Trump Takes Credit for Aviation's Safest Year

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Trump Takes Credit for Aviation's Safest Year

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

"Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!"

:smt017 :smt017 :smt017 Can someone a little more educated than I, explain what he did?
https://www.flyingmag.com/trump-takes-c ... afest-year

We've upped our safety standards, so UP YOURS too!
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Trump Takes Credit for Aviation's Safest Year

Post by pelmet »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:08 pm "Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!"

:smt017 :smt017 :smt017 Can someone a little more educated than I, explain what he did?
Simply by becoming the president made it the safest year. He's that good.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:08 pm "Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!"

We've upped our safety standards, so UP YOURS too!
Uhhhh..., isn't he also railing on about how the industry (amongst others) is over regulated? And how further comprehensive, and far reaching deregulation will be better for business? :rolleyes:

NobodyCares
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NobodyCares »

In the famous words of Kim Jong Un..... DOTARD!!!

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Trump: “This year has been the safest year in aviation thanks to me privatizating ATC and the FAA”

Aide: “<whispers> Uh.... sir.... ATC and the FAA are still run by the government.”

Trump: “By fighting AGAINST the privatization of ATC and the FAA like lying Hillary wanted to do!”

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Are you kidding? This government has performed miracles for the aviation industry as well like reducing foreign ownership rules, a passenger bill of rights, passing sub standard flight and duty time regulations and studying random drug and alhohol testing to save Canadians from drunk pilots! :weedman:

Insert massive dose of sarcasm......

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Tweeting from the hip again, as usual!
Meanwhile, back in the adults room, a guy who actually knows about airline safety (Sullenberger,) has this to say:

"We experienced the safest year on record for airline travel in 2017. This was the result of decades of acting on important lessons learned at great cost, literally bought with blood, that we dare not forget and have to relearn. For years we have been making important investments in safety, and those investments have paid off by saving countless lives. But the remarkable safety record achieved in 2017 was also due in part to chance. Unless we continue to act, make safety investments, and proactively mitigate risks, we should not expect that we will see the next few years be as safe as last year.

Yet the current administration insists on rolling back large numbers of regulations, and they’re pushing hard to lower training requirements for pilots just starting out. Nearly every rule, every procedure put into place in the aviation industry over the last several decades was the result of an investigation into an accident that usually resulted in blood shed and lives lost. By acting on what we have learned, we have codified best practices and required them for everyone who flies. There has not been a fatal accident on a major U.S. airline in over 16 years. We dare not allow critical standards to be eroded, and pay the price in more lives lost. Rolling the dice, hoping you can continue to be lucky, is not an effective safety strategy and does not honor the people who paid the ultimate price for us to learn how to make flying safer.

This administration has said they want to roll back regulation to that of 1960. But no one should want to go to back to the level of fatal airline accidents of 1960, a year in which there were 90 air carrier accidents, 17 of them fatal, resulting in 499 fatalities. Nor should they want to go back to the 1960 level of fatal automobile crashes, or the level of deaths from foodborne illnesses, or of high levels of air and water pollution. There are hundreds of thousands of people alive today who would not be if we had not acted on what we’ve learned and improved safety across industries. Some of them might be your mother, your father, your brother or sister – your daughter or son, your husband or your wife. Why would we choose not to act on what we have learned in the last half century that has allowed us to save these lives? Why would we turn back the clock to the bad old days of way too many preventable injuries and deaths?"

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

FOD wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 am Haha, up your standards...

Meanwhile, back in Canuckistan, our capable government (in 2016) oversaw the failure of an ICAO security audit and landed Canada on a list of countries that have deficiencies in their security protocols, the only other nation on this list... Sao Tome and Principe. To this date, still no rectification of the audit failure.

Careful about your criticisms, the US isn't the only country in North America led by a totally unqualified 'dotard'.

FOD
I did some searching and couldn't find any information about that. I think it might be fake news.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

FOD wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 am Careful about your criticisms, the US isn't the only country in North America led by a totally unqualified 'dotard'.

FOD
A Dotard that is getting rid of a decade of lazy complacency under the Harper government, as monitoring and enforcement have all been increased. Just look at the difference in reactions between the First Air and West Wind crashes.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

If you take them as two different statements:
"Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation.
Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!"
I mean they're not wrong, are they? My counterpoint is that maybe we could all take a lesson in personal PR from these guys who do the same to get ahead.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well the first statement is completely false, Trump has done nothing with commercial aviation and when he does it will be eliminating many of those expensive business destroying safety regulations. As for PR and successful human existence in general, at some point truth has to be part of the equation and it just isn't with him...ever.

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

Zaibatsu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:17 am A Dotard that is getting rid of a decade of lazy complacency under the Harper government, as monitoring and enforcement have all been increased. Just look at the difference in reactions between the First Air and West Wind crashes.
I'm going to need you to go ahead and cite some specific examples of what you are talking about. Being 2 completely different incidents, would not both be handled differently... in fact, all incidences handled differently or is there a formula that must be followed in all cases?

Return to “General Comments”