Career in Aviation, realistic expectations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

LN2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Career in Aviation, realistic expectations

Post by LN2 »

Hello everyone,
I am a 40 year old man with the family living in Toronto area. Recently caught myself at the dead end office job that I hate and it made me think about career change.
I already have CPL that I obtained back in 2008 but did so only as a hobby and never considered flying as a career. Haven’t flown much in recent years, only short flights to keep the license current.
How hard is it to break into the industry nowadays for a 40 year old…? Is it still possible to get to a Major level here in Canada or abroad?
Please feel free to chime in
Thank you!
P.S. My significant other is on board with my decisions but she can’t move as she has a government job in TO with the pension.
---------- ADS -----------

Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Career in Aviation, realistic expectations

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Just did it. Check your PM. Anyone else thinking of aviation as a second career can PM me as well. I'm happy to share my expierience on a personal level. I'd post here but I'm not a fan of posting my personal accounts on a public forum.

anibalb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anibalb »

Hi LN2 I think you have more than a decent chance if you try to get in the game now. The big question will be if you can afford to be a pilot. There are many opportunities right now, just check the forum, but you are looking at making maybe 35/45K year to start.
I started flying late too and it's hard on the family but it's a good job, with lots of fun and a lot to learn. Way better than an office job.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Good luck!

LN2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LN2 »

Thank you for your responses and comments, it sounds reassuring...time to hit the books and get training out of the way.
Fly safe!

parallel60
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by parallel60 »

Go for it. You still have 25 years of flying left. Think about that.....25 years...a lot of time. Like they said above, the money will be tough for you for a while. But life is too short not to do what you like to do. Go for it and don't listen to any naysayers, even family(although that might be hard to hear), they are wrong.

Go after it...

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I remember years ago reading words by someone asking an advice columnist the same type of questions, albeit in their case their dream had been to be a doctor. But as life often has other plans for us, they had entered another career, settled down, had a family. Still, the dream of being an MD had stuck with them, and now in their 40's they finally had the time and the freedom to pursue it. But they were fretting about their age, about how medical school would take I dunno, 12 years or whatever. The writer was like "I'm just worried that in 12 years I'll be 54, too old for the profession", etc etc.

I never forgot the columnist's words. She said,

"And how old will you be in 12 years if you DON'T pursue your dream?"

So I say don't listen to people who say something isn't possible. Most of them are just self-justifying the abandonment of some goal or other of their own. Even if they really believe their intent is to help, most often they're just projecting their own subconscious sense of failure or loss. The only person who really knows what you want to do, what will make you happy, is you. Of course, support from family is crucial. But everyone else can pound sand. It's your life.

Certainly your aviation career will have different challenges than one that began at a more "conventional" age. But then, I've never really been one with much use for convention. :mrgreen:

Best of luck.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
dogga
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogga »

Hi, I just recently registered here, been reading mostly before, but as mentioned above would like to PM the 2 people that encouraged the starting people to do so. Unfortunately it won't allow me to do that as a new member. If anyone can share something would be great.
I am 30 and already started PPL. I am doing it full time and hopefully will be done by next year.
I would like to find out on what options am I looking at.
Outside ontario as well as in ON.
Please let me know any information as I really will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

The good news is you probably don't look like a kid. That actually gives you an advantage as IIRC bizjet operators prefer that.

dogga
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogga »

Actually sorry for hijacking the thread. I just didnt want to start another one. Was hoping to get advice to pm and get some advice but thanks for this one. Just to clarify what is IIRC bizjet?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Bizjet= corporate jet
IIRC...I think it is "if I recall correctly "

dogga
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogga »

Thank you got it. I just decided to post a new one anyways. Hopefully can get more info in depth.

Return to “General Comments”