Hangar Tax Assessments CYYJ

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Hangar Tax Assessments CYYJ

Post by AirFrame »

No, sorry... Full up everywhere as far as i know.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

UPDATE: With COPA's assistance, the four hangars that pursued appeals at YYJ this year have won a reduction in their assessed values from BC Assessment. A more detailed story will come from COPA once some other appeals still in process are finished, but at YYJ the reductions returned values to modest increases over the 2017 assessment, and an understanding that future assessments will be done using the same method that was used to reach these values.

The hangar classification hasn't changed, they're still considered commercial, but the factors used to generate a price have been adjusted to account for limitations on access, use, facilities, etc. that other commercial properties don't have. Until such time as COPA can mount an appeal to change legislation to change classifications, this is about as good as it gets, I think.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

While that sounds like progress, I hate to say it but BC Assessment will just turn around a crank your assessments up again in the next year or so. This is a completely unaccountable agency, that cannot - I repeat, cannot justify in any way the methods they use to assess property or building values.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

7ECA wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:52 pm While that sounds like progress, I hate to say it but BC Assessment will just turn around a crank your assessments up again in the next year or so. This is a completely unaccountable agency, that cannot - I repeat, cannot justify in any way the methods they use to assess property or building values.
Actually, they can. They can value properties in a number of ways, from actual sales figures to the perceived commercial opportunity. In our case, we had actual sales figures, and had them adjust their commercial model to account for the restrictions present on a hangar that wouldn't apply to a commercial property off the airport.

We've been told that the same method used to re-evaluate for 2018 will be used to evaluate us in future, so we shouldn't see another big jump like we did this year. Time will tell.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Kejidog wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm Nobody cries for the rich.

But seriously the powers that be look at anyone with disposable income as a cash cow to milk dry. And they probably figure that if you own a hangar you’re loaded.

It is an all out class war on the middle classes.
I rent a hangar on the north side, fortunately my landlord hasn't raised my rent, but he told me about the assessments going up. Just because I own a plane doesn't mean I'm rich. I make a lot of sacrifices to own it, I work long hours, drive a $400 vehicle, I spent years building my own house to have a low mortgage payment. The govt knows the middle class will always pay taxes.

Return to “General Comments”