First job options, outside ON or in ON

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dogga
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First job options, outside ON or in ON

Post by dogga »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 pm
dogga wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm
confusedalot wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm This is dinosaur information but it may provide to be helpful.

My first job was as a single engine instructor in a single engine operation which proved to be a dead end. However, it led to another job as a single and multi ifr instructor job, plus, they did multi engine charter work, and i also did the charter work, which put me on the map.

After being on the map, I received some attention and ended up in a multi engine ifr operation, which is now labeled as a 703 operation.

That was then, a long time ago when things were tough. Things apparently are not so tough anymore, so going straight into a 703 operation should be a realistic solution from what I read?
This is great information. I guess the best thing is if people can share this exact type of experience but hopefully more up to date. But even with the dinosaur information, I thought to ask, how fast did you find that first job even in those tough times, and how fast did the second one come around? Appreciate the help.
I did one of those aviation college things but, since the industry was dead as a doornail, it was either getting a float rating or an instructor rating, both of which were not provided from the college. Went to work outside of aviation, got the instructor rating (which was not so long), and it took six months from finishing college, through the instructor rating, to get the first job.

Second job took 3 months to get. Third job took a year. Next job took 4 months, then spent 5 years in multi piston IFR charters (industry still in the dumps)

Dash 8 left seat at 28 years old as a direct entry. then first officer widebody after 4 years, then captain widebody after 4 years. Bear in mind though that there was alot of instability in the industry and bankruptcies were a commonplace occurence, so I went back to narrowbody, then an office job, then to corporate, then to narrowbody again, etc.........

Once again, dinosaur information, and as I hear, things are booming right now, so you won't go through the same thing. But, as I can see, right seat widebody or narrowbody won't happen oevernight, but it will take alot less time. Maybe 5 years?
Thanks again. Thia actually brings up my other question. By doing that aviation college thing, did it give you any advantage at all? I am currently finishing college, but not aviation related, more electrical eng. I was wondering how overall do companies look at these educations, who is given priority more. I know your situation was long time ago, so times have changed. Maybe someone else can add some advice here. Do companies look for University? College? Aviation College/Uni? Whos given priority? All these answers would help out a whole lot as well.
---------- ADS -----------

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

dogga wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:49 pm
confusedalot wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 pm
dogga wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm
This is great information. I guess the best thing is if people can share this exact type of experience but hopefully more up to date. But even with the dinosaur information, I thought to ask, how fast did you find that first job even in those tough times, and how fast did the second one come around? Appreciate the help.
I did one of those aviation college things but, since the industry was dead as a doornail, it was either getting a float rating or an instructor rating, both of which were not provided from the college. Went to work outside of aviation, got the instructor rating (which was not so long), and it took six months from finishing college, through the instructor rating, to get the first job.

Second job took 3 months to get. Third job took a year. Next job took 4 months, then spent 5 years in multi piston IFR charters (industry still in the dumps)

Dash 8 left seat at 28 years old as a direct entry. then first officer widebody after 4 years, then captain widebody after 4 years. Bear in mind though that there was alot of instability in the industry and bankruptcies were a commonplace occurence, so I went back to narrowbody, then an office job, then to corporate, then to narrowbody again, etc.........

Once again, dinosaur information, and as I hear, things are booming right now, so you won't go through the same thing. But, as I can see, right seat widebody or narrowbody won't happen oevernight, but it will take alot less time. Maybe 5 years?
Thanks again. Thia actually brings up my other question. By doing that aviation college thing, did it give you any advantage at all? I am currently finishing college, but not aviation related, more electrical eng. I was wondering how overall do companies look at these educations, who is given priority more. I know your situation was long time ago, so times have changed. Maybe someone else can add some advice here. Do companies look for University? College? Aviation College/Uni? Whos given priority? All these answers would help out a whole lot as well.
I guess that the extra qualifications that get attention are university, aviation college, college of any sort, and military, not necessarily in that order, since I know of people in all four categories that have had successes and also failures. Seems like a bit of a lottery to be honest, but I stress that it is only a personal impression. Having said that, I think that university tends to come out on top of the desirability by a little bit.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
dogga
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogga »

Good stuff but makes sense that university would come on top. Hopefully that wont be a strict requirement down the road. I always keep hearing that its useless pass first job really once experience is pocketed, any company puts that on top. Also from personal experience surrounded by people who finished college first, then held a job for some years reaching ceiling salary, only would go university if encouraged by current employer, or certain that next one will hire them with it. Seems those who get it before, do not always find it helping. But that is not in aviation, so hard to tell here.
But I wonder what do online Universities look like, those are very possible to finish, but would they add weight?
Any experience?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

dogga wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 pm Good stuff but makes sense that university would come on top. Hopefully that wont be a strict requirement down the road. I always keep hearing that its useless pass first job really once experience is pocketed, any company puts that on top. Also from personal experience surrounded by people who finished college first, then held a job for some years reaching ceiling salary, only would go university if encouraged by current employer, or certain that next one will hire them with it. Seems those who get it before, do not always find it helping. But that is not in aviation, so hard to tell here.
But I wonder what do online Universities look like, those are very possible to finish, but would they add weight?
Any experience?
I would say it's quite the opposite with regards to the university degree. No 704/704 ma and pa shop is going to give a crap if you have a degree. The only place in Canada it makes a huge difference is Air Canada.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

How about this?

Do the MIFR, apply for a 703 job and instead of sinking 7-10k on an instructor rating, use that to build up Night PIC.

Going for the deck at corner
dogga
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogga »

ant_321 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 am
dogga wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 pm Good stuff but makes sense that university would come on top. Hopefully that wont be a strict requirement down the road. I always keep hearing that its useless pass first job really once experience is pocketed, any company puts that on top. Also from personal experience surrounded by people who finished college first, then held a job for some years reaching ceiling salary, only would go university if encouraged by current employer, or certain that next one will hire them with it. Seems those who get it before, do not always find it helping. But that is not in aviation, so hard to tell here.
Any experience?
I would say it's quite the opposite with regards to the university degree. No 704/704 ma and pa shop is going to give a crap if you have a degree. The only place in Canada it makes a huge difference is Air Canada.
I know about that, I do like to look deep down the path, thinking if I ever will like to move up that ladder, would suck to go to University at 40 right. But then again I got no wish to jump now after finishing college, enough studies for me for now.
AuxBatOn wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 am How about this?

Do the MIFR, apply for a 703 job and instead of sinking 7-10k on an instructor rating, use that to build up Night PIC.
That sounds like what Id really want to do most. The question is who gets PIC faster? An instructor faster PIC but no Night and IFR? Same applies to any other single piston job without Instructor rating? VS MIFR 703 op gets PIC slower ( i undestand the left and right switch on each leg that true? ) but gets Night and IFR?
Please confirm then we can weigh that.

Return to “General Comments”