What kind of flying does Jazz do out of Montreal?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nwopilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

What kind of flying does Jazz do out of Montreal?

Post by nwopilot »

Hello!

I am curious about Jazz’s Montreal base. I used the search function for about 40 minutes, and I couldn't find any great answers to the following questions about the YUL base:

1. Where does the classic dash operate?
2. How long are the pairings? Any examples of pairings?
3. Is it difficult to fly the classic dash out of montreal if you do not speak french?

I have the same questions for the Q and RJ.

4. Aside from being unable to speak french, why are so many people leaving the Montreal base? I have had a chance to browse Kijij, and it seems like Montreal is the cheapest Jazz base to live at. It looks like a junior Jazz captain could have a good life there. What drives people out of Montreal?
---------- ADS -----------

402_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What kind of flying does Jazz do out of Montreal?

Post by 402_pilot »

To answer # 4, quite simply because most of the hiring last year was in YUL and most of the hired are not from YUL, so lots of people just trying to get back home.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Classic dash does the more north and eastern places like Bagotville, Val Dor, Sept Iles, Gaspe, Baie Comeau etc. 1-4 day pairings. I did a lot of flying out of there and spoke zero French. 99% of the crews don't care and were nice. You get a little more attitude in some of the more remote places on layovers but no big deal.

Let’s Go Brandon
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Hardest part of not speaking French in some of the places the classic overnights is trying to order food from a restaurant. As said above most crews don't care, I'm sure if they had the choice they'd rather be speaking French but no one will give you a hard time about it. Classic overnights in bagottville, Sept Iles, wabush, rouyn noranda, Iles de la Madeleine, Sydney NS, some overnights in various NB cities too. Q does a lot of YUL-YTZ runs. You can do a 4 day pairing and that's all you do each day, also does a lot of East coast flying. RJ does a lot of shorter US routes from YUL; DCA, BOS, PHL, LGA and plenty of east coast flying as well. Not sure how often the YUL RJ crews get out west to do the San Diego an Houston stuff.

Return to “General Comments”