Part-time flying gig while working for a Major?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nwopilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Part-time flying gig while working for a Major?

Post by nwopilot »

Hello fellow aviation nerds!

I am curious if anyone has a part-time flying gig, in addition to their full-time flying job?

If I move over to a regional (or a major), would I still be able to fly/work at another (non-competing) job part-time?

STOP!! I know what you are already thinking!! Am I crazy? Maybe..... :rolleyes: But hear me out!

I know that I will eventually want to move onto to a bigger plane/better compensating job (money, time-off, benefits, job security...etc). However; I feel as though I might get slightly bored with the coffee and FMS! Also working a part-time flying job a few days a month would be a great way to make extra cash, and maintain sanity :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people can agree that flying a floatplane is much more fun than flying a 737!

I would be looking at flying VFR, or IFR, on any combination of the following types of aircraft: Twin Otter, King Air, PC-12, Caravan, 206 on Floats, and Beaver.

It would be primarily charter, northern sked, skydive operations, instructing, or Fly-in Fishing. If I am feeling realllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyy crazy.......also medevac :shock:

I am also curious about private flying (E.G. My own little cessna, or towing gliders)

Yes! I know I would need to comply with CAR restrictions for flight time/duty days! What I am looking for is the policies in place at different airlines with regards to part-time flying. I am looking at the following airlines:

Westjet Mainline and Encore
Air Canada
Jazz
Sky Regional
Air Transat
Sunwing
Porter

Thanks for the responses! Stay classy!
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Part-time flying gig while working for a Major?

Post by 180 »

At Westjet and Encore, as long as it doesn't get in the way of your rest periods or CARS flight duty limitations, you are welcome to fly floats, drop meat bombs, instruct, tow gliders, whatever.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Air Canada won’t let you fly commercially on your time off since it restricts your duty times and max flying hours. Recreational flying is ok though.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I've said it before but flight schools need people like you to teach IFR. Your talents would be best spent on the ground, both teaching groundschool and as a sim instructor. Get on part-time with one of the colleges where there's likely to be someone who appreciates your experience.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

You might find it's not as easy to get a part-time 703 job as you would think. Although really experienced guys are an asset in the 703 world, I know that at the companies that I've been in, having a guy who is not reliable (i.e. you can't be booked while on call) or who can only fly once or twice a month doesn't make the cost of keeping him current and PPCed worthwhile. Maybe that is just the companies I've worked with....
Go buy your own aircraft and have some fun!

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

nightbird wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am Air Canada won’t let you fly commercially on your time off since it restricts your duty times and max flying hours. Recreational flying is ok though.
It looks like you can instruct if you work for mainline.
The FOM only says not subpart 7 companies without prior permission.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"Aviation nerds"
Speak for yourself.

Leave the skydive and bullshit jobs to low timers.

You got your seat at a big carrier? Move on.

The 250 hour Joe trying to catch a break and get a start in this racket doesn't need some established guy working for free at the drop zone every weekend in the summer to get his jollies.

Save up and buy some block time on a Cessna... or buy a Cessna if that's what floats your boat.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

altiplano wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm "Aviation nerds"
Speak for yourself.

Leave the skydive and bullshit jobs to low timers.

You got your seat at a big carrier? Move on.

The 250 hour Joe trying to catch a break and get a start in this racket doesn't need some established guy working for free at the drop zone every weekend in the summer to get his jollies.

Save up and buy some block time on a Cessna... or buy a Cessna if that's what floats your boat.
+1

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

"Air Canada won’t let you fly commercially on your time off since it restricts your duty times and max flying hours. Recreational flying is ok though"

How does that apply to being a chief pilot? For another company? While working for AC?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

It doesn't say you can't, it says you need a authorization letter from the Director of Flight ops

Return to “General Comments”