What does a pilot look like?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Aluminium Overcast
Rank 0
Rank 0

What does a pilot look like?

Post by Aluminium Overcast »

Hey guys, low-timer here. So recently I was fortunate enough to land a few pipeline patrol interviews. It was great to even get the opportunity as I am coming from another industry and still feel a career in aviation to be a dream job. Unfortunately I didn't get the job but will certainly keep on trying! One comment in an interview I thought would be interesting to share was "You don't really look like a pilot". Now I didn't go to these Interviews in a suit, just casual wear... maybe I should have? Regardless I thought this might get some pretty funny feedback.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What does a pilot look like?

Post by Bede »

My rule of thumb is figure out what the chief pilot wear's and go one step up. If he's a jeans/tshirt guy, wear khakis and a nice shirt. If he's a shirt and tie guy, wear a suit.

Independence
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Independence »

I would say look like someone who can take one of their assets and bring in back safely every time. Who they hire has the ability to bankrupt their company if they have a nasty crash. Look like someone who any person would be comfortable putting their family in a small plane with. I'm not suggesting you are anyone other than this.

Hiring a pilot in the 703 world is exposing the company to someone who can do a lot more harm than a new lube guy at Speedi-Lube. I look for someone who holds themselves to a standard, who has some pride and confidence in their abilities etc. They could 'look' many different ways but they need to 'look' like they are serious about this.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

From a joke I once heard - big watch, small d--k, and his breath smelt like peanuts!

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

You can never overdress for an interview.
The worst case is they might have a chuckle but won't lose any respect for you. However if you show up underdressed then you'll be assessed as such. Easy decision which side to lean toward.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

A flashy designer suit when approaching the boss loading barrels on a dock might be overkill. But in pretty much every other situation, dress pants, shirt, shoes, and tie are absolutely mandatory. Doesn't matter what the CP is wearing, what YOU wear shows respect. Should go without saying, but obviously everything immaculate, pressed, and hair cut. Again, all about respect. It's got nothing to do with the position applied for. Or limited to aviation, actually!

And talk to a woman who's taste you trust for style advice! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I would say look like someone who can take one of their assets and bring in back safely every time. Who they hire has the ability to bankrupt their company if they have a nasty crash. Look like someone who any person would be comfortable putting their family in a small plane with. I'm not suggesting you are anyone other than this.

Hiring a pilot in the 703 world is exposing the company to someone who can do a lot more harm than a new lube guy at Speedi-Lube. I look for someone who holds themselves to a standard, who has some pride and confidence in their abilities etc. They could 'look' many different ways but they need to 'look' like they are serious about this.
I like this.

Respect your appearance as you would respect the company clients and equipment. That is not intended to mean over dressed, just wear what you wear with pride and care.

I have never applied for a job, the jobs just seemed to find me. My first airline job (not in a pilot capacity) found me, because the boss (who owned the airline) found me scrubbing out the hold of one of his 707's on my, and the plane's, day off. I was a filthy mess, having no intention of crossing paths with the boss. What I learned was that he had jobs he needed done, and I was accidentally doing one which no one else would. He liked that, and I was hired to a respectable management position. I was never asked to scrub a hold, I guess someone else was assigned. I admit that much later in my career there, I was caught underdressed (no tie and jacket riding on one of our flights), I was told, and I learned. But, the learn was to dress appropriately for the task. If you're afraid to check the oil because you don't want to dirty your white shirt, you're not going to be respected as a new pilot. When you apply, dress as though you would do the job you're applying for if you were hired at that moment. Why would you dress for a job for which you are not applying?

Be yourself. Don't try to impress, particularly by pretending something, or lying. If you don't know, admit it. If you know, say so, but don't gush. Forget the big pilot watch, Ray Bans, or epaulets, they don't really impress.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:05 am You can never overdress for an interview.
The worst case is they might have a chuckle but won't lose any respect for you. However if you show up underdressed then you'll be assessed as such. Easy decision which side to lean toward.
For 703 ops this is absolutely wrong. You can most definitely overdress. Like it or not, but stereotypes are very present in the minds of 703 operators (is this a stereotype in itself?). Even though things are changing, a lot of 703 ops still see themselves as a bush operation looking for bush pilots that know how to survive in the wild and take care of the plane. They don't like "city folk".

