45 yr old and want to de a career in aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eric537
Rank 0
Rank 0

45 yr old and want to de a career in aviation

Post by Eric537 »

I am a military guy that want to make a change in career and jump into aviation. Is it doable or I am too old. I am not aiming for the airline big company but a company that would provide me a decent salary. I live in Quebec city.

Thanks for you comments
---------- ADS -----------

chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 45 yr old and want to de a career in aviation

Post by chris_h1976 »

Hey Eric, I am in the same boat (but 42) and seriously considering leaving the military after 20 years to start over in aviation. I will definitely be watching this post to hopefully see some helpful advice. Good luck!

Chris

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

You guys are definitely not too old even if you did want to go to a major airline.

I can tell you, from first hand observation, that the smaller companies LOVE getting older applicants with the hopes they won't jump ship for an airline. And I am not referring the the companies that provide less than favourable work conditions, I am talking about places like Porter, Sky Regional, Pasco, MorningStar, etc etc. These companies can provide and excellent future for people like you and a rewarding career.

The only thing I would caution you is this;

There is a sever shortage of pilots in Canada (and the world) but that does NOT include the 250 hour pilot-that experience level is still in low demand. Therefore, realize that you will have to get yourself above that experience level to be able to compete for the better jobs.

My personal advice (from a 49 year old) is do not hesitate and don't delay......no one knows how long the boom in aviation will last.

Best of luck!

wordswtwice

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

wordstwice wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm You guys are definitely not too old even if you did want to go to a major airline.

I can tell you, from first hand observation, that the smaller companies LOVE getting older applicants with the hopes they won't jump ship for an airline. And I am not referring the the companies that provide less than favourable work conditions, I am talking about places like Porter, Sky Regional, Pasco, MorningStar, etc etc. These companies can provide and excellent future for people like you and a rewarding career.

There is a sever shortage of pilots in Canada (and the world) but that does NOT include the 250 hour pilot-that experience level is still in low demand. Therefore, realize that you will have to get yourself above that experience level to be able to compete for the better jobs.

My personal advice (from a 49 year old) is do not hesitate and don't delay......no one knows how long the boom in aviation will last.

Best of luck!

wordswtwice
+1. Definitely not too late. If you can get yourself to 500 hours, you'll be able to find a job in this industry.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

As long as you can pass the medical to fly commercially you are only as old as you want to be.

chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chris_h1976 »

Thanks so much for those replies guys! It's refreshing to hear some positive news like that, as reading a lot of older posts and different forums, all the advice is doom and gloom. Much appreciated!

My plan (if I do in fact follow through) is do an IATP program followed by instructor rating, and hopefully get a job instructing to build hours. From all the research I've done in the last while, this seems like the best and shortest route to building the hours.

Any other advice for someone thinking about breaking into the industry is much appreciated. Thanks again!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Same boat here, love flying but not sure I want to work lower paying jobs for a few years to get to where I need to be.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

wordstwice wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm You guys are definitely not too old even if you did want to go to a major airline.

Best of luck!

wordswtwice
Really! You think Porter would hire someone in their 40's or 50's ? I'd love to hang up my hat and retire at Porter and I'm an older guy myself. So there is hope for places like Porter for the old guy.
If I have an opportunity to get in with Porter I wouldn't go anywhere else and be happy flying a dash 8 . I wouldn't jump the ship as they say.

42 and 45 is not old go for it, we only live once.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Without a doubt Porter would hire someone in their 50’s. As long as you meet their qualifications and are a good fit for them.

I’ve seen it first hand, don’t let your age deter you!

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

wordstwice wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 pm Without a doubt Porter would hire someone in their 50’s. As long as you meet their qualifications and are a good fit for them.

I’ve seen it first hand, don’t let your age deter you!
They're advertising for 1000 hours but we would look at you with less time if you had other qualifications , I'm wondering if they hired someone less than 1000 hours that brought other life and work experience?
Thanks

Sneeker
Rank 1
Rank 1
Location: I come from the Land of the Ice and Snow from the Midnight sun where the hot springs blow

Post by Sneeker »

It is very doable. You will have to work your ass off and be open to taking shit from younger guys that think they know everything about life and actually know more about aviation then you currently do. Hard work and keeping it humble goes a long way in the industry. Good luck and have fun.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Why not change to aviation IN the military?

