgrade ?

It sounds like the point there is:
Since you can't afford to fool around with "serious", means instant disemmination to whom it may concern is a must ...well in advance of getting there. In the past typically a pilot finds out about a PIREP as-it-happens / enroute where if needed simply gets a change of altitude to get out of an unexpected icing severity. Except, in this day and age planes at the favourable altiudes are already often stacked rvsm and close horizontal, so it might be difficult for ATC to accomodate another altitude. The "Durango" flier (Pelmet's quote) needed this PIREP regardless of where he/she was enroute, even if still on the ground. It gets tricky targeting the right audience without also warning too many pilots/planes that don't need to know about it ...

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: That critical pirep may take a while to get to you

Post by Taxivasion »

ADSB + ForeFlight = almost instant pireps.

Return to “General Comments”