Orca is no longer

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Message
Author
Piston_Pounder
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Orca is no longer

#1 Post by Piston_Pounder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Grapevines tell me that Integra bought up Orca and took over the Dynamex contract they had. Almost all of Orca's fleet is up for sale on controller dot com. Just in time too. Orca was on a fast track to being responsible for multiple people's demise.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#2 Post by Black_Tusk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

I was told they are on 30 day notice from Transport Canada. And also that all their planes are for sale.
---------- ADS -----------
  

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#3 Post by altiplano » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Good.

Crap operator. Pilots will land on their feet in a hurry, getting out of there is a favour.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Stratus_Slayer
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#4 Post by Stratus_Slayer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Bought by Integra Air. No word yet if pilots are out a job
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
privateer
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:49 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#5 Post by privateer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 am

Just another BC Lower Mainland operator who tried to use the "but its Vancouver" line to help run the business. I knew 2 guys killed by their predecessor. Hopefully an Alberta company will straighten things up out there.
---------- ADS -----------
  

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#6 Post by CpnCrunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm

I wonder if the Tofino screwup had something to do with this. I was talking to one of the other operators and they said it was normal for them to do contact approaches there. (Not sure if they were talking about Orca, or themselves as well). On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
privateer
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:49 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#7 Post by privateer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm

I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..
---------- ADS -----------
  

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#8 Post by CpnCrunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:34 pm

privateer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm
I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..
They'd just need to get an LPV approach set up so they can reliably get in there.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Zaibatsu
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#9 Post by Zaibatsu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm

CpnCrunch wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm
On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.
It will help if the weather is directly over the airport with it wide open over the ocean. Not saying that’s what happened here, but it’s quite common at airports near a body of water where the field will be covered

A couple of times, a traditional approach has put me right in the soup on track at minimums, while a contact would have got me easily and safely down by going around everything.
---------- ADS -----------
  

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#10 Post by CpnCrunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Zaibatsu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm
CpnCrunch wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm
On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.
It will help if the weather is directly over the airport with it wide open over the ocean. Not saying that’s what happened here, but it’s quite common at airports near a body of water where the field will be covered

A couple of times, a traditional approach has put me right in the soup on track at minimums, while a contact would have got me easily and safely down by going around everything.
The runway overrun incident happened in 400ft overcast in 3/4SM, so not legal for contact approach anyway. Circling isn't really going to work either. I can't really think of any reasonable method of landing there in those conditions, but the incident makes a lot more sense if they were trying to do some kind of contact approach.
---------- ADS -----------
  

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#11 Post by yycinformer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Piston_Pounder wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm
Almost all of Orca's fleet is up for sale on controller dot com.
Hmmm...not seeing them
---------- ADS -----------
  

Its What I do
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#12 Post by Its What I do » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 pm

aircraft canada Lorne had them on the controller this am , now they are gone . High time HOs...........cheap im sure .
my guess King air will stay on with new owner and the 99s who knows ...........
---------- ADS -----------
  

Zaibatsu
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#13 Post by Zaibatsu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:11 pm

CpnCrunch wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 pm

The runway overrun incident happened in 400ft overcast in 3/4SM, so not legal for contact approach anyway. Circling isn't really going to work either. I can't really think of any reasonable method of landing there in those conditions, but the incident makes a lot more sense if they were trying to do some kind of contact approach.
No, that’s not kosher. Probably dipped below minimums or tried to get visual references looking down instead of ahead. They would have been approach banned if there was reported visibility.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#14 Post by Black_Tusk » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:22 am

Zaibatsu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm
CpnCrunch wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm
On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.
It will help if the weather is directly over the airport with it wide open over the ocean. Not saying that’s what happened here, but it’s quite common at airports near a body of water where the field will be covered

A couple of times, a traditional approach has put me right in the soup on track at minimums, while a contact would have got me easily and safely down by going around everything.
Same
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Rowdy
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4897
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: On Borrowed Wings

Re: Orca is no longer

#15 Post by Rowdy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am

Samesies!

I typed up a big response to cpncrunch.. but it would have looked like I was picking on him. So i nixed it.

There are some local weather phenomenon in YAZ depending on the winds that would put you going missed on the RNAV 29 if you didn't use the contact. It also puts you close to 500ft over the button of the runway. Both operators use the contact all the time. The RVAN for 11 is almost useless. I'd be curious to see what its like with the runway lighting now (haven't been in there in three years). An LPV would be awesome too.

