What does a pilot look like?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: What does a pilot look like?

Post by lownslow »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 amI can't a imagine how you'd have to look to get the "you don't look the part" comment
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

lownslow wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:26 am
SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 amI can't a imagine how you'd have to look to get the "you don't look the part" comment

So he looked like a dash 8 pilot?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

That would get someone hired up north over tight jeans and big earrings (guy)

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Can you spot the movie pilot in this picture? Hint: Go by the shirt collar style.Image

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

URC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm "You don't really look like a pilot"

I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to say something like that in this day and age. Sounds like a complaint to the Humane Rights Commission or a lawsuit against the company.
Sorry, but on what grounds? It's only illegal if discriminatory based on prohibited grounds such as race, sex, religion, etc. If this was because the OP was black or wore a turban, than yes, but if that was true, he would have mentioned it.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Bede wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:20 am

I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to say something like that in this day and age. Sounds like a complaint to the Humane Rights Commission or a lawsuit against the company.
Sorry, but on what grounds? It's only illegal if discriminatory based on prohibited grounds such as race, sex, religion, etc. If this was because the OP was black or wore a turban, than yes, but if that was true, he would have mentioned it.

And even if they said that, then the company says they never said that and you're just man because you didn't get the job for XYZ valid reason, so unless it got caught on a legal recording or something, you can't prove Jack. And besides would you really want to work for that company anyways?

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to say something like that in this day and age. Sounds like a complaint to the Humane Rights Commission or a lawsuit against the company. Or at the least a "People That Don't Look Like Pilots Lives Matter" protest headlined on the CBC website. More context would be helpful.
This is such a sad comment because it could probably happen - somebody making an official complaint about something so trivial, I mean. People taking PC too far has done so much damage to the fight against racism, homophobia, chauvinism, etc because it masks the problem of real and offensive sentiments/statements in a sea of childish complaints. I do wish that people would look at in the intent and heart of statements and learn to laugh things off when appropriate....

(I once encountered two little old ladies in the terminal at Deer Lake as I was walking around in uniform waiting for my (charter) pax. Their eyes went wide and they asked, "Are you you really a pilot?" When I smiled and told them I was they both looked so excited and said "Oh! We've never seen a woman pilot before!" It was cute how excited they were - I'd like to think that they were happy to see that young women could now be anything they wanted to be, and not be restricted to marrying or taking a few select "women-appropriate" jobs like they would have been restricted to when they were young.)

But I digress....

DUDE, WHAT WERE YOU WEARING?! :)

Aluminium Overcast
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aluminium Overcast »

Hey there, thank you so much for the feedback, and some very hilarious pictures! I was wearing a collared shirt and jeans, age late 20's. The CP had slacks and a white shirt/ tie so I immediately knew I was underdressed. Live and learn. Also the guy meant nothing by it I'm sure, I thought it was pretty hilarious.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Aluminium Overcast wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:54 pm Hey there, thank you so much for the feedback, and some very hilarious pictures! I was wearing a collared shirt and jeans, age late 20's. The CP had slacks and a white shirt/ tie so I immediately knew I was underdressed. Live and learn. Also the guy meant nothing by it I'm sure, I thought it was pretty hilarious.
Funny - you sound like exactly what I think a pilot looks like.... maybe you didn't swagger enough ;)

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Big clock, small cock and no money!...at least that's what the legend Bruce Cornock always said! :lol:

Keep the dirty side down.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Thinking about a guy I knew who could not give a ?&*% about anything or anybody 40 years ago. Got hired by a rather large, no the largest, carrier in canada and is now a 777 captain.

Look for the types that seem to walk on water, that is what they look like................

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

EPR wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 pm Big clock, small cock and no money!...at least that's what the legend Bruce Cornock always said! :lol:
Corncob said a lot of things. Mostly hilarious. You wanna know what a pilot looks like? Bruce. He looks like Bruce.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”