Is a marginal turbine job better than a good piston job?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Parallel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is a marginal turbine job better than a good piston job?

Post by Parallel »

I'm calling on the wisdom of the forum to answer this age old question: Is a marginal turbine job better than a good piston job?

Turbine job: marginal pay, unknown location (likely with high cost of living), FO job on a turbine (King Air), opportunity for advancement.

Piston Job: pressurized twin, twice the $$, benefits, captain time, decent location with low cost of living, opportunity for advancement onto a turbine.

Career advancement at the expense of personal/financial suffering, or a good way of life on a piston twin? I'm amazed at what operators offer their turbine pilots (or what they don't offer!) - versus what piston operators are willing to pay to keep good people. Anyone else been confronted with this dillema?

Parallel
---------- ADS -----------

Carl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Carl »

Image Where is this haven that you speak of parallel ???

"Shut up over there"

Thump
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Thump »

But didn't you say you have the chance to move to a turbine machine in your own company...
Big difference there, assuming you have build a significant amount of multi-pic (1000h or so) (this is obviously needed for your upgrade into turbine-pic) moving to turbine is a good move. But how far away are you from moving into a turbine machine with your current company, it is just the start of some pretty good movement in the industry. How good is your relationship with your current company?
If you are in a position to discuss your upgrade within your company it may pay off. Myself, I was stuck on piston for a very long time, I had to take the opportunity, no doubt about it!

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

Stick with the PIC time. I beleave any multi-pic time is more valuable than being a ticket taker on a small turbine. Suposidly money cannot buy you happiness, but it sure as hell helps.

Good luck
NF

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Take the Turbine and I'll take your piston. :wink:

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

There is never 'one' correct answer to these questions. Do what feels/works right for you.

Remember there is more than one way to achieve your goals whatever they ma be.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Go for the Multi PIC hours and quality of life! It's a no brainer decision!!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

As RB211 says, you have to do what is right for you, but if it were me, I'd stick with the Piston job. How many times have you read guys whining on here about poor pay, benefits etc... You have an opportunity to join them on the turbine, if you wish. On the other hand, if you take (keep?) the piston job, do good work, then the turbine will come in time - and probably a left seat at that.

My $0.02

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
muchacho
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by muchacho »

well ....

Thats the million dollar question that I am trying to answer myself. Pre 9/11 and fall of C3 ... I was single and I would go to the end of the world to get into Airlines ....

Now it seems more like a pipe dream, hence I have hung my hat on a Navajo job (Piston PIC) that offers descent $$$ and a very good job security for the next few years. I have no chance at Turbines at the moment but I live a good life with my partner "Mrs. Muchacho". Sometimes I hate myself for not taking a risk at the moment, but things are good so I am sticking to the lifestyle for now until the dust settles in this crazy world.

My 2 cents

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Personally, Id stay put. Better pay, life style, PIC time and the possibility of advancment where your at - it's a no brainer. Besides, multi PIC time is more valuable then right seat time on a king air.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

If you're happy where you are stay put. A good working relationship and job satisfaction isn't easy to come by and leaving that behind for a potential job you don't seem to happy about other than the turbines is a big risk.

You said you can get onto turbines eventually where you are, all the more reason to stay.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

You can add my support to the Piston PIC column. I actually switched from a caravan job to a navajo job for better lifestyle, and much better pay. Multi PIC, with good pay and lifestyle can't do anything negative for you. Turbine FO time is much less valuable. Plus...a pressurized pistion twin....nothing wrong with that!

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Only you can know, Parallel. However, if it were me I would agree with staying at your current job. You sound happy there, remember, this is a career that we are in. Unless you are hell bent for leather to get turbine time to go to WestJet, Jetsgo, Air Transat or CanJet, I can't see much attraction rushing into something for financial hardship and questionable satisfaction for an uncertain future. Besides, it sounds to me that turbine time will come to you at your current company, maybe not tomorrow or next month, but unless you are looking for a change of scenery, why go?

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Parallel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Parallel »

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I agonized over it for days. Hell, I even wrote out a Pros/Cons list! The "pro" list on the piston job was long - the "con" list on the turbine was longer. It really was a no brainer in the end - sometimes takes a while to locate my brain, I guess.

I chose the piston job and am well satisfied with my choice. I'll keep you posted.

P.

Carl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Carl »

Now, parallel, about my question, where is this place that you speak of? It sounds like opportunity is plentiful there. How about spilling some of the beans to us unemployed pilots..I mean look at my shirt! I could really use a new one....

"Shut up over there"

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

A few people said, "Stay and take the PIC then when the time comes to go turbine you'll go captain right away." Or words to that effect. I call BS and say that any larger sized turbine operator in a big city more or less has a seniority system in place and regardless of what your time was coming in you'll sit right seat until its your "turn". Ya it sucks but thats the way it is. If you're looking to move back to the big city the sooner the better as unfortunately seniority is everything and past experience commonly counts for very little (other than to get you in the door).
But ya in the long run if you are already short on PIC then definitely stay and build it up as it is worth way more.

AIR 3.11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AIR 3.11 »

i'd have to agree with Dockjock......eventually you'll take a turbine job like the one you just turned down and will be at the back of the line with all the others.......pic is valuable, but i'd have to chose the later..... just my opinion. Plus, sometimes things aren't as good as they seem....pay and cheap living expenses do not always mean good lifestyle.... the turbine job you speak of might be sched......i'd take that any day over been stuck to a pager where i can't get a haircut, go see a doctor or do my significant other without being disturbed with call. Maybe that's just me though.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Dockjock wrote:A few people said, "Stay and take the PIC then when the time comes to go turbine you'll go captain right away." Or words to that effect. I call BS and say that any larger sized turbine operator in a big city more or less has a seniority system in place and regardless of what your time was coming in you'll sit right seat until its your "turn". ...
I think the implication was that the turbine opportunity would come later within the same company. In which case 'Captain' right away could be very likely.

Your point about a seniority system is otherwise valid and getting on sooner is the best option. If, of course, that is where yo want to be.

Return to “General Comments”