So if you show up there in a nice suit and tie (implying you don't want to get your hands dirty) in ankle socks while it's freezing outside (not dressing appropriately) with more product in your hair than the boss's wife has in hers (caring too much about appearances), while there are 5 other candidates dressed appropriately for the job, then you will not get hired.

For 703 ops, show up in clothes you can start working in right away.

Made it to the left seat of 704 without wearing a tie for interviews soo far. To get a 703 job it will work against you. To move up in the world, nowadays nobody cares about a suit/tie, as long as you can show you can fly at least a little bit.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

mmm..bacon wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 am From a joke I once heard - big watch, small d--k, and his breath smelt like peanuts!
Priceless!
Bwahahahahaha

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

In the immortal words of Joe Jack Talcum:

My baby's got two hands
My baby's got two feet
My baby's got a forehead
And all the chicken you can eat
My baby's got two elbows
My baby sure has a nose
My baby she's got ten toes
And my baby's got a couple a' those
My baby drives a truck
My baby sure is good luck
My baby has a pet duck
And my baby is a heck of a Fffff-riend

In other words, this is what a pilot looks like.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 am And talk to a woman who's taste you trust for style advice!
That.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

digits_ wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 am
DanWEC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:05 am You can never overdress for an interview.
For 703 ops this is absolutely wrong. You can most definitely overdress. Like it or not, but stereotypes are very present in the minds of 703 operators (is this a stereotype in itself?). Even though things are changing, a lot of 703 ops still see themselves as a bush operation looking for bush pilots that know how to survive in the wild and take care of the plane. They don't like "city folk".

So if you show up there in a nice suit and tie (implying you don't want to get your hands dirty) in ankle socks while it's freezing outside (not dressing appropriately) with more product in your hair than the boss's wife has in hers (caring too much about appearances), while there are 5 other candidates dressed appropriately for the job, then you will not get hired.

Made it to the left seat of 704 without wearing a tie for interviews soo far. To get a 703 job it will work against you. To move up in the world, nowadays nobody cares about a suit/tie, as long as you can show you can fly at least a little bit.
Sorry, but I disagree with this being wrong for 703 ops (at least in so far as 703 ops cover a lot of ground) - the original quote was on the right track. While I will concede that you maybe can overdress if you wear a suit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a collared shirt and tie. If you want to "look like a pilot", wear a nice leather jacket instead of a suit coat (if you have one - don't waste the money on buying one if you don't). Just because 703 ops may include bush flying doesn't mean that they also don't include meeting the customers. A lot of 703 operators are flying charters with pax, and looking well groomed and professionally dressed is a must. If you're going to be wearing a flight suit or loading cargo, they'll let you know (or maybe provide you with one), but until you're flying that flight, dress like a professional.

Wearing a suit and tie most certainly does not imply that you don't want to get your hands dirty, it implies respect for the interview, the interviewer and the company. I do agree with the too much product notion, but that's because my personal pet peeve is wearing scented products. Please, please, PLEASE, do not wear cologne, aftershave, or other scented products to either an interview or in the cockpit. Maybe your co-pilot doesn't get congested by what you're wearing, like I do, or maybe they do, but I can tell you it's really uncomfortable to be trapped in a small space with a person who's "scent aura" is causing you to have to blow your nose and clear the phlegm from your throat between radio calls.

"To move up in the world, nowadays nobody cares about a suit/tie, as long as you can show you can fly at least a little bit."
Actually, somebody showing up to an interview dressed like a slob with their resume in hand tells me that they think that they're such an awesome pilot that they don't even need to try....
(and for heavens sake, learn how to tie a necktie, don't wear a clip-on - you're not 12!)

