Whether to instruct or not?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tempforeignworker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Whether to instruct or not?

Post by Tempforeignworker »

I have my CPL and MIFR. I am considering doing an instructor rating, but am not sure if that is the way to go given the current state of the industry. Instructing is PIC time, quick ATPL requirements, but not operational experience and limited multi time. The regionals are looking for operational and multi time from what I am hearing. Alternatively, I don't want to get stuck on the ramp for a year or two and then sign a large bond to go command. My goal is to get to the airlines somewhat quickly as not to miss out on this current "hiring wave." I also don't want to buy block time since it's expensive and I'm not sure what value it adds, and may even be frowned upon. If I were to instruct I would do it for the right reasons since I get a kick out of teaching and getting people into flying. Thank you in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Whether to instruct or not?

Post by Cat Driver »

I don't want to get stuck on the ramp for a year or two and then sign a large bond to go command.
What is wrong with signing a bond to get a command position?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Seems to me like another entitled youngster. Do what you wish sir, remember there is competition out there. Your lack of "flexibility" may end up costing you down the road.

Anyway,

Good luck!

Das ist mir wurst...
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

But you’re not teaching for the right reasons. You’re just another guy looking to build PIC time in the circuit and get the hell out the second you get a call from a regional.

Even with the hiring boom right now, you still won’t get on it all you’ve got is 172 time.

Go up north for a couple years, get your time and valuable experience, THEN apply at an airline. Hate to tell you, but with a freshly CPL MIFR, you’re only about 20% of the way to an airline if that’s your end goal.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Tempforeignworker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 am I have my CPL and MIFR. I am considering doing an instructor rating, but am not sure if that is the way to go given the current state of the industry. Instructing is PIC time, quick ATPL requirements, but not operational experience and limited multi time. The regionals are looking for operational and multi time from what I am hearing. Alternatively, I don't want to get stuck on the ramp for a year or two and then sign a large bond to go command. My goal is to get to the airlines somewhat quickly as not to miss out on this current "hiring wave." I also don't want to buy block time since it's expensive and I'm not sure what value it adds, and may even be frowned upon. If I were to instruct I would do it for the right reasons since I get a kick out of teaching and getting people into flying. Thank you in advance.
"I don't want to instruct"
"I don't want to work on the ramp"
"I don't want to sign a bond"
"I don't want to buy block time" (to gain more experience)

----- I want an airline job. Quickly.

Gotcha. Nothing like modest expectations. Good luck though!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It's the end results of the welfare mentality that has given this generation the mistaken idea that society owes them what ever they want.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

There’s not really anyway to know what you want in aviation. You haven’t done anything, you haven’t got any experience. I use to be like you, wanting the airlines ASAP. But I did what I had to do, took the jobs and contracts I had to do, and now I’m not sure if I even want to go to the airlines. I’m captain on a twin turbine at a well known 703 making 80K as my first year. My schedule rocks, I’m home every night, and I get to actually hand fly the airplane everyday.

The point is, do what makes you happy. It’s a journey. There’s worse things that can happen then missing the current hiring wave.

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

So, TFW, aren't you glad you stopped by? :goodman:

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

Instruct, and be dedicated to your students. Don't be the crappy instructor who milks their students for hours. Build your hours to get a job flying multi engine turbine aircraft wherever you can get it. It takes time. Enjoy the process. GA flying is some of the funnest flying you'll ever do. After you get that airline gig, ten years into it you'll look back at your King Air or Pilatus days and remember the good times you had.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

One of my first jobs was instructing AND doing twin engine charter flying for the same operator.

I find it sad that instructing is sooo put down since, doing stalls and spins, getting a student to do a takeoff and landing and feel confident about themselves, teaching all of the subjects required for a pilot licence, etc....required more skill than just flying from point A to B and ohmygosh, doing an ifr approach at the end.

As much as I was happy to do my charters, I was equally happy to do the instruction bit, and instructing certainly took more of my abilites to perform than a straight taxi ride from one place to another in a twin engine airplane......

My instructor time paid off down the line with training and check pilot duties, even with my humble 1000 hours of ab initio, commercial, twin, and IFR instructing time.

