Are We Safe?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Are We Safe?

Post by HiFlyChick »

Kitzbuhel wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 pm man if you guys knew of the 400hr(TT) hornet pilots flying around, landing in Inuvik at night in IMC you'd have an aneurism... Or the 500hr QFIs in Moose Jaw.

Would I trust myself as a 200hr Cpl pilot flying in challenging conditions? Never. But I would trust a 200hr pilot in a right seat with a relatively experienced pilot. They won't have seen it all but generally speaking have as much of a interest in saving their own pink bodies as you all do.

Reading this was painful, get off your high horse
I get what you're saying, but truthfully, from a small 703 operator standpoint, when I was in a position of flying both single pilot and two crew, it was actually preferable to fly SPIFR than with a brand new low time F/O. In general, I found it much more work two crew in that case. I'm not saying that it's necessarily higher risk, but I suppose it depends on how bad the wx is and the experience of the PIC. In general, the amount of effort/experience req'd for the PIC in solid IFR is: (1) with an experienced F/O, (2) single pilot, (3) with a very inexperienced F/O

Everyone thinks that SPIFR is the hardest, but if the F/O is fresh out of school with no actual, they are also unlikely to have seen much turbulence (and obviously no icing since no actual), so on a really tough day, the PIC should have a higher experience level than just going SPIFR since it's almost like teaching
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Are We Safe?

Post by goingnowherefast »

Kitzbuhel wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 pm man if you guys knew of the 400hr(TT) hornet pilots flying around, landing in Inuvik at night in IMC you'd have an aneurism... Or the 500hr QFIs in Moose Jaw.
Military has much higher training standards, better support and is obviously a well very structured operation. Nobody is arguing the capabilities of military pilots.
Kitzbuhel wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 pm Would I trust myself as a 200hr Cpl pilot flying in challenging conditions? Never. But I would trust a 200hr pilot in a right seat with a relatively experienced pilot. They won't have seen it all but generally speaking have as much of a interest in saving their own pink bodies as you all do.
What happens when the "relatively experienced pilot" isn't all that experienced either? There are 800 hr Navajo captains with 200 hr FOs flying night IMC in icing.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”