I was there shortly after that so called excursion and there was some significant standing water near the taxiway and elsewhere . I don't remember seeing any tire tracks in the grass.

I won't discredit anyone, but me thinks the pax that complained just wanted some $ or notoriety. Theres a lot of dislike for Orca on the coast too, so they were always under the magnifying glass..

As for YAZ, why aren't we running a dash in there daily?!?!? Connect all the europeans directly.
---------- ADS -----------
  

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#16 Post by CpnCrunch » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am
Both operators use the contact all the time.
In that case, perhaps it had nothing to do with that incident. As pointed out, they couldn't have legally done a contact approach on that day anyway. Without any TSB report or updated CADOR all we can do is speculate.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Piston_Pounder
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#17 Post by Piston_Pounder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:06 pm

privateer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm
I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..
More grapevines tell me that PASCO is in fact starting a scheduled run to Tofino.
---------- ADS -----------
  

ragequit
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:08 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#18 Post by ragequit » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Piston_Pounder wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:06 pm
privateer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm
I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..
More grapevines tell me that PASCO is in fact starting a scheduled run to Tofino.
It's not really a secret or anything.
http://www.pacificcoastal.com/new-daily-service-tofino/
http://www.pacificcoastal.com/tofino/
---------- ADS -----------
  

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#19 Post by trey kule » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Crunch wrote


all we can do is speculate.

There is another option..


Speculation....coming to a conclusion before one knows the facts....
---------- ADS -----------
  
Everyone is a genius in hindsight

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#20 Post by CpnCrunch » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:53 pm

trey kule wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 pm

all we can do is speculate.

There is another option..
The other option is to throw up our hands and say accidents just happen and there's nothing we can do about them.
---------- ADS -----------
  

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Re: Orca is no longer

#21 Post by trey kule » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:04 pm

Well, there is another option ....to just not speculate.. and wait for the facts to be made known... i know, I know, that would not provide the immediate gratification to the instant generation.

The assumption you claim is that speculation will somehow decrease accidents. Can you provide any backup to this assumption?
As a wise poster once said, there are no new causes of accidents. We repeat the same ones over and over..

Pelmet researches old accidents ....where as many facts that can be known, are known.

Just might be a better way to learn, if you really need an accident to learn from.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Everyone is a genius in hindsight

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#22 Post by CpnCrunch » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:21 pm

trey kule wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:04 pm
and wait for the facts to be made known...
There aren't going to be any more facts. There is no TC/TSB investigation for this.
Pelmet researches old accidents ....where as many facts that can be known, are known.
That's certainly valuable as well. But for a lot of the airports I fly to there are never any final reports or factors other than the initial CADOR. I prefer to understand the risks so I don't repeat the accidents.
---------- ADS -----------
  

YVRLTN
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#23 Post by YVRLTN » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Been a few Integra aircraft visits over the past couple of weeks incl the Westwind which may be related. 2nd visit I saw it parked outside the Orca hangar last week. Inevitable, the place is an aircraft graveyard and KayDee are growing and jumped into their YAZ turf (they picked up another ex Airco ho this month to take them 5). Apparently one of the Metro's 'IOA has gone to Skylink, but still seems inop, has an engine missing after reports of flames during engine runs...
---------- ADS -----------
  

keepitreal
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 am

Re: Orca is no longer

#24 Post by keepitreal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 am

Wow....not quite all the facts, and the opinions are free.
These two companies...Orca and KD, do not have caravans...they use the ho's , you got that right at least, and 99's and 200's.
Integra taking over is a good good thing for the pilots and passengers....here's hoping cowls don't go flying off too frequently.
With Westjet moving into Alberta using SAAB's Integra and Georgian are going to take a huge hit....moving into BC was a smart move.
Small companies can't compete....Pasco is big enough to withstand most and now has the relationship with Westjet that will surely provide the support to keep them flying for a long time. Maybe they can upgrade the fleet a bit?
---------- ADS -----------
  

boeingboy
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 946
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: West coast

Re: Orca is no longer

#25 Post by boeingboy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Orca's metros were sold to a company back east...the name escapes me right now but it definitely wasn't Skylink. The new company is just storing it in the same hanger as Skylink. IOA's engine has been missing for years after they had power problems but no flames. Then the old "we'll swap 1 engine on one plane for another" game started and they never caught up. Hell - one of their 99's was painted and had a whole glass cockpit put in it and now it had 1 engine die - then the other was robbed for some other plane and now it's on block in the hanger being used as a parts plane.

That place is a wreak......I wonder if Integra knows what they are in for.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”