Didn't know Canso's have aft airstairs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Didn't know Canso's have aft airstairs

Post by pelmet »

Just like a 727. Don't see a DB Cooper switch though...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/w ... spartandhp
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Didn't know Canso's have aft airstairs

Post by PilotDAR »

Yup, one of the ones I worked on had the same airstair. It was very nice, though the boarding passenger would have a lot of stepping up and down, and ducking, to pass through the various compartments. For a fly in a PBY, probably worth it!

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Looks like that one has a canoe strapped to the right wing as well. There was one I saw each year had a couple of fishing boats winched up under the wing. Kinda like a fisherman's camper.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

CP operated a few Canso's after WW2, and all of them had the airstair door in the tunnel compartment, like that one. CP called 'em LandSeaAirs. There were a couple based on the West Coast and at least one in Quebec, in Val Dor, I believe. The one in the pic also has a diving platform below the LH blister. CP didn't change the engines, kept the Pratt 1830-92's, but the one in the pic looks to be an Air Yacht version, with a fishing dingy under the right wing. It may have had the Wright R2600 engines from the B-25. Miron Freres, a cement company from Montreal had one of those. It had a shower in the tower compartment, as I recall. Cat Driver will know more about 'em than I do.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Cat Driver will know more about 'em than I do.
Yes I flew quite a few of them and those doors were great for entry and exit.

Also it was very important to check that the airstair door was properly locked before landing in the water because if it was not it could come open during the landing and the airplane could sink.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”