An Old MIFR Rating Issue

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fly2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

An Old MIFR Rating Issue

Post by fly2017 »

Hey there!

Looking for some feedback on an issue.

Back in 1999, I successfully passed my MIFR ride and had all the requirements fulfilled. I left the school shortly after and moved. I didn't have an opportunity to use the rating and later found out down the road when I went to rewrite the INRAT, that the flight school didn't submit the paper work to Transport and the rating was never added to my license. The school had since closed, so I couldn't follow up with them.

So back in 2011, I contacted Transport again after finding and submitting to them a copy of my flight test, the temporary certificate, log book entries, etc, but they said there was nothing I could do with it.

I am interested in finally getting the rating but I guess it will have to be done in an aircraft instead of a sim. Just curious if anyone ran into this issue?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

fly2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: An Old MIFR Rating Issue

Post by fly2017 »

Bump!

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Just a guess.....
Back then if your rating went 48 months without a flight test you had to write the Inrat again anyway. I'd say your going to have to write it again. However all your actual flight training if properly logged is still valid.
Get the King Videos they work great even on TC exams

Last edited by whistlerboy02 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your initial assessment of the situation is correct. There is a time limit to apply fora rating after a flight test (1 Year if memory serves). Your only practical option at this point is to get back up to speed and do the flight test again. Either that or lawyer up and see if you can force TC to issue the rating. I don't see the second option as viable due to cost, time, and likelihood of failure.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

It's been so long since I got my MIFR, but I don't recall the flight school ever having to submit anything. I thought the paperwork with the flight test examiner triggered the addition of a rating to your licence. The fact that you had temporary certificate indicates that process had started. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm assuming you have never had another MIFR ride since 1999. If you want to start flying again, after 18 years, probably best do it in an airplane anyway.

fly2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly2017 »

Thanks for the replies!

It's amazing to have all the requirements met, but for whatever reason it's not enough.

I have all the hours required, so it's just whatever it takes to get a recommend for the ride.

Still hurts the wallet though!

fly2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly2017 »

Thinking about this some more, I’m curious if I should get an opinion from another region, since it seems the different Transport regions have varying opinions on other issues I’ve read here on occasion.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

If you havent had a rating for 18 years you could never fly anyways. You have to start over, go do a course.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I'm not quite following here - you logged all the training hours in your logbook, right? If you've gone so many years without flying multi or IFR (I assume you have at least been flying single VFR), you should be in an aircraft for the refresher part of the training anyway. I thought the requirements were for a certain amount of hours dual, which should show in your logbook, so can't you just fly until you're ready for flight test?
(But maybe I'm not getting something - I am woefully short of coffee ;) )

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

With the rules as they were before 2015, the instrument rating would loose currency then two years after would expire completely. So based on the 1999 date you mention, even if the flight school submitted everything properly and TC issued your instrument rating properly, it would have completely expired in 2003 (1999+4). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You're looking at re-writing the INRAT and doing the initial flight test again to get a new Instrument rating. (Though they don't expire completely anymore.) As HiFlyChick says, you should be able to use your existing instrument hours so the hours won't be an issue. (You'll be adding more anyways getting back in practice.)

fly2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly2017 »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm studying for the INRAT now and with regular SIM practice hopefully it wont take too much time in the aircraft. I all ready have the hour requirements meet from way back when.

Return to “General Comments”