Float endorsement

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Float endorsement

Post by Tinker »

I would like to spend a week in Florida this winter and while I'm there, I would like to make good use of my time.
I would like to get a float endorsement at Jack Browns.
Would all of it, or any portion of it be accepted by Transport Canada.
Or, would I have to do it all over again up here, to make it legal?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Scout44
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Float endorsement

Post by Scout44 »

I don't actually have a direct answer about flying in N-registered aircraft and using that time toward the issue of a licence or rating in Canada, so maybe someone with better info will chime in.

Having said that, if the scenario is you getting a float rating on your FAA licence and wanting to convert it to your CDN licence, I think the process is straight forward there.

If you have a CDN licence only, and you want that time in Florida to apply to an application for a CDN seaplane rating, that's going to be a problem I think. The CDN rating requires that you have PIC time as sole occupant in a seaplane, and you're not going to be able to fly an N-registered seaplane in the U.S. as PIC with only a CDN licence.

I stand to be corrected, but I think it's going to be difficult the way you've described it.

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Your hours will count but Scout44 is correct, you will not be able to meet all the requirements for the endorsement. In theory you could complete everything but the solo portion and then just do that part in Canada... The hard part will be finding someone willing to endorse you based on the few hours you did in Florida. The even harder part will be finding someone to let you go solo in their float plane without any time flying with them!

Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tinker »

I seem to remember that any Canadian Commercially rated pilot with a float endorsement, can teach me and give me a float rating.
Is that correct?
If so, could I use a Canadian plane and Canadian Commercial pilot if I could find such a thing in Florida?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The CDN rating requires that you have PIC time as sole occupant in a seaplane,
Yes for some weird reason T.C. requires five solo take offs and landings for the sea plane rating.

What I did was have them do five touch and goes in one straight line, all I had to do was make sure they had enough water in front of them for safety reasons.

So if done that way it does not add much time to the rating and meets the requirement.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Go and have a good time in Florida splashing. Upon your return to Canada, you'll be a bit more ready to go through the full float endorsement training with a Canadian provider. Unless you own a floatplane for your training, there is no combination of trainer and aircraft which will have you "finish" a float rating in Canada. The float rating is already so short on flying time, considering the skills one must master, and all the variables, that the added skills of your Florida splashing will make you a little more ready to master the skills during Canadian training.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What PilotDAR said is bang on.

And Jack Brown runs one of the best schools in the world.

And even more important you get to fly the best F'n little float plane in the world the J3 Cub. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tinker »

Just what I was looking for.
Thanks guys.

Return to “General Comments”