Logging multiple back to back flights

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dodgeram2500
Rank 0
Rank 0

Logging multiple back to back flights

Post by dodgeram2500 »

When flying for Air Cadets or Copa for kids, and you do three "plane rides" of say 0.5 each without getting out of the aircraft can you make just one log entry of 1.5? I know when you fly "stop and go's" for training it is considered one flight. Does anything change when you cross the hold short line? I tried searching the online AIM but couldn't come up with anything.

For billing/journey log purposes the flight school that I rent from has asked that I just make one entry and I'm wondering if I can do the same with my logbook.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Logging multiple back to back flights

Post by ahramin »

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder’s name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;

(h) in the case of a flight in a glider, the method of launch used for the flight; and

(i) in the case of a flight in a balloon, the method of inflation used for the flight.
If the flight is on the same date, in the same aircraft, in the same position, in the same conditions, and you write in the intermediate takeoffs and landings (CYVR, 3 trips) I don't see anything stopping you from putting it all on one line. I've been doing it for 20 years and TC never had a problem with it.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

/\ + 1

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

The only time I start a new line is if:
1. The date changes
2. The aircraft changes (instead of flying C-FAAA, I'm flying C-FAAB)
3. The crew changes (Today I fly with capt X and tomorrow with Capt Y)

Das ist mir wurst...
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

The key is engine shut downs. I'm going by memory here, but the CARs say something to the effect that flight time begins when an aircraft first moves under it's own power with the intention of take off and flight time ends when the last engine has been shut down. With this in mind, if the engines weren't shut down then it's all one flight. If the engines were shut down then it's a new flight. All that being said, from a practical standpoint, nobody is going to get to upset with how you do your personal log. Aircraft logs might be a different matter given that some companies track engine starts and up/down times.

Return to “General Comments”