What kind of watch do you wear?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: What kind of watch do you wear?

Post by Boney »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 am
Heliian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 am
Zaibatsu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 am Anyone else ever tire after pulling their phone from their pocket for the hundredth time only to have a mind fck when it’s hopped three time zones? No thanks.
Why would you be checking the time so much? I would also be expecting a time zone change as I arrive in a different time zone.
If you don’t have a watch, you are pulling out your phone every time you want to check the time.

Maybe if you’re in the same city every time, knowing the time zone is easy. Do you know exact time zone boundaries everywhere you fly? Do you know where they observe daylight savings time and where they don’t? That’s the whole reason aviation runs on Zulu.
Which is why I'm now using my iPhone. I keep it using the 24hr format and it updates automatically to the time zone I enter when out of airplane mode, or while in airplane mode using wifi. I do keep a list of favorite cities in world clock section of the clock app so that I don't have to calculate their local time, lazy on my part.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Jet Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm I for one drive a new Audi not because I'm a snob but because I appreciate the car for its engineering, its quality and fun to drive aspect.
Staying on topic... I drive a VW GTI because it's more fun and is an unpretentious sleeper just like my watch. 8) ;)

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

FICU wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 am
Jet Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm I for one drive a new Audi not because I'm a snob but because I appreciate the car for its engineering, its quality and fun to drive aspect.
Staying on topic... I drive a VW GTI because it's more fun and is an unpretentious sleeper just like my watch. 8) ;)

LOL... I think a red B9 A4 sedan Quattro with blacked out windows, "black optiks" option, with a front Carbon Fibre splitter plus rear Carbon Fibre diffuser and lowered suspension is more a sleeper car than a Golf GTI but then I may be wrong. :-) :lol: :oops: :roll:

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Jet Jockey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:51 am LOL... I think a red B9 A4 sedan Quattro with blacked out windows, "black optiks" option, with a front Carbon Fibre splitter plus rear Carbon Fibre diffuser and lowered suspension is more a sleeper car than a Golf GTI but then I may be wrong. :-) :lol: :oops: :roll:
See... a splitter and a functional diffuser, especially in carbon fibre, are just like all those extra dials, numbers, and tic marks on a pretentious watch... fluff and more fluff to make you think people are impressed. A B9 A4 doesn't have near the performance to even need that crap. All show and no go... :lol:

And lowering it does nothing but remove all that Audi engineering on making the suspension perform at it's best so you think you can look cool.

BTW.. the definition of a sleeper is something that looks normal and plain but goes like stink. Carbon, black outs, and lowering is just ricing it up. :lol:

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Don't wear one. If your operator can't supply a clock....
If you need the time, focus on the hottest FA around (girls included ;)) and ask her the time. Off you go - hopefully. I have 2 dinner plates - one from Tabacco Jewellery of Lentini Sicily and the other from a truly old school watchmaker down on Corydon in Winterpeg. He considers it an honour to make watches for the RCAF but (apart from having affixed the RCAF wings in inlaid gold) anyone can get one of his great watches to your design. He uses Breitling movements and then can likely personalize yours as you wish. Arthur Lupu is his name. His creation is a bit more subtle than the Sicilian discus. I like both, but for work, I prefer something either semi-disposable or along the lines of a Fitbit (I have a Garmin Vivo) that will chirp at you when it's time to ding the FA's for a piss/stretch break and also tracks your sleep patterns when on the road. As a bonus, should you have a really bad day and have to go down the slides, AND your watch wrist gets caught on something, a rubber wristband is a tearaway.......like the best designed FA uniforms. I digress. Bring back the fun times!!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

mijbil wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 pm .....like the best designed FA uniforms. I digress. Bring back the fun times!!
🍻

S.

express315
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by express315 »

Tissot T-Touch titanium.
Compass, altimeter, barometer, temperature and dual time.
Dial glass is a touch screen that controls most functions.

1000tolevel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1000tolevel »

iPhone in my pocket. GPS clock on the dash. GPS time in FMS. Why would I wear a watch?

express315
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by express315 »

GPS is controlled by a government of other country and can be turned off without a notice.
IPhone is not an accessory - it's a cult.

theflyinghotdog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by theflyinghotdog »

-

Last edited by theflyinghotdog on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

express315 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:56 am GPS is controlled by a government of other country and can be turned off without a notice.
Okay... GPS, Glonass, and Beidu(sp?) in my phone. All three controlled by another country and could be turned off without notice, but i'd guess that the probability of all three being down at the same time is nearly zero.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:38 am
express315 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:56 am GPS is controlled by a government of other country and can be turned off without a notice.
Okay... GPS, Glonass, and Beidu(sp?) in my phone. All three controlled by another country and could be turned off without notice, but i'd guess that the probability of all three being down at the same time is nearly zero.
And even if that happens, not knowing exactly what time it is, would be the least of your concern :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
JP68
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JP68 »

Suunto Core. I have about 20 watches, but the Suunto Core is my choice for flying. Easy to read, light, second time-zone for Zulu-time, Altimeter, Barometer and Compass built in. Perfect for me!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I finally caved and bought a pilot watch a few months ago. Ok, I bought one long before that... but the $5 wish dot com Breitling knockoff with a poorly aligned E6B and five minutes a day inaccuracy that the crown eventually ripped off of probably doesn’t count. :rolleyes:

I bought a Torgoen T9 GMT. It’s small and understated for a pilot’s watch, but very easy to read. Has an extra hand for Zulu time and a date window. It was about $200 all in.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

One of the fellas at work has a fit bit. He likes it as it helps him with his diet and exercise discipline. It will give a nice record of calories in and calories burned and activity .
Last week it displayed he had been masturbating for eight miles :)

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

2R wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:39 am One of the fellas at work has a fit bit. He likes it as it helps him with his diet and exercise discipline. It will give a nice record of calories in and calories burned and activity .
Last week it displayed he had been masturbating for eight miles :)
Does it give you an electric shock when you go back to the breakfast buffet for seconds? I might need that...

WeatherMaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WeatherMaster »

HiFlyChick wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:48 am Wow! I'm blown away by the money you guys are spending on watches! I guess I'd better look for the cheap, oops, I mean thrifty pilot forum....

If it were me, I'd take the dough, by a cheap watch (since who uses one anyway, as has been said) and go find a Pitts somewhere to do some aerobatics in

But then again, I've driven a lot of fords
Ya, I am with you HiFly..I can not justify spending that kind of money on a wristwatch. I had a Casio that had all the bells and whistles from Wally World probably about 20 years ago and paid around $60 for it. It lasted me something like 15 years and never went out of style until it died on me...15 years is a pretty good return for $60 watch! At that time I was looking for a fancy-dancy pilot watch but was blown away by the cost, and I had just got my first smartphone and decided to pocket the money go bare wristed and do the mental math for the GMT conversions...lol! I have been bare wristed ever since and do not miss it in the least. However, I do like watches or the style of them and someone posted a Casio here early that I kind of liked and now I am debating buying one again....lol...or maybe not...take the 160 and go for a nice dinner instead or maybe buy a new tool for my shop...lol

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

I have a fitbit. Measures steps as i bounce in a cloud and i feel good after landing with so much physical activity. 😀

Return to “General Comments”