North Cariboo vs CMA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

LOCBC
Rank 2
Rank 2

North Cariboo vs CMA

Post by LOCBC »

Which one better to work as a pilot?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: North Cariboo vs CMA

Post by Zaibatsu »

My impression is that NCA pays good but treats pilots like shit. CMA pays shit but treats their pilots good. Pick your poison.

Rightseatdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rightseatdriver »

^ lol if you think 36k before tax for a non contrail King air FO/1900 FO is "good pay" you are part of the problem my good sir.

Both pay like crap. If you want lots of hours definatley go to cma. If you want to fly a king air or 1900 for north cariboo, without a current type rating, be prepared to sign an easy bond of only 3 years.

:rolleyes: :lol:

Biggles
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Biggles »

Quote:”My impression is that NCA pays good but treats pilots like shit. CMA pays shit but treats their pilots good. Pick your poison.”

I have worked at both places, your impression is wrong. In fact,it is the absolute opposite. CMA pays shit and treats their pilots (specifically FOs) even worse than shit. They are an embarassment to the industry. NCA pay is slightly better but my experience working there was overall a positive one. The only reason I left was because I was only eligible for an upgrade on non-contrail routes.
If you are based in YYC a better option might be sunwest, I have heard it is alright there.
Good luck with your decision.

It is better to be sitting on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air wishing you were on the ground
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

How many pilots have been layed off at NCA vs CMA over the years? Sorry if you can’t realize that not worrying about whether you have a job tomorrow doesn’t play into how well you’re treated.

I don’t think that CMA has any of their pilots doing 5 on 2 off schedules like certain parts of NCA does.

Also don’t forget that there’s more to each company than entry level 703/704 flying and CMA is mostly scheduled stuff vs the Git er Done or else ad hoc into shit hole aspects of NCA.

Compensation sucks for both, but sucks slightly less at NCA

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Zaibatsu wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 pm How many pilots have been layed off at NCA vs CMA over the years? Sorry if you can’t realize that not worrying about whether you have a job tomorrow doesn’t play into how well you’re treated.

I don’t think that CMA has any of their pilots doing 5 on 2 off schedules like certain parts of NCA does.

Also don’t forget that there’s more to each company than entry level 703/704 flying and CMA is mostly scheduled stuff vs the Git er Done or else ad hoc into shit hole aspects of NCA.

Compensation sucks for both, but sucks slightly less at NCA
Not sure what CMA schedules look like but they were descibed to me as "great routes and flying, great airplanes, brutal schedule, terrible morale, no pay for training till after you finish (2 months)" Word is they cancelled everybody's vacation approvals. All of them.

NCA layed off 2 years ago, so did Sunwest, and just about everybody else in YYC. Today things seem ok from what I've heard. Deciding betweenj them will depend on your long term goals. If you want to fly a biz jet go sunwest, if you want to fly a dash or rj85 NCA. Just be advised that Contrail is still real, and a real pain in the ass.

SpyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpyPilot »

"a non contrail King air FO/1900"

"Contrail is still real, and a real pain in the ass"

"non-contrail routes"

I know what a contrail is, what I don't know is what all this is about?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 13&t=49232

To be a captain on a BE20 in YYC you need 500 Multi PIC, BE02 750, Citation 1500, and Lear 2500 multi PIc. Career progression is severely slowed down by these retarded requirements. Its a Calgary thing, and it is as dumb as it sounds. CMA doesnt follow these requirements. Neither does Air Canada.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

co-joe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 pm http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 13&t=49232

To be a captain on a BE20 in YYC you need 500 Multi PIC, BE02 750, Citation 1500, and Lear 2500 multi PIc. Career progression is severely slowed down by these retarded requirements. Its a Calgary thing, and it is as dumb as it sounds. CMA doesnt follow these requirements. Neither does Air Canada.
CMA did follow Contrail for their charter side of flying, hasn't changed as far as I know.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

With CMA you also have a few reciprocal jumpseat agreements to use for leisure or work travel.

Small up on NCA for those looking to commute or travel.

Return to “General Comments”