Having said that, if you don't like instructing, don't do it. If you have no problems doing something other than flying in a straight line, then consider it

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

You pointed out something that few new pilots understand. Lots of instructor bashing regarding motoring around in the circuit as if that is all there is to it. But no mention of driving in a straight line from one airport to another, over and over, and over again.
The magenta line navigation, MFDs, and I pads have reduced much of line flying to frequency changing, and switch flicking..Systems managers.

Hope some of the newbies get the message..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Tempforeignworker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 am I have my CPL and MIFR. I am considering doing an instructor rating, but am not sure if that is the way to go given the current state of the industry. Instructing is PIC time, quick ATPL requirements, but not operational experience and limited multi time. The regionals are looking for operational and multi time from what I am hearing. Alternatively, I don't want to get stuck on the ramp for a year or two and then sign a large bond to go command. My goal is to get to the airlines somewhat quickly as not to miss out on this current "hiring wave." I also don't want to buy block time since it's expensive and I'm not sure what value it adds, and may even be frowned upon. If I were to instruct I would do it for the right reasons since I get a kick out of teaching and getting people into flying. Thank you in advance.
While all your conditions listed come from pure selfishness from your part, it somehow (by total luck I would say) fit the bill of somebody unwilling to whore himself out to get a foot into this pilot’s job market.

-Nothing wrong with not wanting to work on the ramp.
Just have to do a search in this forum on this particular topic and the next one, to realise that you are not the only one!

-Nothing wrong not wanting to sign a bond.
Bravo! Careful though, you still sound willing to do it.

-Nothing wrong not wanting to buy block time.
“Natural selection by wallet’s size versus talent” Who want to see that!?

-Nothing wrong not wanting to instruct.
Especially if you don’t have the vibe for it! But......
If I were to instruct I would do it for the right reasons since I get a kick out of teaching and getting people into flying.
You seems to do! So go for it duh!

Personally and since the early 90’s.
I never instructed, never worked on a ramp, never signed a bond, never bought “block time” And nobody ever b!ched on me for that. See the hypocrisy of some answers you got above!? :mrgreen:
That’s only because of this selfishness you showed right from the bat as not wanting to do your “due things” before getting on top of the ladder. No worries about being selfish, it is a common trait amongst a lot of pilots! Almost a requirement.

Don’t rush it, you will miss all the fun...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Please instruct IF you have a passion for teaching flying, and a measure of personal experience to supplement the basic flying skills you may have. We need instructors who can go the extra mile for their students, and pass along the meaningful "because's" of why we do, and do not do, things in planes.

If instructing were to be a stepping stone on the path to the first opportunity into right seat flying A to B, perhaps best (for the student) that you miss that step.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I started my 30 + years in the industry as an instructor. I don’t regret one minute of it and after 2.5 years of full time instructing I moved on to other kinds of commercial flying. I still keep my instructor qualifications up because I think they matter.

The bottom line is simple. It doesn’t matter whether you instruct for 1 year or 20, you can choose to be the best instructor you can possibly be, or you can warm the right seat and short change your students. You can take pride in your work or buy into the BS that instructing isn’t real flying.....it really is your choice.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Cat Driver wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 pm It's the end results of the welfare mentality that has given this generation the mistaken idea that society owes them what ever they want.
It's funny how your critic could be turned around and addressed at you.

You are probably old enough to have seen the national debt rise from zero to what it is right now while cashing very lucrative retirement checks on the back of the future generations.

Instead of pointing the finger at someone who's trying to make it in life, why don't you help him? Otherwise, we see how valuable your time is to waste your time and intimidate while feeling important.

#GrandFatherClause
#OrphanClause
#CreditCardSpendingOnTheBackOfTheFutureGenerations

:prayer:

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

TG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 am While all your conditions listed come from pure selfishness from your part, it somehow (by total luck I would say) fit the bill of somebody unwilling to whore himself out to get a foot into this pilot’s job market.
+1

Most of the critics comes from jealous people that would kill to have opportunities like we have today and still critisize us for having those opportunities.

My suggestion for the initial question would be the same as quoted above: be selfish, be bold and make moves that will make you feel happy and proud of yourself. There is nothing wrong from having a dream, and if for you it's the airlines, you need to find a spot on a right seat somewhere on a BE10 or PC12. This will give you quality time while gaining a ton of experience. For this, you might have to do some other work at the company (maybe administrative?). What do you have to offer in comparison to someone else in the same position as you? Go outside and have fun hunting for that first job and try to meet as many people as you can.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!

Return to “General Comments”