F*** You. Pay me.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

effin hippie
Rank 0
Rank 0

F*** You. Pay me.

Post by effin hippie »

Just thought I’d pop by to state the obvious.

With demand exceeding supply in the pilot market for the first time in a very long time, it behooves all of us to remember what to say whenever ANYONE brings it up.

“F*** you. Pay me.”

Say it to every employer. You want loyalty? You want my labour? After gleefully driving salaries into the toilet, gutting benefits, sending greenhorns out in garbage equipment?

“F*** you. Pay me.”

Say it to the public. After refusing to allow carriers to compete on nothing but price, expecting limousine service for the cost of a taxi ride, launching into hysterics every time you got bad feelings?

“F*** you. Pay me.”

Say it to the media, your MP, whoever, whenever you get the chance. This is not a crisis, it does not need a special program. There’s not a single a**hole out there who lost a moments peace profiting from an excess of supply in our profession. Now it’s our turn.

“F*** you. Pay me.”
---------- ADS -----------

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: F*** You. Pay me.

Post by moe »

i like your style

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

How do you suggest I word this in a cover letter?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Those of you who do take advice from internet strangers, just remember. They are almost certainly living a miserable millennial life subsidized by mommy, or they are underachieving middle age burnouts who never made it in the industry.
Its never those who make the money and have the jobs who whine on these sites. Work hard, don't be a knob and you will be taken care of by your employer.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

effin hippie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:02 pm Just thought I’d pop by to state the obvious.

“F*** you. Pay me.”
Ah yes the new generation of entitlement... I’ve never spoken like that to my employer or a customer. Instead I got paid on my experience and work ethic, I can attest that I was renumerated quite well. I’ve always been told I would be welcomed back at my old jobs if needed without an interview. Just remember that musical chair can stop quite quickly and what goes around comes around, it’s a small world. You act like a monkey, expect to be paid peanuts....

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

sanjet wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm I can attest that I was renumerated quite well.
Ok this is going to mess you up. The word you're looking for is "remunerated", not "renumerated". I only recently discovered this. I've been saying it incorrectly for years!

Otherwise I agree with your post completely. I've been in the industry for years and I've always felt I was fairly compensated. I work hard and try to keep my bitching to a minimum.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It has been a while since I commented here.

But I am happy I did not have this attitude towards those who paid me when I was working as a pilot.

I looked at it in another way, if I did not feel my employer was treating me fairly I quietly left and found another job.

If my employer was fair I made sure I made money for both of us, first for my employer and then I was paid my share because my employer was happy.

When I started working for myself my first concern was my client was happy and that worked like magic and my income just got better and better.

However I do think that everyone has the right to their own attitude towards their employer even if it is f*** you. :shock:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Cat Driver wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm It has been a while since I commented here.

But I am happy I did not have this attitude towards those who paid me when I was working as a pilot.

I looked at it in another way, if I did not feel my employer was treating me fairly I quietly left and found another job.
I agree with you totally.

At the end of the day who knows if this current hiring party will end and if the economy goes south again and pilots get laid off in droves and must return back to their same former employer for work, then all the better if one has not burned any bridges behind oneself.

Be respectful and even polite to your employer, every one of them good or bad since you never know how things can come back to haunt you in this business.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

digits_ wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm How do you suggest I word this in a cover letter?

I've had a really long shitty day. And this made me burst out laughing. Well done.

powder8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by powder8 »

I’ve been working over 25 years for various mom and pop operations (I realize this makes me sound stupid) and have noticed they all drive nicer cars and take nicer vacations. Wondering when those of use that work long days, long shifts, put our hart and soul into seasonal work will finally get to make a living?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

When summer comes, and crew sched calls begging for over time to cover that Yul to bos for min credit at time and a half. No thanks I will reply. Then half hour later after working to the bottom of this list when you get the second call "everyone said they don't want ot I'm so surprised, I thought I would call you again just to make sure because I thought you had no life!"

I will remind them time and a half of nothing is nothing. @#$! you pay me or I'm going to the beach and getting a tan allllll summer longggggg.

Honestly I gave up on the overtime chase. All the people paying for flica alerts picking up every shift they can. I can't tell ya'll what to do... But for all I care captains can get called to fly right seat because my piss poor pay in the right seat is not worth giving an ounce of my summer away to ot. After crew sched did a few shady things to bend the rules that was just icing on the cake for not giving one hoot about helping to do ot. But to each their own. Thanks for listening to me vent.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

phillyfan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm Those of you who do take advice from internet strangers, just remember. They are almost certainly living a miserable millennial life subsidized by mommy, or they are underachieving middle age burnouts who never made it in the industry.
Its never those who make the money and have the jobs who whine on these sites. Work hard, don't be a knob and you will be taken care of by your employer.
Im doing quite well for myself, I just like to argue lol

And your religious like faith in other people is quite funny

effin hippie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by effin hippie »

Oh ffs.

Sure. Maybe be a diplomat. Maybe ‘tell them to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip’.

Couch your language in a fashion that doesn’t bunch the panties like they’ve been bunched here.

But don’t mistake the message.

I can’t f***ing believe I have to elaborate:

“Time building is not compensation. The company pay scale is not the word of god. Contracts all come up for negotiation. F*** YOU. PAY ME.”

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

effin hippie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 am Oh ffs.

Sure. Maybe be a diplomat. Maybe ‘tell them to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip’.

Couch your language in a fashion that doesn’t bunch the panties like they’ve been bunched here.

But don’t mistake the message.

I can’t f***ing believe I have to elaborate:

“Time building is not compensation. The company pay scale is not the word of god. Contracts all come up for negotiation. F*** YOU. PAY ME.”
Amen

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Interesting to create an account just to rant (only three posts beside the OP's user name, all in this thread). Whatever happened to you, there are more productive coping skills than anonymous web tirades. I encourage you to learn them, better late than never.

Addicted4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Addicted4life »

I agree 100 per cent with the original poster. All you other posters are entitled to your opinion. However, some of those opinions are why aviation is in the state it is in. Owners have pitted us against each other and we attack like a bunch of rabid dogs fighting over a scrap of gristle. Even on this forum. Someone posts an opinion in hopes of improving our lot and making a stand against piss poor pay and working conditions (on average) and immediately the dogs attack. Why? Because if they hammer that nail that sticks up then they don't have to admit to being part of the problem. Let the hammering begin.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Chaxterium wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:53 pm
sanjet wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm I can attest that I was renumerated quite well.
Ok this is going to mess you up. The word you're looking for is "remunerated", not "renumerated". I only recently discovered this. I've been saying it incorrectly for years!

Otherwise I agree with your post completely. I've been in the industry for years and I've always felt I was fairly compensated. I work hard and try to keep my bitching to a minimum.
I always thought it was renumerated too. I bet there are a few of us. My vocabulary is improved. :smt040

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

What a bunch of whining babies. Here is some advice; don't ever chase money, if you are good at what you do, the money will find you. Spend your energy doing the best possible job you can and the money will take care of itself.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I agree with the message. The working conditions in this industry have deteriorated for so long that nobody wants to be a pilot anymore. Hence the pilot shortage!

The tone and crudeness used to deliver the message needs to be put in context. This is Avcanada, not often is anything sugar coated.

How do you say "F*** You. Pay me" in real life? You, the pilot are in demand, offer your services to the highest bidder, not just financially but quality of life too. You're getting paid $38,000 in your current job and another company is offering to pay you $50,000 with similar benefits and QOL. Well that's a no brainer. Tell your old boss why you are leaving, but be tactful. When the industry slows down again, you may need that old job back. Never burn a bridge (unless it's Skyward).

Return to “General Comments”