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Aluminium Overcast wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 pm ... One comment in an interview I thought would be interesting to share was "You don't really look like a pilot". Now I didn't go to these Interviews in a suit, just casual wear... maybe I should have?...
What exactly were you wearing? And the other thing I was wondering, how old are you - that may have been it...?
Not trying to be insulting, just curious - I'm a middle-aged woman so I'm pretty much the epitome of "not looking like a pilot"

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

HiFlyChick wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm Wearing a suit and tie most certainly does not imply that you don't want to get your hands dirty, it implies respect for the interview, the interviewer and the company. I do agree with the too much product notion, but that's because my personal pet peeve is wearing scented products. Please, please, PLEASE, do not wear cologne, aftershave, or other scented products to either an interview or in the cockpit. Maybe your co-pilot doesn't get congested by what you're wearing, like I do, or maybe they do, but I can tell you it's really uncomfortable to be trapped in a small space with a person who's "scent aura" is causing you to have to blow your nose and clear the phlegm from your throat between radio calls.
And that...
HiFlyChick wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm Actually, somebody showing up to an interview dressed like a slob with their resume in hand tells me that they think that they're such an awesome pilot that they don't even need to try....
And that...
HiFlyChick wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm (and for heavens sake, learn how to tie a necktie, don't wear a clip-on - you're not 12!)
And that!

In other words;
complexintentions wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 am And talk to a woman who's taste you trust for style advice!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

HiFlyChick wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 am

Sorry, but I disagree with this being wrong for 703 ops (at least in so far as 703 ops cover a lot of ground) - the original quote was on the right track. While I will concede that you maybe can overdress if you wear a suit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a collared shirt and tie. If you want to "look like a pilot", wear a nice leather jacket instead of a suit coat (if you have one - don't waste the money on buying one if you don't). Just because 703 ops may include bush flying doesn't mean that they also don't include meeting the customers. A lot of 703 operators are flying charters with pax, and looking well groomed and professionally dressed is a must. If you're going to be wearing a flight suit or loading cargo, they'll let you know (or maybe provide you with one), but until you're flying that flight, dress like a professional.

Wearing a suit and tie most certainly does not imply that you don't want to get your hands dirty, it implies respect for the interview, the interviewer and the company. I do agree with the too much product notion, but that's because my personal pet peeve is wearing scented products. Please, please, PLEASE, do not wear cologne, aftershave, or other scented products to either an interview or in the cockpit. Maybe your co-pilot doesn't get congested by what you're wearing, like I do, or maybe they do, but I can tell you it's really uncomfortable to be trapped in a small space with a person who's "scent aura" is causing you to have to blow your nose and clear the phlegm from your throat between radio calls.

"To move up in the world, nowadays nobody cares about a suit/tie, as long as you can show you can fly at least a little bit."
Actually, somebody showing up to an interview dressed like a slob with their resume in hand tells me that they think that they're such an awesome pilot that they don't even need to try....
(and for heavens sake, learn how to tie a necktie, don't wear a clip-on - you're not 12!)
I'm not advocating showing up dressed as a slob. Be clean, no holes in your pants or shirts and you should be good. I am talking about 703 operators away from big cities, up north, in remote places etc. I highly doubt anyone who shows up in a suit in those places gets hired. I'd be really surprised...

Wear what the other pilots are wearing. If you'll get a uniform, wear what the chief pilot is wearing. No need to over dress.

I've also seen people show up on tests in a wife beater and slippers. That might have been a slightly underdressed look :mrgreen: :rolleyes:

Last edited by digits_ on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

"You don't really look like a pilot"

I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to say something like that in this day and age. Sounds like a complaint to the Humane Rights Commission or a lawsuit against the company. Or at the least a "People That Don't Look Like Pilots Lives Matter" protest headlined on the CBC website. More context would be helpful.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I prefer Thomas Hobbes' definition: "Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short"

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Conversely, if you want to get fired, send an email to HR inquiring where you can find details on the company's whistle-blower policy.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Bede wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 pm My rule of thumb is figure out what the chief pilot wear's and go one step up. If he's a jeans/tshirt guy, wear khakis and a nice shirt. If he's a shirt and tie guy, wear a suit.

That.

Also what was the OP wearing, I can't a imagine how you'd have to look to get the "you don't look the part" comment

Return to “General Comments”