Ferry Pilot Inquiry

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ferry Pilot Inquiry

Post by CrackerJ99 »

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for ferry pilots.

Piper Arrow II

Ottawa area to Pincher Creek (CZPC)

Thanks
Jordy Metheral
---------- ADS -----------

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ferry Pilot Inquiry

Post by redlaser »

Call the Ottawa flight school, they have lots of pilots for small aircraft,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

Awesome, will give them a call, thank you

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

pm sent

CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

Just to add more information.

I am currently just in the process of purchasing this aircraft.

So I may not actually need this service if the deal falls through.

So the intent of this thread is just to get some information in the chance that I will need it shortly.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

If there's any way you could take some vacation time and fly it yourself you should consider totally consider it. If you don't have enough experience to feel comfortable with that, see if you can find a more experienced pilot to come along with you. I've done a few really long cross countries over the years in light aircraft and it's some of the funnest flying ever...

CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

I haven't ruled out flying it back myself, but with my work schedule it will make it a bit tough if I run into weather delays.

As for vacation, I already have it booked for future flights this year, haha.

That being said, if the stars aligned and I am able to get a couple clear days across Canada I will probably go for it.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I hope it works out for you, but you're right - a wx delay and your work schedule could suffer! You might be lucky with a few cold clear days in a row, just make sure that whomever you have with you can continue on their own if you have to bug out by rental car to get home to work :)

Be sure and take pics and post them here!

CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

If I end up getting lucky to get some nice weather I will definitely take a bunch of pictures and post them on here.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

HiFlyChick wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:09 pm If there's any way you could take some vacation time and fly it yourself you should consider totally consider it. If you don't have enough experience to feel comfortable with that, see if you can find a more experienced pilot to come along with you. I've done a few really long cross countries over the years in light aircraft and it's some of the funnest flying ever...
Absolutely the correct advice!
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

Just an update.

It is looking like the plane will be ready to move from Oshawa airport to Lethbridge Airport on Jan 19th or 20.

So if anyone has a ferry pilot recommendation in the Toronto area that would be great.

I am looking for someone that is type rated on the Piper Arrow.

There is a small chance I may be able to ride along so anyone that is able to sign off my 10 hr dual insurance requirement would be great

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Almost every airplane pilot in Canada holds the type rating required to fly a Piper Arrow.

The flight from Oshawa to Lethbridge is going to be, er, interesting, in January weather!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

I thought with the piper having the constant speed prop and retractable landing gear a special type rating would be required.

As for the flight in January, it's a good chance I won't see the plane for some time haha.

You never know though, might get a couple days of clear weather

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CrackerJ99 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:45 pm I thought with the piper having the constant speed prop and retractable landing gear a special type rating would be required.
Not in Canada.

You will want to check with your insurance company what their requirements are though.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CrackerJ99 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm Just an update.

It is looking like the plane will be ready to move from Oshawa airport to Lethbridge Airport on Jan 19th or 20.

So if anyone has a ferry pilot recommendation in the Toronto area that would be great.

I am looking for someone that is type rated on the Piper Arrow.

There is a small chance I may be able to ride along so anyone that is able to sign off my 10 hr dual insurance requirement would be great
Consider getting Eapis and doing the trip through the US. I have done this exact flight and a lot more options that route in case of weather

CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

I do have Eapis, I didn't even look at the option. Definetly something to consider.

As for insurance, they would like me to get 10 hours dual.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

CrackerJ99 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 pm I do have Eapis, I didn't even look at the option. Definetly something to consider.

As for insurance, they would like me to get 10 hours dual.
THAT is precisely why you need to do this flight. A local friend did the reverse and flew commercial out to BC to get his 182 T/RG and flew it back here to Ontario, and as it so happened he found an Instructor out there to help him out. Done.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Actually I meant check your insurance company's requirements for whoever is going to ferry the airplane for you.

It would certainly be sensible to consider going through the US, but it's still going to be an interesting trip in January. And there's nothing wrong with collecting 10 hours dual on the trip, but at the end of it you'll have had a lot of practice at straight and level flight, especially if there's no autopilot, and only three landings. Flying 1500nm from A to B isn't necessarily the best opportunity to get the feel of a new aircraft type.

My preference would be to wait for warmer weather, get 10 hours in the aircraft around the GTA, then fly it back on your own. You'll learn a lot more that way.

That also means you get to shake out the first few squawks around Toronto, where there are about a zillion AMEs and maintenance shops (including 4 at Oshawa alone) rather than have it strand you and your expensive ferry pilot in Buttfuck Manitoba in January for a week waiting for Piper to ship you a new recirculating sparge pump.

CrackerJ99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CrackerJ99 »

Great advice,

Even if I did fulfill my hours on the cross country I would still get some extra training from a guy at home.

Due to some life events, I will need to have the airplane delivered a little bit sooner then spring/summer. Hence why it will probably just be a ferry pilot that brings it out to me.

The airplane is flown regularly, just annualled, plus having a prepurchase inspection done. So I am hoping this will find any snags or issues that may arise on trip out west.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

pm sent

Return to “General Comments”