Career moves

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Career moves

Post by flyingcanuck »

Hello all,

As a relatively low experience guy I’m looking for advice on what I should do next. Under 1000 hrs with all the ATPL pic requirements done (instructing) and some MPIC and young.The question I’m asking myself is where to go next?

With so many options now I find it’s hard to say. What I want is a rewarding job where I can become a better pilot and also enjoy life outside flying. I’m interested in rotational gigs as I’d like to be able to be around family and have some free time.

Just looking for some advice on what they thought was a great experience in their careers.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Career moves

Post by Stan Darsh »

Off the dome, companies that offer rotation:
Voyageur
Wasaya
Keewatin
Thunder
PAL
North Star
First Air
Northway

Ornge and other medevac ops like Perimeter's also offer a rotational schedule. I work in Ontario so my knowledge of other operators is limited in scope. With your time a 703 PIC gig isn't out of the question in this hiring climate. The flying is fun (mostly) and a 1/2 week rotation means lots of time off for travelling or whatever. You'll have to relocate somewhere perhaps out of your comfort zone, though. Good luck.

Last edited by Stan Darsh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Realistically, you're probably not far off of working at a regional these days. Encore and Jazz are taking guys with close to your experience. Still, getting out of instructing and doing some real work in the north would be a good step. Talk to any airline guy and the jobs we enjoyed the most, have the fondest memories of are the ones working up in the arctic etc.
These days, more companies are offering rotational gigs. Look at the companies out of Yellowknife. I know just a while back, Summit was advertising a rotational Dornier position. I'm pretty sure I saw some Tindi postings a little further back as well. Keewatin was looking for king air guys, ...

Do a year or two of this before going to a regional. You won't regret it.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Thanks guys, does anyone know of any other ops to look into?

powder8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by powder8 »

I just turned 45 and have been flying for over 20 years. My best years we’re flying floats in the summer and skiing all winter long. I moved over to fly helicopters 10 years ago so I can keep taking winters off and ski. I don’t know why you guys are so excited to get on to bigger and “ better” equipment. Learn how to ski, take a year off and learn how to surf. Life will pass you by.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

powder8 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 pm I just turned 45 and have been flying for over 20 years. My best years we’re flying floats in the summer and skiing all winter long. I moved over to fly helicopters 10 years ago so I can keep taking winters off and ski. I don’t know why you guys are so excited to get on to bigger and “ better” equipment. Learn how to ski, take a year off and learn how to surf. Life will pass you by.
Now there is a man who gets the big picture. :wink:

If I could do it again, and if I had the choice, I would put the rat race behind me. :)

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Bronco Billy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bronco Billy »

Air Inuit also offers that kind of lifestyle with rotations on a 2 on 2 off timeframe.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Do whatever it takes to get to the airlines as fast as you can. Seniority (and money) is the most important thing and really, life is way to short as it is and varied life experience is way over rated. The sooner you get to sit there with the AP engaged, staring mindlessly out the window, the happier you will be.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Dreams vary person to person and they change in step with age and life circumstances. I chuckle when people claim to be looking to buy their 'forever home' when house shopping - what you want in a home when you're 20 will be very different from what you want when you're 30, 45 or 65. If i had it to do again, I would have gone North or South. Way North or South. With a camera and a journal.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

I went up North to fly a metro. But right now, if I were you, I'd probably go to PASCO. Live anywhere on their route network and they fly you confirmed.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 pm Dreams vary person to person and they change in step with age and life circumstances. I chuckle when people claim to be looking to buy their 'forever home' when house shopping - what you want in a home when you're 20 will be very different from what you want when you're 30, 45 or 65.

Yeah, I feel the same amusement when I hear people proclaiming their "forever love" for their new spouse at a wedding. 'Forever" is apparently a bit shorter for most people than I tend to define it. :mrgreen:

5x5 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:01 am Do whatever it takes to get to the airlines as fast as you can. Seniority (and money) is the most important thing and really, life is way to short as it is and varied life experience is way over rated. The sooner you get to sit there with the AP engaged, staring mindlessly out the window, the happier you will be.

I'm normally a big fan of good biting sarcasm, but perhaps using it to try and make a point about happiness is a bit misplaced? lol. I take it that a) you never made it to the airlines so must disparage them or b) did, and fail to find it fulfilling? Either way, sorry it didn't work out.

As far as having the "fondest memories" of working in the arctic or the other earlier jobs, why is it that no one ever goes back to them if they're so great? Could it be they were lacking in some way and time has embellished the actual desirability a bit? I'm grateful for having to hand-fly the first several thousand hours of my career but there's no way in hell I'd go back to it for my full-time occupation! :mrgreen:

Chase your bliss and all that, but try and remember that yours may not be the same as everyone else's no matter how you romanticize it...just enjoy every step along the way.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I would humbly suggest from my chair the clock is starting to tick on these good times, and if it was me getting established in a career, I'd think about grabbing a good long term chair while the grabbing is good. Think about the financial strength of the company you may choose for employment, and how they might whether the next economic downturn.

.....But carry on, I'm just a random internet troll. :mrgreen:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Don't worry about that dream job not being available.

There will always be a need for Ag. Pilots. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”