Going for the deck at corner
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

JasonE wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm Same boat here, love flying but not sure I want to work lower paying jobs for a few years to get to where I need to be.
This. I'm well over 500 hours, but going back to a $35K salary at 46 just wouldn't be possible.

MD2009
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MD2009 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:01 pm Why not change to aviation IN the military?
Hi AuxBatOn - just curious, how many pilot trainees north of 40 have you seen move through the military pipeline? Is the fighter stream within reach for the more 'experienced' trainees?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

AirFrame wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am
JasonE wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm Same boat here, love flying but not sure I want to work lower paying jobs for a few years to get to where I need to be.
This. I'm well over 500 hours, but going back to a $35K salary at 46 just wouldn't be possible.

I agree but if we don't it for a short time we'll never get to that next higher scale. I don't like the 35k either but I can't think of any other way.
I'm not saying I'm going to do it for 35k like you said but it's either or be where you are forever.
We can instruct and be home every night, frustrating.
I also love to teach so there is lots of shit we have to consider.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

MD2009 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:52 am
AuxBatOn wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:01 pm Why not change to aviation IN the military?
Hi AuxBatOn - just curious, how many pilot trainees north of 40 have you seen move through the military pipeline? Is the fighter stream within reach for the more 'experienced' trainees?
I've seen people go through in their late 30s/early 40s. Less so on the fighter side but definately on the Multi/Helo side.

It's worth thinking about. Free training, good salary from the get go and you stay in the military (and accumulate pensionable time). It also comes with all the negatives of the military but I don't think it's worse than starting in civilian aviation.

Going for the deck at corner
chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chris_h1976 »

Sneeker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:27 am It is very doable. You will have to work your ass off and be open to taking shit from younger guys that think they know everything about life and actually know more about aviation then you currently do. Hard work and keeping it humble goes a long way in the industry. Good luck and have fun.
This- not a problem. 20 years in the Army, definitely not afraid of hard work, and I've had to work with all sorts! Thanks!
AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 pm
MD2009 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:52 am
I've seen people go through in their late 30s/early 40s. Less so on the fighter side but definately on the Multi/Helo side.

It's worth thinking about. Free training, good salary from the get go and you stay in the military (and accumulate pensionable time). It also comes with all the negatives of the military but I don't think it's worse than starting in civilian aviation.
AuxBatOn, I looked into it a few years ago. As you can imagine, it's a very competitive process, and without a university degree or at least a bunch of credits, it would be virtually impossible- for me at least. If a person already had a degree and second language profile, it may be possible. Thanks for the suggestion though.
7507 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 am
AirFrame wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

I agree but if we don't it for a short time we'll never get to that next higher scale. I don't like the 35k either but I can't think of any other way.
I'm not saying I'm going to do it for 35k like you said but it's either or be where you are forever.
We can instruct and be home every night, frustrating.
I also love to teach so there is lots of shit we have to consider.
7507-well said!
Personally I'm actually in a pretty good position- although making half my current salary does not sound too appealing, I have no children, no mortgage, no debts. I have a very supportive wife (who will work to help make ends meet) and a dog! What more could I ask for?

I also love to teach, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Bottom line, you said it perfectly- it's either that, or be where you are forever. Although I don't regret my time in the military, it has been long enough and every year that goes by, I realize it more, as well as how short life is. That used to be just a cliché that old dudes used to say- but now it really has a lot of meaning for me.

Best of luck to all you guys too!

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

A very good friend of mine, quit their day job at age 40, did their private/commercial/etc..... 5,000+ hrs tt later ... they made it to big red at age 49 last Dec 2017... I think with the current pilot shortage and it most likely continuing, it's probably never been a better time to be joining the industry. Add in companies like JAZZ, GGN, Porter, Pacific Coastal, etc. putting sub 1,000 hr pilots on the line and your potential to make it a career is high.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

You only get one shot at life, will you be happy with not having tried it?

Return to “General Comments”